3RD-ARKANSAS-CAVALRY-L Archives

Archiver > 3RD-ARKANSAS-CAVALRY > 2006-10 > 1162294610

Subject: Re: [3RD-ARKANSAS-CAVALRY] George W. Dalton
Date: 31 Oct 2006 04:36:50 -0700

Surnames: I"M Researching the SURNAME s ( COOKE BUTLER LOWE HEFFINGTON HODGE GRIFFITH RAMSEY MARX COOK BEAN SNYDER MAXWELL PRICE LONG CUMMINGHAM GIST CUMMING S HOLTSHOUSER HEAVENHILL DANT JOHNSON WATSONS SATTERFIELD FULFER BAKER KEITHLEY BEVELS GARRETT FEHR /FAIR/F
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/HDC.2ACIAE/5.1.1.1.2

Message Board Post:

PEOPLE AROUND ENOLA (Faulkner Co., AR)
1830 TO 1880
by Debrill Ingram
This History is housed at the Arkansas History Comission in Little Rock Arkansas , hope you find this helpful i'm the Grand son of Henry H Heffington and John Cummings both interred in Heffington Cemetery in Enola Arkansas. Thanks
Rick

In discussing the early history of this part of the country, and its
settlement, we have to bring in just a bit of history. Where we are
now was a part of Missouri territory until 1819. We were a part of
New Madrid County, and this county reached from New Madrid,
Missouri, to the north Louisiana line. Louisiana was made a state
in 1812, Missouri in 1819 and Arkansas in 1836.

The principal settlements in Arkansas in 1819 were: Davidsonville,
Arkansas Post, Cadron, Hopefield, Camden, Helena, Washington
and Little Rock. A few settlers were scattered around Pine Bluff,
Batesville, Grand Glaise, Giltrough and Jacksonport.

November 20, 1819, was the first election of any kind in Arkansas.
On February 4, 1820, the county sear of Pulaski county was moved
to the mouth of the Cadron, to the town of Cadron, and what we
now call Cedar Park. Little Rock was made the state capitol in
1821. At that time, it only had one store, with very scanty supplies,
but with a large supply of “Old Bald Face”.

By 1825 the Greathouse Home was already built at what we now
call Liberty. It was 38 miles north of Little Rock and 8 miles east
of what is now Conway, on the Little Rock and Clinton road, which
were by Holland, by Jonathan Hardin’s house, by where my great
grandfather Ingram later lived, and on to Clinton. It joined the
Batesville road there. The Searcy-Springfield road crossed this
road at Jonathan Hardin's house. The Des Arc-Lewisburg road
came by El Paso, which was called Peach Orchard Gap in those
days; by Bristol, a mile south of Enola, on by Union Valley Church,
and joined the Little Rock-Clinton road at the Bowie place. Most
of the early settlers in this part of the country, settled on or near
one of these roads.

I have heard all my life of the settlement of Jonathan Hardin at the
Hardin Hill on the Cadron. What has intrigued me even more is
“Who were the next settlers”? In this connection, you must
remember that roads were almost nonexistent, in those days. The
first road of any kind to touch Faulkner county anywhere, was the
Little Rock to Cadron road in 1807.

Cadron was one of the early post offices, having been established in
1820, with Eli J. Lewis as the Postmaster. Cadron was dying out in
the late 1820’s and the office was discontinued. The people around
what is now Conway then got their mail at a new office called
Green Grove. It was near where Bill Ross now has a store.
Cadron was reestablished in 1848 and the office was at Jonathan
Hardin’s house in 1850. Census records for 1860 show it at Great
grand Pa Ingram's post office. About his same time, we had an
office at Caney Creek. It was about a mile and a half southeast of
Enola. Muddy Bayou township reached from Mt. Vernon to the
Cadron, and south of the Searcy-Springfield road to the Bayou.
North of this road was Benton Township and it reached north to
Quitman and Heber Springs. West of the Hardin hill to about 5
miles west of Greenbrier was Hardin Township. East Fork was
south of that and Cadron was south of East Fork. Mail service in
those days was even worse than it is at present. You had to go get
your mail, when you though you might have some, and you had to
do that until 1904. There was no RFD service at Enola until Sept.
17, 1914, and Marvin Matthews was the first carrier.

The first steamboat to go up the Arkansas River, by Toadsuck, was
the Eagle in 1822. The worst river accident that ever happened on
the Arkansas River was the Lewisburg in 1820, when the boilers
blew up on the Cherokee. It was bound for Ft. Gibson. It sank in
15 feet of water, with 17 killed and 20 seriously wounded.

I offer these bits of history just to show what a primitive state this
country was in, which our forefathers began to come in , in the
1830’s. the families that I will discuss settled within five or six
miles each way of Enola. If I overlook some early settler, or make
you kin to the wrong person, it's just and error on my part. Lots of
early history is very hard to prove.

Jonathan Hardin left the town of Cadron about 1830 and went up
the East Ford of Cadron Creek, and settled about 5 miles northwest
of Enola. The place is still called the Hardin Hill and Hardin Bridge
on the Cadron. There had already been a shack about a half a mile
east of the Hardin Hill, and the place was known, in earlier days as
“Frederick's Lick:. It was a salt lick about a half a mile north of
where Uncle Jess Hoggard later lived. It's the only salt lick that I
know of on the Cadron.

In 1818 it had this description, made by the Benedicts on their trip
from Herculaneum, Missouri, to the town of Cadron. On the route
we passed only one house from the Little Red River to the mouth
of the Cadron, and that was a small hut on the East Cadron, at
Frederick's Lick, where lived 4 brothers by the name of Wyler
These men were little better than savages, followed hunting for a
living, had no farms and never had - net even as much as a garden.
They were Isaiah, William, Abraham & Obadiah, and they had fled
from the battle of Bunker Hill.

Jonathan Hardin first settled on the “Haunted Ditch”, and moved on
top of the hill about 1837 . He had a large two story house, made
out of large hewn oak logs. It had a large fire place at each end,
and was known as the Hardin House. It was an inn and a tavern,
and stood at the cross roads of the Lewisburg-Searcy, Des Arc-
Springfield and Little Rock-Clinton roads. His first wife died about
1846, and he then married the Greathouse Widow. His family in
1850 was: Jonathan Hardin born ca 1800 in Kentucky, and his wife
Elizabeth born ca 1810. his children at that time were: Sarah 17
and Mary 15 (they were both Greathouse children), Elizabeth 12,
Louisa 10, Ambrose 7, and Missouri-Arkansas 4.

Living nearby was his son William and his wife, Rebecca. Born to
them were: Martha A, Jonathan E. (known as Uncle Crockett),
Benjamin B., and George W. Hardin. William and Ambrose
Hardin were both killed the Civil War. Williams’ widow, Rebecca,
later married a man named Pearl, and they had a son that was one
of the first mayors of Conway.

George W. Hardin was the father of Flora, May Florence, and
Georgia. He was the great grandfather of Hardin Stark of Conway.

Jonathan Hardin had a son by the Greathouse widow. He was John
Francis Hardin. He married Amanda Matthews, a daughter of
Thomas Matthews. They had children: Clara (who married a
Henderson and she was the mother of Kip & Doll), Amanda
married Tom Shaw, and Fannie married John Powers. John Francis
Hardin died suddenly from a wasp sting. His widow married
Ambrose Ingram, and Hinkle Ingram, who died at Holland about 25
years age, was their son. so were Joe, Lumas, and Carl.

Jonathan Hardin was a wealthy and influential man. He owned
about 3000 acres of the best land in the country. He assess as many
as 7 slaves and probably had about 15 most of the time. He lived to
see all his sons meet tragic deaths, and all his slaves freed. he died
soon afterwards.

The Gibson, Granville, Tillman, and Elijah Hogue families were
living on the Strickland place in 1840. They lived near where
Hogue’s store stood, when I was a boy.

In 1841 Wm. Caney Brady, and his sister-in-law, Jane Brady, and
their families, were living on the Dennis Curies place, about 2 miles
east of Enola. About 1848, he sold this place to John. F. Curtis.
He then moved to a place ½ mile north west of Garland Springs.
Caney Brady was born in Tennessee ca 1810. His wife was a
Caudle and she was a sister of the wife of John F. Curtis. Caney
Brady was married in Haywood County Tennessee. His daughter,
Easter, who later became Mrs. Pony Heffington, said that she was
raised in the same county, in north Tennessee, as was my
grandfather, G. W. Dalton. She knew the Dalton family before the
Brady family came to Arkansas. I have been unable to trace this all
down, but do not doubt it.

Caney Creek was named for Caney Brady. His daughter, Easter
married Wm. D. “Pony Bill” Heffington ca 1854. Many of their
descendants are still around Enola. Another daughter married G.
C. Brown, and Coleman Brown of Conway, is a great grandson of
Caney Brady. Another daughter, Adeline, married Hiram Sanders
ca 1866, and Grace Winters of Conway is a great granddaughter of
Caney Brady. Another daughter, (Nancy) married a (John)
Matthews in White county. James Brady, a son, never returned
from the Civil War. Anthony Brady at Enola was Caney’s youngest
child, and Lucy Duckett at Enola is a granddaughter of Caney
Brady and all the Duckett and Brady children of Enola are great
grandchildren of Caney Brady. Caney Brady died in 1859. His
widow married Miles D. Ballard. Moriah lived only a short time
after this marriage. Wesley Brady, son of Jane Brady, was the
father of Uncle Pink Brady of Sharon.

Henry and Thomas and Stephen Heffington and their families were
in Benton Township by 1842. They were from Kentucky and I
found many Heffingtons living in Simpson County Kentucky in
1850. This is the County that Grandpa G. W. Dalton was from.
Thomas was the father-in-law of Hiram Sanders. Another daughter
(Martha) married Sampson Adkisson, and other married a (Walker)
Matthews is White county. He, (Thomas), had a large bunch of
boys, Wm. Stephen, Elihu, Barney, and Leroy being some of them..
His descendants around Enola, Mt. Vernon, and Conway are too
numerous to mention. The Duckett and Brady children of Enola
are also great, great grandchildren of Thomas Heffington.

Probably the next to settle around Enola was Dr. Anthony Hinkle in
1842. He was born in 1822, finished medical school at Louisville,
Kentucky, and settled about 2 miles south east of Enola, on what I
call the John Marvin place. Caney Brady lived on the farm just
north of him, and Anthony Brady was delivered by and named for,
Dr. Anthony Hinkle. He is the first qualified doctor that I know
about in this part of the country. About 1860, he sold out to Sam
Casey’s father, and then he settled on Black Fork Creek, just east
of Greenbrier. His son, Dr. Bill Hinkle, later lived there. Dr. Bill
was a county clerk of Conway county for many years. He was a
Captain in the Union Army in the Civil War. His sons, Ezra and
Virgil, worked in the Conway post office for may years. One of his
grandsons is a doctor at Quitman and his son is a student at the
University of Arkansas Medical School One of Dr. Anthony
Hinkle’s daughters, Clara, married Thomas Matthews, and Dale
Ingram’s wife is one of her great granddaughters.

The Henry family settled on Caney Creek about one and one half
miles southwest of Mr. Vernon in 1842. Francis Patrick Henry was
born in South Carolina in 1800 and came from Alabama to
Batesville about 1831. He came from there to Mr. Vernon. He was
the grandfather of my grandmother, Saphira Adeline Henry Dalton.
She was born at Batesville in 1847. His mother, Mary Henry, was
born in Maryland in 1780, and came here from Alabama in 1850.
She was born three years before the end of the Revolutionary War.
I haven’t had time to trace her husband, but I think he may have
been related to the old “Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death”
Patrick Henry of Virginia. All the Henry's around Mt. Vernon are
descended from this family. John, William, James and their sister,
Jane, are the one’s I know about. William Henry was the father of
my grandmother. Gist Henry of Conway owns one of the original
Henry places, and it has never been owned by anyone except a
Henry.

In 1842, the Adkisson families were living in Benton township, on
the Cadron, north of Mt. Vernon, near the “Tanyard Hill”.
Sampson ‘Adkisson was from Tennnessee and Martha (his mother)
Adkisson was a widow 53 years old, and with 3 children. She was
from Virginia. Anderson Adkisson was 20 and a blacksmith.
Tennessee Sampson’s wife was a daughter of Thomas Heffington.
One of his daughters married Spence Bell. Anderson’s wife was a
Malcom, an aunt of aunt Nan Heffington.

1842 saw the B. C. Reece and William & Richard Middleton
families in Muddy Bayou township. They lived from the Tommy
Stone place north to the Boss Jones place.

Isaac Reynolds, the grandfather of Dr. John Hugh Reynolds's and
his sons J. H. and Jess, and the rest of the Reynolds family came
here in 1844. Isaac was 42 and from Georgia and his wife
Elizabeth Garrett was 37 and from Kentucky. Their children were
born in Tennessee, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Arkansas. They
moved around quire a bit. Two or three of their children were
already married and 8 still lived with them in 1850. The came here
from Grand Glaise. Isaac settled on the Roy Luke place and J. H.
settled on with I know as the Madison Matthes place. J. H.’s first
wife was Sarah Shock, a sister of George Shock. She died Nov.
@1., 1855, and is the first one buried in the Heffington graveyard.
She was the mother of Jess Reynolds, and Jess Reynolds was the
grandfather of Cleddi Harper. After she died, J. H. married a
martin and they had a son, J. H. Reynolds, Jr. After she died, he
married my great grandmother Dalton, and the had a son Isaac and
a daughter Polly. She was Lee Shock’s grandmother.

In 1844, the Elisha Garretts settled on the Shumake place, about a
mile north of the mouth of Turkey Creek. The Reynolds and
Garrett’s and Pony Heffington families were all cousins. My wife’s
great grandmother was Sarah Garrett.

James Starr from Tennessee settled about a mile north of
Centerville in 1845. His father G. W. Starr, and settled at Starr
Gap in 1843. James Starr was the father of Jack Starr, and Jack
Starr married my great aunt, Elizabeth Ingram ca 1861. She was
the mother of “Bible Back” Jim Starr, and died at his birth.

Uncle Johnnie Curtis, as a baby, and his mother, rode a mule from
Tennessee to Arkansas, while his father walked, and they settled on
the Dennis Curtis place, about two miles east of Enola, about 1848.
He was 332 and she was 25.

In 1847, Johnny Cummings, 37, and his wife, Catherine 31, were
living in Benton township. He was from Tennessee and she was
from Kentucky. He later moved to Enola, and his old house still
stands on the east side of the road, about 200 yards north of town.

Joe, Fredrick, Elisha and Roberson Brown, from (Simpson Co.)
Kentucky settled from Turkey Creek to the White Oak Bridge.
Frederick Settled on the Jake Whitely place in 1848, Joe settled just
south of the Tom Melton place in 1849m Elisha settled on the Tom
Harrison place just north of Barney in 1853 and John Roberson
Brown settled across the road west of him, at the same time. Their
father, Robert Fredrick Brown, is shown in the 1840 Sumner
County Tennessee census. My great grandmother Dalton was their
sister. John Roberson Brown was the father of George Roberson
Brown, and he was the grandfather of Arcie Graddy. He was know
as “Blue George” Brown.

John Bell from Virginia, Uncle Cam Bell's brother and 10 years
older than Uncle Cam, settled two miles east of Cross Roads in
1848. His wife was the first one buried in the Old Siloam
graveyard.

Dr. J. E. Cobb’s wife, Uncle Cam Bell’s daughter, showed me the
old Bell Family Bible in 1971. Her Grandmother, Mary Bell, was
born in 1797, and Mrs. Cobb’s grandfather Bell could easily have
voted for George Washington for President. Fact of the matter is,
he may have been personally acquainted with George Washington,
for they both lived at Fredricksburg Virginia, at the same time.

Uncle Cam Bell lived on his brother’s place, after his brother died.
I knew uncle Cam in his old age. His house was the largest I had
ever seen up to that time-and so was his family. His first wife was
Marinda Farmer, and he fathered 6 children by her. His next wife
was Isabelle Barnes, and he fathers 12 more by her. This does not
include those dying in infancy. he was 63 years old when his baby
daughter was born. His old family Bible showed that uncle Cam
wrote a very nice hand. I was amused by the fact that on the page
where he recorded the births and deaths of his children, that several
were on the margin. There was not enough room on the page.

About 1850, J. P. Harrison settled at Garland Springs. he had a
large family and Tom Harrison, at Barney, was his baby child. His
wife was a Norman from around Rosebud. He was a self educated,
country doctor. Jesse T. Harrison, Columbus, and Gusty are his
grandsons.

In 1850 Bailey Woods 22 and his wife Sabra 24, both from
Alabama, were living in Benton township. She was a Plant and
several Plant, Livinston, Presley, Spradling, Sublett, and Joslin
families were living in Benton township at that time. Bailey Woods
was the forefather of the Woods families at Enola and Mt. Vernon.
Captain Ledbetter of Conway is one of his great grandsons. Bailey
Woods fought in the Mexican War and (too faint to read). Captain
Ledbetter told me that one time he was talking to his great
grandfather about the war, and he asked him just what kind of
soldier he was, and just what he did in the war. The old man
replied with quite a bit of vim and vigor, that he was a “Damn
Good Soldier”, and that he followed General Winfield Scott all
over Mexico, and that he helped carry the ladders they used when
they scaled the walls of Mexico City.

In 1851, Willis Dalton, my great grandfather, and his wife, Mary
Brown Dalton, and sons Elisha, Spears, and G. W. Dalton, settled
about a mile north of Cross Roads Church. They settled just west
of where J. H. Reynolds had settled in 1844. I have in my
possession a pair of pants and a vest, that Mary Brown, as a sweet
heart, gave Willis Dalton in 1847, and he wore them to Arkansas in
1851. She picked the cotton, pulled the lint of the seed, made the
thread, dyed it, spun the cloth, and made the clothes. I don’t think
there is a machine stitch in either garment. These are not “Hot
Pants” and the styles are quire different from those worn today. I
doubt if the present day brides would attempt any such a deal They
would probably fix him a salad or a bowl of slaw.

My great grandfather, Alexander Gordon Ingram, 36 and his wife
Mary Dewitt Walker Ingram 32, settled at Ingram Springs about a
mile north of the Hardin Bridge on the Cadron, in 1851. He was
from Tennessee and she was from Kentucky. They came here from
Goreville, Illinois. They had 6 children when they came and they
had 8 more after they got here.

In 1851, George Shock 22 from Kentucky, and his wife Amanda
Elvira Stobaugh, settled about a half mile south of Cross Roads
Church. She was from Tennessee and died about 1865. He then
married Nancy Cardin, the daughter of Reuben Cardin. All the
Shocks around Enola are his descendants.

In 1853, Anthony Smith Matthews 43, and his wife Penelope
(?Dilday) and children Joseph 20, Thomas 19, Jane 12, and Jesse
Robert Walker 7, settled one and one half miles north west of
Enola, about 300 yards southwest of the Gist Hoggard place.
Other Matthews relatives say that he also had sons Henry and
Warren. He was Dib Jr.'s great, great, great grandpa. They came
here from 2 miles north east of Cabot, Arkansas. He owned 640
acres of land there. Before that, they lived in Gates County, North
Carolina. His father was Anthony Matthews, Jr. and his father was
Anthony Matthews, Sr. Jr. Was born about 1770 and Sr. was born
about 1745 or 50. Both were born in Gates county North Carolina.

Tom Matthews and Jesse R.W. both stated that Henry and Warren
were killed in the Civil War. Tax records show Warren Matthews
paying taxes on the Bill Faris place, about a mile north of the Red
River Ford on the Cadron, in 1861. His wife Elizabeth (Garrett?)
lived there in 1862. I am unable to say who she was. G. H.
Matthews, probably his brother, paid a poll tax in 1862.

Clemons Outler (Outlaw?) Hoggard 47, and his wife Martha Ann
(Dilday?) 39, and children Thomas 19, Sara Eliza 16, Malinda Ann
14, Martha Jane 12, Jesse 10, Robert 8, Susan Margaret 6, and
Wm. Clemons 2, settled on the Amon Woods place in 1858. They
were from Bertie County North Carolina and had lived 2 miles
Northwest of Cabot, Arkansas for 4 years before coming to Enola.
Nancy Lou was born at Enola in 1862, Robert was born in
Tennessee, and the rest of the children were born in North Carolina.

Clemons Hoggard’s father was Elisha Hoggard, and he fought in
the War of 1812. His father was John Hoggard and he fought in
the Revolutionary War. I read his war record and his pension
application. He fought for 9 months and walked all the way from
North Carolina to West Point, New York. His application for
pension was made by friends, when he was an old man. He had lost
his discharge and could not read and write. Two old soldiers stated
that they had served the entire 9 months with him, and he got his
pension.

W. J. Hoggard, probably a brother of Clemons Hoggard, came here
in 1855 and settled about one half a mile south of where George
Smith now lives. He died before 1860 and the 1860 census shows
his 3 children living with Clemons Hoggard.

Penelope Matthew died in 1859 and Anthony Smith Matthews died
in 1866, and Clemons Outler Hoggard, and his wife Martha Ann,
were both dead when the 1870 census was taken. Clemons
Hoggard and Anthony Matthew were cousins and had married the
Dilday sisters before they left North Carolina. They are all buried in
unknown, unmarked graves in Old Siloam Graveyard.

Sam Smith 52, and his wife, Mary 49, both from Virginia, settled a
quarter of a mile north of the Enola Church of Christ, about 1858,
and they lived there until 1867. They then moved one and one half
miles north west of Enola, and Dave Smith lived there until he died.
Sam Smith had already settled twice near Dallas, and once in
Missouri, before coming to Enola.

In 1855 Wm. D. “Pony” Heffington 26, from Alabama, and his wife
Easter Brady 19, settled about a half a mile east of the Heffington
Graveyard. That's his it got its’ name. I think his father was
Barney Heffington of Lauderdale County Alabama. This Barney
was a brother of Thomas, who had left Alabama about 1830 and
came to Batesville and was living in Benton Township in 1842, near
Batesville, and was living in Benton township in 1842. Barney and
Thomas were both married the same day- December 1, 1825, in
Lauderdale County, Alabama. Thomas married Susannah Smith
and Barney married Nancy Martha Garrett. Stephen and Henry,
other brothers of Thomas and Barney, also lived in Benton
Township in 1842. They later moved to near Rosebud and one of
them married a Plant. I think their father was David Heffington and
he was living with Thomas at Batesville in 1831. I thin this David's
father was another David Heffington, living in Virginia about 1790.
There were no Heffingtons in Alabama in 1840 and where Pony
Heffington lived from his birth to 1853, I am still trying to find out.
many of his descendants are still at Enola.

T. P. “Spanker” McClone 23, from Kentucky, came to Enola in
1853 and worked for Willis Dalton, as a single man. He married
Minerva Woodworth 21, from Vermont, by way of New York and
Ohio, in 1857. He was an early Master of the Masonic Lodge at
Old Siloam and was later post master at Caney Creek.

Jonnie Bryant 45, and his wife Hannah (Mitchell) 46, both from
South Carolina, and his son Absolum 18, and Terrell R. Bryant 20
and his wife Clausa 19, both from Tennessee, came to Enola in
1855. Jonnie Bryant settled about a mile north of the Marcus Hill
Church.

I have heard a story about Absolum Bryant not wanting to come to
Arkansas, and almost every nite he would run off and try to go
back to Mississippi. This finally got old, and one nite before h
made his trip, Terrell Bryant wrapped a white sheet around himself
and disappeared. A little later, as Absolum was making his return
threat, Terrell Bryant stepped out from behind a tree and greeted
him. Absolum immediately reversed his direction, and after that he
lead the way into Arkansas.

In 1858 Terrell Bryant bought 65 acres, lying south of the Searcy-
Springfield road and one half mile east of Marcus Hill Church, for
$100. He bought this place from his uncle Jonnie and I’m looking
at the original deed as I write this. It was witnessed by Absolum
and Hannah Bryant and I saw from this deed that they could both
read and write.

Terrell Bryant’s son, Marcus, was the first one buried in the Marcus
Hill Graveyard, and that how the church and graveyard got their
names. I have heard that his first wife, Clausa, is buried in the
Hardin family graveyard. there are doubtless others there, but she
is the only one that I know about. His second wife was a Lavinder,
Jane Matthews was his third and Matt Spencer was his fourth. All
these are buried at Marcus Hill.

I examined a lot of his old papers in 1971. Among them is his
certificate of appointment as justice of the peace for Hardin
township in 1866. It’s signed by Powell Clayton and has the oath
of allegiance written in with red ink. I found his certificate of
appointment as postmaster at Enola in 1886. I found his certificate
to practice medicine, and that's why he moved to Enola. I found a
deed for the land just south of the Marcus Hill Church in which my
great grandfather, A. G. Ingram, sold to my wife’s great
grandfather, Terrell R. Bryant. This deed id dated 1874 and made
by Steven E. Lamar. I saw from this deed that both my great
grandparents on the Ingram side could read and write. many of hi
early deed are signed by his or her mark. He was quite a
community leader. He was their doctor for many years, a druggist
and merchant, a postmaster on two occasions, and a justice of the
peace for many years. He is probably the causa of my father being
a doctor and L. T. and Steve Lasley being merchants.

Reuben Sanders 37, and his wife Susan 21, and children Hiram 12,
John 11, and Mary 5, settled just east of Mt. Vernon in 1857.
Rebuen Sanders was born in South Carolina in 1819, and his father
was Jonathan Sanders. Reuben Sanders came to Mr. Vernon from
Morgan County Alabama. He married Lucinda Matherson
September 10, 1839 and Margaret Pullen October 20, 1843. She
was probably the mother of the above children. Hiram Sanders
married Adeline Brady in 1866 and She died before 1870. he then
married Sarah Ann Heffington, a daughter of Thomas. John
Sanders married Mary E. Harrison December 24, 1873. She was a
daughter of Dr. R.T. Harrison of Mt. Vernon. He moved to
Conway and was an early city official and druggist there. John
Sanders later married Lucinda Bryant, and she was the mother of
his children.

In 1858 Steven E. Lamar 23 from Alabama, and his wife Florina
Bryant (sister of Terrell) 27 from South Carolina, came to Enola
from Mississippi and settled three fourths of a mile north east of
Enola, on the Bud Bryant place. Joseph Milam from Alabama came
here with the Lamars and married Steve Lamar’s sister. Joseph
Milam was papas first patient when he began the practice of
medicine in 1906. Steve Lamar was the first postmaster at Enola in
1879. Steve Lasley, Steve Ellis, Ellis Lasley and Ellis Hailey are all
named for Uncle Steve Lamar.

1860 saw the settling of the Cobb, P.P. and W. P. Henderson
families. Bud Cobb, from Mississippi, and his wife Martha Jane
Hoggard, settled about 2 miles west of Enola. The Henderson’s
had settled between Black Fork Creek and the Cadron.. One of
these was P. P. Henderson, and he was born in South Carolina in
1785-four years before George Washington became President.

The Heffington families around Enola and Mt. Vernon are almost
impossible to trace. There were more than a dozen Heffington
families around Enola and Mt. Vernon from 1840 to 1855. Two
had been there when Arkansas was made a territory in 1819. They
all had large families and 5 or 6 in each family had the same names.
They all had a Barn(y), a Tom, a Susan, a Henry, and a Mary.
Some came from Kentucky, some came from Alabama, and some
just came. They were all cousins of one kind or another.

About 1861 S. S. Waddle and his wife Sarah, both from Tennessee,
settled near Ingram Springs. She was an (Esther) Ormand and a
sister of the wife of Carter Ingram. They had Children Josephine 5
and Polk 2 at that time. Their mother was a Bowie (??Whose
Mother).

My great grandfather, Thomas M. Alexander, was from the same
place as the Gist and Jones families, and they had been owners and
workers in an iron smelter, at Iron City Tennessee as early as 1855.
Before he came to Arkansas in 1858, he had married Rebecca Berry
in Wayne Co., Tennessee. Papas mother was born there in 1851.
he came to Arkansas and settled in Searcy County in 1858. he was
a volunteer in both The Mexican and Civil Wars. His wife,
Rebecca, died at Little Rock, while he was serving with General
Steele’s army, and is buried somewhere near where the Vestal
Green house now stands.

On his way back to Searcy county after the war, he stayed all nite
with my great grandfather, A. G. Ingram. He had several grown
girls and grandfather Alexander just up and married one of them.
They settled about a mile north west of the mouth of Black Fork
Creek. He was already papas grandfather and this made him his
uncle too. His wife was already papas aunt and this made her his
grandmother too. later, her brother married her step daughter and
they were my grandparents. Such complications as this make
family history very hard to straighten out 115 years later.

In 1864 Daniel Smith 38, and his wife Usley 36, settled about a mile
west of the Matthews hill. They were from Fredricksburg, Virginia.
Aunt Usley was an Underwood.

Roswell Woodworth 56 and his wife Anda 55, both from Vermont,
and a large family of children settled on the Garland Bradke place in
1866. They were in Union township in 1847. Uncle Alvin
Woodworth was his youngest child.

Henry Woodward 30 from Missouri, and his wife Mary 32 from
Virginia, settled one half mile east of Marcus Hill in 1866. They
had been here in 1862 by went back to Missouri.

She was a sister of Dave and Daniel Smith. They had a son Samuel
8, Rebecca 3, and (Uncle) Henry was born that year in Missouri.

In 1867 Benedict White 46 and from Alabama, and his wife
Margaret 37 from Indiana, settled about one half mile north west of
the Tanyard Bridge on the Cadron. They came here from Illinois (
Indiana), and they had 6 children when they came.

In 1867 John Austin 58 from Tennessee, and his wife Julia 32 from
Kentucky, and three children, settled in Enola. That same year,
Hiram Allen 19 from Georgia, and his wife Sarah Jane Ingram 18,
settled near Ingram Springs. They are the grandparents of Claudia
and Iva Kurkendall, Ida Wofford, Olive Turner, and Check King.

In 1868 John Polk came here from Georgia, Reuben Norwood
came from Alabama, the Rolands came from Mississippi, James
Palmer came from Mississippi and George Blair came from
Alabama.

The Reedys came from Virginia in 1870. Mr. (George) Reedy was
a Methodist minister from Richmond, Virginia. He had been quite
wealthy before the Civil War. He is buried in a rock grave on the
north side of the road, about a mile east of Marcus Hill. He
married Aunt Jane Henry and Tom Reedy is their grandson.

The Liles and Gist families came from Iron City, Tennessee, in
1870. The Gist family first settled at El Paso.

The Bowies came from Mississippi in 1870. Old Grandpa Bowie,
Caps father, came from Maryland and the Bowie race track is on
land formerly owned by the family. Old Grandpa Bowie married a
Rosamond, and Carr Rosamond of Conway is a cousin of Cap
Bowie.

According to papa, the Bowies could do almost anything to and
with tools. It all came natural with them. He said that Cap Bowie
kept the sharpest tools and plows that he ever saw, and the he was
an expert farmer-tho not on a large scale. He said that when he
was a young boy, the walls on one of Cap Bowie’s wells began to
cave in. One of his Rosamond uncles was living with him at that
time, and he was an expert rock mason. Cap found out about it.
He dug this well to solid rock and his uncle went to the Phillips
mountain and cut out limestone rocks to fit this well. He place
about an 18 inch hole in the center of these rocks, and he then
placed them, layer by layer, in the well. When he had finished, Cap
Bowie put a catfish in the well to eat the wiggle tails etc. It stayed
in this well for many years, and because of its restricted diet, it
grew very slowly.

Cap Bowie was rather eccentric, thrifty and tight. He ground his
own meal, had lots of bees, and hogs galore. Papa said that he
never ate there when they didn't have meat, and I mean by that, that
they ate it three times a day the year round. He was an expert with
a rifle and delighted in killing rattlesnakes. When he killed one he
would skin it, stuff its hide with corn meal, and hang it on his
mantle. Papa said that he had seen as many as 7 hanging there at
one time, ant that he believed some were still hanging there when
Cap Bowie died. After what the snake did to Adam, I don’t believe
I would have felt at ease with them hanging on mantle.

Cap Bowie never gathered corn until after frost and his corn never
had weevils He sold lots of stuff and bought scarcely anything. I
can remember when I was a small boy, that Frank Farris at the
Farmers State Bank, told Cap that if he would deposit $10,000 in
the bank that he would pay for him a shave and a haircut, & but him
a hat. Cap reached in his picket, brought forth the $10,000,
deposited it, and collected the hat and the shave and haircut.

About 1900 Cap decided that he had oil under his land and he got
Almond Surratt to drill for oil At about 300 feet, he had failed to
hit any oil, and the expense was beginning to bother Cap, and he
ordered the drilling stopped. As far as I know this is the first
attempt to drill for oil in Faulkner County. It is still one of the
deepest and best wells in the county.

Francis Marion Lasley 18, from Soddy, Tennessee, and his wife
Frances Marsena Bryant 16, settled about a half a mile east of
Marcus Hill in 1874. They were married at Dr. Terrell Bryant’s
house on May 21, 1874 by Uncle Steve Lamar. She is buried near
Sheridan.. He is buried at Marcus Hill. They were my wife’s
grandparents. Both her grandfathers died the same day.

In 1880 Alfred Gadberry was living at Garland Springs. I think he
was the father of Frank Gadberry.

Bud Welch, from Tennessee, settled a quarter of a mile west of
Marcus Hill in 1870. The Anderson Jones family settled one half a
mile east of the Bowie place in 1879. All the Jones children, except
Paige, were born in Tennessee.

The Bailey’s came to Enola from Tennessee by way of Pearson
about 1880. Robert Anthony came from Alabama in 1879 and
settled near Barney. He married Mattie Polk the next year. He was
24 and she was 15. Colonel Harper came to Enola from Sulfur
Rock in 1881. The Crossnoes were around Cedar Glade, on the
Allen Crossnoe place, before the Civil War. John Crossnoe tried to
be one of grandma Dalton’s early sweet patooties. The Keathleys,
Newells, Moss and Malcom families lived across the Bayou, east of
Mt. Vernon, in the 1860s.

You are acquainted with most of the families since then. many of
these people are my relatives and their neighbors. Mostly, they
were just common, ordinary, down to earth type of people, and I’m
glad to claim them as kin folk, ancestors, and friends. They were
indeed hardy stock. I found one lady, Mary Henry, living in this
territory, that was born in 1780. She was grand Dalton’s great
grandmother. She was born 3 years before the end of the
Revolutionary War, while we still belonged to England.

Other “Early Birds” living around Enola were: P. P. Henderson,
born 1785; Bathamere Maberry 1788; Lucy Hogue 1790; Roswell
Woodworth 1793; Martha Adkisson 1795; and Mary Bell 1797.

The first child that I know of, that was born near Enola, was
Elizabeth Hardin in 1837. She was the mother of Pig Venable, and
some of you may remember him. In this period-1830 to 1880-in all
the census records that I have examined, I found only one old maid-
and she was only 36. I don’t know if the women were prettier,
scarcer, less choosy, or more in demand. It could have been all
these.

Steven E. Lamar and Sam Smith both settled at Enola in 1858 and I
guess I’ll have to call each of them the first settler of Enola. They
settled different places later.

Old Siloam was one of the early churches around Enola. it was on
5 acres of land donated by John F. Curtis about 1848-50. It was a
Baptist church and about 1880 it was moved to the Matthews Hill
for a short time. It was then moved to Enola. The old Siloam
Church sent messengers to the state association in 1848, as did Mt.
Vernon and Greenbrier. I think Old Siloam was the oldest. Mrs.
Georgia Harper Graham, 97 years old, told me in 1971 that she
united with the church at Enola in 1889. She said that she was at
Marcus Hill the day that church was organized. So was papa, but
he was young. Uncle Alex (Alex died in 1885) and Grandma Sarah
Ingram were Charter members of the Marcus Hill Church. Mrs.
Lurinda (Sanders) Hoggard, 93 years old, said that she had been a
member of the Marcus Hill church since 1896.

Some of the early pastors of these churches were: George
Washington Ford, the grandfather of State Education
Commissioner, Arch Ford; Oliver Cantrell, Pres. Glover; Henry
Glover; Hiram Sanders; Jim Reynolds; George Washington Dalton;
W. M. Mills; and a Mr. York. Mr. York was one of the earlier
ones. He was quite active around Cross Roads, Enola, and Marcus
Hill. His converts numbered quite a few-my grandmothers being
among them. Several years later a Unites States Marshall showed
up, looking for Brother York. He was told that he was holding a
meeting at Shiloh. the Marshall said that he was no preacher, but a
counterfeiter and an escaped convict. Some good brother quickly
notified brother York and the meeting at Shiloh adjourned suddenly
without the benefit of a benediction, and the Marshall failed to get
brother York. Several of his converts were baptized again, but
Grandma Dalton said that he wasn’t what had converted her in the
first place and she would have no part of this second baptism. He
had married many couples at Enola, and some had as many as 5
children in that time. That may be what caused so many red faced
people around Enola.

Preaching styles have changed greatly since those days. Papa was
only 4 when his father died. When he was bout 12 years old, he
and his brothers and sister got to discussing his father's funeral, and
some said they could hardly remember it. Thereupon Grandma
Sarah Ingram got old Grandpa Wm. Mills to preach his funeral
again the next Sunday at Cadron Valley. I’m sure they all
remembered it that time.

The first school at Old Siloam was about 1850. I don’t know any
early teachers there, but that is where Grandma Adeline Henry
Dalton went to school in 1853.

Grandpa and Grandma Ingram went to school at Cadron Valley.
Grandpa stared there about 1855 and Grandma about 1865, when
she moved there. It was about a mile west of the Hardin Bridge,
and Mr. Tom Alexander got killed as he was tearing down the old
church. Papa taught school there in 1903 and boarded with
Almond Surratt.

Grandpa G.W. Dalton stayed with Jonathan Hardin and went to his
private school a short time - about 1860. Most of his schooling,
less than 6 months altogether, was at Old Mt. Pisgah a bout three
quarters of a mile south east of Barney. I know no early teachers
there, but Robert Anthony was the last one to teach there in 1880.
One of the pupils to whom he applied the hickory switch, he
married the next year, and they became the parents of 12 early
citizens of Enola.

Papa told me that the first church and school, near Marcus Hill,
was one half mile south of Dr. Terrell Bryant’s house on the west
side of the road just north of where Barn Sanders lived when I was
a child. It was next at the southwest corner of Grandma Ingram’s
field. I was burned in 1886 by one of the patrons, who didn’t like
the teacher or the preacher and I’ve heard that his name was the
same as the town in which I now reside (Conway?). In 1887 it was
rebuilt about 200 yards west of its former location, on land donated
by Uncle Jess Hoggard. Papa went to his first school there in 1887,
and his teacher was Fred Brown. He was later a Dr. at Enola and
Conway. His next teacher was John Jones, the Dr. W. I. Clark,
then Charley Jones, Matt’s father, then Dr. Clark again, then Newt
Jones and the Dr. Clark for several more terms. Dr. Clark married
a Jones. Some time around 1906 this school was moved one half
mile east, and it was then called Union Valley. I went to my first
school there in 1912 and Carrie Utley was my teacher. Bird Brady
was my main chum.

Cross Roads school and church were probably started about 1870.
Some of the early teachers there were Belton Setzler, Jim and Ed
Plant, Nan Heffington, Robert Anthony, a Mr. Thompson from
Centerville, Ed Condray, and J, R, Giddens. Papa went to school
there to Robert Anthony in the summer 1901.

The first school at Enola, that I know anything about, was in 1881-
the year that papa was born. It was one half mile west of Enola,
and Belton Setzler was the teacher. Mrs. Georgia Harper Graham
told me that she attended this school. It was next about 300 yards
west of the Enola church of Christ, and then just south of the
Baptist church. I attended there from 1916 to 1920. It burned in
the early twenties and was rebuilt where it now stands.

some early teachers at Enola from about 1880 to 1890 were:
Professor Randall and his wife, Isaac Campbell, Katie Williams, Ed
Carmichael, Lizzie Connor, Katie Phillips, J. R. Giddens and Hugh
Flippens.

In looking over Dr. Bryant’s early deeds, I find that several people
in these communities could not read and write, especially the
women-but they reared sons and daughters that were noted
educators - some even being college presidents. I give a lot of
credit for Education at Enola, and around it to Mr. W. I. Clark and
his daughters, To the Jones Boys, to Uncle Robert Anthony, and to
Aunt Nan Heffington. Some of them may have chewed tobacco in
time of school, and none of them spared the rod when the occasion
demanded it, but they all had good broad based education and the
necessary horse sense to teach. Not all their pupils were geniuses
either.

