Archives Search Engine
Searching for: +path:roots
- 476. [ROOTS-L] Obit please Marin ct Ca 
- Would like an obit for Richard Nagle d May 1985 in San Rafael Ca Marin
- 477. Re: [ROOTS-L] Older Obituaries 
Can you be more specific. How much older and where?
On 21/01/2008, Donna Autrey wrote:
> Input Please.... on places to look for older obituaries....On Line.
> I know the Libraries are one of the best for writing...
> Thank You
> If you would prefer digest mode to mail mode, drop a note to
> email@example.com and ask for the digest...
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
- 478. Re: [ROOTS-L] Family Trees on line - An invasion of Privacy? 
- I am not sure of how many are aware of this. Perhaps it is not proper
genealogical etiquette to list a name of a living person,
Many local governments have public databases that include property records,
marriage and death records, criminal records ect that are all current.
Newspaper archives offer articles from now back to whenever.
Anyone researching a local government office can get most any record.
Face it we are in 2008. You want privacy become a hermit.
On 1/1/08, Kirsten Bow
- 479. Re: [ROOTS-L] SSDI - Who is Included? 
- Not true.
I can list at least one person who I know for a fact never received any sort
of benefits, died in a car accident at 23. He's in the SSDI. I'm sure he's
not the only one.
On 1/4/08 14:13, "Nora Nell" wrote:
> There again it goes back to the fact that only those receiving benefits
> would be included in the SSDI.
- 480. [ROOTS-L] wrong data 
- Someone in both Ancestry and World Connect has my dad married to his mother - one person has his fathers last name as Hatch and his last name as Heathcoe-
- 481. Re: [ROOTS-L] Online Tree Accuracy: was Family Tree -Invasion ofPrivacy 
I think the danger in OneWorldTree is that it's assembled by computer with
no weight given to databases with good sourcing and logical links versus
those with garbled connections; it's a simple vote by the majority--even
when the majority is wrong. Then people download the flawed results and
post them, creating another vote for the erring majority. Another problem
is that OneWorldTree hasn't been updated for several years. The issue is
probably moot, however, since I believe I saw a notice that
- 482. [ROOTS-L] Iinvasion of Privacy 
- Did he say it was a invasion of his privacy?
He has a rather high opinion of himself, what makes him think, any body would even care to find anything out about him? Very much self-centered, if he thinks we even give a fig leaf what he thinks.
- 483. Re: [ROOTS-L] wrong data 
My children's 97 year old great-grandmother recently went into a nursing home and her children had to find a copy of her birth certificate, she didn't have one at home so they had to send for one, but nobody could find it. She was born Nov. 25, 1910. They finally found it and it said she was born Nov. 30, 1910. Not only that but her maiden name was Campieri and the birth certificate said it was Cambi, and it gave a middle initial of S., and she doesn't have a middle name. We don't know what to think. If
- 484. Re: [ROOTS-L] Copying Family Tree Info 
- Re Laurie's comments:
I, personally have been referring to sharing family tree information
that has NOT been published. As for those trees that have been
published, referencing them as such should take care of the problem as
they've already posted them in the public domain. But, "technically"
taking any work in it's entirety and republishing without permission
has the "potential" to cause problems. If someone has already
published their tree, they probably wouldn't care if someone else
- 485. [ROOTS-L] Lowell MA Directories for 1903, 1929 and 1937 
- Hello everyone. Not sure if my first email went through, so forgive me if you received this twice. I was having computer problems.
Just a reminder that I have Lowell Massachusetts directories for the years 1903, 1929 and 1937. If anyone would like a lookup, please don't hesitate to ask.
searching for Curtin, Drumm, Gorman, Reilly, Lacourse
- 486. Re: [ROOTS-L] Changing given names, Surnames 
This is somewhat of a common problem I think. With several of us working on
the family tree (pre 'net) we came up with several different names for the
same person. Also my dad's family is just ornery enough to change a name
just for the heck of, especially in the 1800s.
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:42:48 -0600
> From: "juanita"
> Subject: [ROOTS-L] Changing given names
> I've had the same problem with my family - changing or s
- 487. Re: [ROOTS-L] RAOGK 
- To Andy & Neal
Being a volunteer has its rewards, but I stopped because I couldn't take the constant inquiries as to WHY I hadn't finished a request, when I specifically stated when I would perform it. I had one complain to RAOGK about me because I didn't do it fast enough. I get lots of thanks, but some people expect the MOON!
I thank you for clearing this matter up and making your point very clear! I appreciate the time and effort all volunteers have given!
- 488. [ROOTS-L] another general misspelled surname at Ancestry 
- anyone researching Steuben/Steubing or Sterling who can access Ancestry,
I was alerted to this misspelling when I found a Sterling relative mispelled
as Stenbing in Pennsylvania to Waterloo (Ontario, Canada), and went in
search of them at Ancestry and attempting to figure out whether the surname
Stenbing actually exists-I don't think it does, I think it's a mistranscript
and only that.
there are a number of hits for it at Ancestry, so if you can't find your
Steuben/Steubing or Sterli
- 489. Re: [ROOTS-L] --***BIRTH RECORD-(1918)*** ROOTS Digest, Vol 3, Issue 54 
GREETINGS to One & all;
Is there a Kind soul out there who can help an old War Horse, in a
time of need???
Our Dear MOTHER- *RUBY FRANCES (MONTGOMERY)-AYERS* has recently passed
on into GLORY-[29DEC07], in her Nineth Year!!!
Born -(1918), in "GORDO/ PICKENS[Tuscaloosa],AL" to *NAOMIE
(HINTON)-MONTGOMERY & HOMER MONTGOMERY*!!!
We have been trying to get a "BIRTH RECORD", with negative results thus
far, When we made contact with "PICKENS COUNTY, AL", we were told they
- 490. [ROOTS-L] family trees 
- I also have contacted others, who listed family members of mine, but with some incorrect information. I have the actual records. When I asked where the information had come from, I was told he had no idea, just that he had over 25000 names, but never kept track of where they came from. Very sloppy genealogy in my estimation.
- 491. Re: [ROOTS-L] Ezekiel Simpson 1850 
Hezekiah Simpson 38 farmer b NC
Martha 40 b SC
Sophia 20 b Geo.
Anne 18 b Geo.
Ezekiel H 15 b Geo.
Martha J 12 b Geo
Asa J 18 labour b Geo
Sarah I 10 b Geo
Malinda T? 6 b Geo
Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: , Shelby, Alabama; Roll:
M432_14; Page: 195; Image: 651.
Note -- Asa, Sarah, and Malinda, although with the same Simpson name, may
not be children of Hezekiah and Martha, as they are added at the bottom.
Perhaps the children of a brother?
Pat (in Tucson)
- 492. [ROOTS-L] ReSSDI 
- I think that some people are confusing "receiving benefits" as the deceased
person actually receiving benefits. If a person dies before collecting social
security the family often requests a death benefit for the deceased which I
think is somewhere around $250.00. Therefore, SS is notified of a death
Doesn't mean that the deceased collected benefits.
**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.
- 493. [ROOTS-L] New Old Photos - just added 
- New photos added this week at http://www.familyoldphotos.com
Camden, Arkansas Football Team, 1930s all unknown
Roasting a Steer, Waterloo, Wisconsin 1907 unknown men
Bible School, Colliers, WV Unknown Group all unknown
McAlester, OK Skelly Gas Station
State Street, Geneseo, IL early 1900s
State Street, Geneseo, IL 1940s
Redding Burns and Nancy Wright Burns and Children
Gilbert and Gilman Parker
Allen Boys and Butler Boys 1918
Okie Burgess Young - Detroit, MI Bowling League Late 1940's
Okie Burgess Young -
- 494. Re: [ROOTS-L] Ancestry discounts? 
- Yes, Myra it is a good deal, IF one has $150 to $200 to spend at one time.
My money comes in monthly ... and I don't get enough to save anything, so
I try to spend monthly. Ancestry charges extra for a monthly subscription,
penalizing people who can't afford their yearly fees.
I don't have a cell phone, can't afford it, but I do have cable TV, which I
pay for monthly.
Raising the US census from $40 to $100 is one enormous jump ... almost
Toni in Michigan
----- Original Message -----
- 495. [ROOTS-L] (no subject) 
- Need advice on establishing a genealogical website with a database of 5500
names. Thank you.
**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.
- 496. Re: [ROOTS-L] wrong data 
- Some folks just should not do genealogy.I have this one fellow ,who has my
ancestor married to his ancestor (instead of mine) , and no matter how many
times one tells him , no matter how many times you give him examples of
records that show her married to my ancestor ,records that cover times when
he says she was married to his ancestor .Records where she is clearly
married to my ancestor .
He continues to place her as his ancestor even though if one does the math
she was 11 years old when he has her
- 497. [ROOTS-L] AKENS, AVERY, BARKDULL, BARNETT, BARR 
- Following is a list of family groups sheets. All I am askng is postage for them. They are from the collection of a deceased friend. If you are interested in having these, please
e-mail me first telling me which file you are intersted in. I will send
instructions on how to get them (these will cost you a Self addressed stamped
envelope.) Some later files are much larger and the postage will be more
AKENS Samuel L. b. 1818 (1 FGS)
AVERY Sam m. Rose Ann BO
- 498. Re: [ROOTS-L] Family History 
- I've interspersed my replies and quoted relevant portions of Neal
Underwood's message in quotes below:
<< The following response to my message is simply wrong. Ancestry's own
descriptions disprove those statements. Further, this person continues to
extract one small piece of my message out of context and use that to
repeatedly divert and distort the discussion in such a way that it
diminishes relevancy to the original point. Further, my comments include
citations and quotations with supporting i
- 499. [ROOTS-L] Iinvasion of Privacy 
- I found myself and my sister in someone's family tree on ancestry.com.
I sent them an email asking how they were
related to me, since I couldn't really figure it out based on their
tree. They did not respond. I was not really that concerned about the
violation of privacy, since
my name would probably show up to most people as "living Francis" on
ancestry. But I think it's really rude to put someone in your tree and
then not respond to their emails.
- 500. [ROOTS-L] Census info please 
Is there someone on the list that can look up a census. please ?
1920 or 1930 census for Gaskill Twp., Jefferson County, Pa.
Evan Stiver husband
Laura Ethel Stiver b. 1898 age 32 wife
And any children that are listed.
Thanking you in advance,
RAKING THE LEAVES OF MY ANCESTORS BACK TO THE TREE.
CPU seconds used 0.277957