2ND-GEORGIA-CAVALRY-L Archives

Archiver > 2ND-GEORGIA-CAVALRY > 2003-03 > 1047111335

Subject: [2ND-GA-CAVALRY] Re: civilian soldier roster from the Civil War
Date: 8 Mar 2003 01:15:35 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/IKC.2ACIAE/6.1

Message Board Post:

Donna,

I don't know which roster you mean, but if you are talking about the "Roster of the Confederate Soldiers of Georgia", by Lillian Henderson, you should know that this roster only covers the regiments of Georgia volunteer infantry and a couple of battalions of infantry. Most of the battalions of infantry, local defense troops, state guards, state troops, state line, cavalry, artillery, Georgia legions, independent companies, engineers, etc. are not covered by her roster. The Georgia Archives have these records.

It is possible that he may have served as a state or county official. I have an ancestor who was an enrolling officer in Forsyth Co. It will be necessary to look at county records during the war years to try and find such service. This is usually not an easy task. I would look through the military records first. If you can get to the Georgia Archives a good place to start would be the Name Index card file from the Georgia Confederate Pensions and Records Department. This index can be found on microfilm in drawer 253 starting with microfilm box 1. The Georgia Confederate Pensions and Records Department used this file until 1960 to locate any information available concerning a Georgia Confederate soldier's service in the War Between the States.

This thread: