2ND-GEORGIA-CAVALRY-L Archives

Archiver > 2ND-GEORGIA-CAVALRY > 2003-03 > 1047342286

Subject: [2ND-GA-CAVALRY] Re: 2nd Regiment Columbus Guards
Date: 10 Mar 2003 17:24:46 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/IKC.2ACIAE/8.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

Donna,

I don't know what resources you have available to you. The best thing to do is look for your soldier in the Compiled Service Records. The Georgia Archives and a number of good Southern libraries will have these records. If you don't have access to any of these go to the following site at the National Archives to learn how to request any records from the National Archives:

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/obtain_copies/veterans_service_records.html

Confederate state records are another good source of information. For more information go to the following site:

http://members.aol.com/mapurdy16/findsol.htm

Unfortunately some of the information at this site is dated, and I'm not sure all the links are still good.

Check your local library for a genealogy group or genealogy classes. You can also use the internet. There are a number of free genealogical resources, but be careful, because genealogy is the number one hobby in the US, there are a lot of people on the web who will charge you for genealogical information. Stick with the free sites until you learn the ropes.

Mike

This thread: