3RD-ARKANSAS-CAVALRY-L ArchivesArchiver > 3RD-ARKANSAS-CAVALRY > 2002-08 > 1029808277
From: "Troy Groves" <>
Subject: [3RD-AK-CAVALRY] NPS 3rd Arkansas Cavalry summary
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:51:17 -0700
The NPS Soldier Sailor System's Summary for the
3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry
3rd Cavalry Regiment was organized in July, 1861, and included the 1st
(Borland's) Arkansas Cavalry Battalion and three companies of J. L.
Williamson's Arkansas Infantry Battalion. For a time it was stationed at
Pocahontas, Randolph County, Arkansas, where at least some of the men were
recruited. Originally called 1st Arkansas Mounted Volunteers, the C. S. War
Department ordered its designation to be 3rd Cavalry on January 15, 1862.
Only 395 effectives crossed the Mississippi River in 1862. It always had a
manpower problem but participated in more engagements than any other
Arkansas command. The regiment was dismounted when it fought at Corinth,
then was remounted and assigned to General Armstrong's and T. Harrison's
Brigade. It fought at Thompson's Station, Franklin, and Chickamauga, took
part in the Knoxville and Atlanta Campaigns, and was active in the defense
of Savannah and the campaign of the Carolinas. When the Army of Tennessee
surrendered, few of its members were present.
The field officers were Colonels Solon Borland, Samuel G. Earle, and Amson
W. Hobson; Lieutenant Colonels Benjamin F. Danley, James M. Gee, and M. J.
Henderson; and Majors William H. Blackwell, J. F. Earle, and David F. Shall.
|[3RD-AK-CAVALRY] NPS 3rd Arkansas Cavalry summary by "Troy Groves" <>|