Some of the early doctors around Enola were: Dr. Anthony Hinkle,
Dr. Harrison, and Powers at Mr. Vernon, Dr. Terrell Bryant at
Marcus Hill and Enola, and soon to follow were Dr. Jess Reynolds,
who lived on the Tom Grimes place, Dr. Owns lived just south of
Uncle Dave Smith, Dr. Bennett lived 100 yards east of town, Dr.
Pascal lived where the school house now stands, and Dr. Fred
Brown lived on the Steve Lasley place.

Some of these doctors were educated in medicine and some just
decided to be a doctor and paid their license fees. That's all you
had to do in those days. I found one of Dr. Terrell Bryant’s
prescriptions for liniment in L. T. Lasley’s old trunk in 1971. He
was L. T.’s grandfather. Here it is: ¼ quart of apple vinegar, 1 oz
oil of cedar, 1 oz oil of wintergreen, 1 oz oil of spook, 1 oz spirits
of camphor, 1 oz turpentine, and 1 oz oil of pole cat. It was like
Brylcream-a little dab would do you.

Some of the folks who lived around Enola in the 1880’s were:
Steve Lamar, Johnny Cummings, Jim Reynolds, Jess Reynolds, Jim
Reynolds, Jr., Dr. Jess Reynolds, Jimmie Cunningham, Bell Martin,
Jeff Middleton, the Mungers, Colonel Harper, Sam Morris, Sam
Joslin, the Samon’s, the Shocks, the Matthews, Belton Setzler,
David and Jonathan Hailey, John Austin, Joseph and George
Dalton, Usley Smith, A. A. Wilson, Dr. Terrell Bryant, Willis
Gunter, Jap and Jack Starr, Man Smith, Anthony Brady, Tom
Grimes, Spanker McGlone and the Bailey’s. Lots of these I never
heard of and many I have left out.

Early merchants at Enola were: Jimmy Cunningham, a Mr. Haines
who ran the Grange Store, Dr. Terrell Bryant and Quenton Bryant
ran a drug store, and Jimmy Reynolds, Jr. ran a general store. The
Grange Store seems to have been the uniting force and the main
thing that made it a town. Mrs. Georgia Harper Graham said that it
was already a small village when she moved her in 1881. Frank
Bailey’s father was running a gin at Enola at that time. It was later
run by Belton Setzler and then by Sam Joslin. George Shock ran a
gin about two miles east of Cross Roads about this same time.

About Uncle Johnny Cummings: he live about 200 yards north of
town, on the east side of the road, and his old house still stands.
It’s one of the oldest, if not the oldest , anywhere around Enola.
Papa said that he was the first person he ever saw that was almost
100 years old, and that his skin was almost as thick as leather, and
that he was a strong old man. Not many lived to be more than 60
years old in those days.

Some of the old soldiers that I knew or have heard about around
Enola are: Tom, Joseph, Jesse, Henry, and Warren Matthews;
Fenton, Ky, and Jim Hake Henry; George Dalton; Hiram Sanders;
All Woodworth, Spanker McGlone, Jonnie Nunnery Curtis; Jess
Reynolds and his father, Jim Reynolds; Dr.. Jess Reynolds; Hiram
Spence Bell and Dr. Owens. These were Union soldiers and they
held reunions at Enola until about 1903.

Southern soldiers around Enola were: William and Ambrose
Hardin; Bob and Roe Brady at Naylor; Dr. Terrell Bryant; James
and Wes Brady; Lish Bailey’s grandfather; and one or two of the
Mabry’s.

Several fought on both sides. Jesse Matthew was wounded at the
Battle of Shiloh and Henry Matthews, Warren Matthews, Fenton
Henry, and William and Ambrose Hardin were all killed in the war.
James Brady never returned. (??)

All the above Union soldiers served in the 3rd Ark. Calvary. Jim
Reynolds was a Captain and Joseph Matthews and Johnny Curtis
were buglers. Jonnie Curtis was also a prisoner of war. Terrell R.
Bryant was a Lt. in the southern army. Several soldiers from
around Enola deserted (went home) before the end of the war and
several were thus denied a pension.

Enola had one other distinction. It had the number one chapter of
the Eastern Star in Arkansas. It surrendered its charter in 1866-one
year before the Conway chapter was formed-because the brothers
would not attend and they could not hold meetings.

Postmasters at Enola have been: Steven E. Lamar, 1879; John
Allen, 1883 (I know nothing about him or who he was); Jonathan
Hailey, 1883; Dr. Terrell Bryant, 1886; J. H. Reynolds, Jr. 1887;
J. H. Cunningham, 1887; Dr. Terrell Bryant, 1889; Wm. P. Bryant,
1889; J. H. Cummingham, 1895; Belton Setzler, 1897; J. Walter
Henry, 1910; L. B. Setzler, 1910; J. H. Cunningham, 1914; L. B.
Setzler, 1919 to 1943; and Ruth Setzler Bailey 1943 to 1972.
Some member of the Setzler family has been postmaster at Enola
for more than 70 of the 92 years that I has been a post office.
Evidently their service has been quite satisfactory.

Lots of early settlers around Enola paid no taxes at all for 15 or 20
years. These men paid these amounts in these years and its is all
they did pay. This is from the official Conway county tax records.
In 1840, Granville and Tillman Hogue paid $.50 poll taxes. In 1841
Coney Brady paid $4.20. In 1842 Sampson Adkisson paid $.97,
Francis Patrick Henry paid $.75, and Richard Middleton paid $1.05.
In 1843 David, Henry, and Stephen Heffington, Elijah and Gibson
Hogue, G. W. Starr and W. Terrell each paid $.50 poll taxes. In
1845 Dr. Anthony Hinkle paid $.86, and Thomas Heffington paid
$.90. And that's all they paid for these years.

I have examined a few of them in detail. This is the tax record of
A. G. Ingram, my great grandfather, from 1851 to 1867 both dates
inclusive. In 1851 he paid $.50 poll tax, 1852 $.50 poll tax, 1853-
$4.12, 1855-$1.08, 1857-$2.61, 1859-he assessed 1 horse, 3 cows,
300 acres of land and paid $4.06, 1862 1 pleasure carriage, 1 horse,
4 cows, 300 acres of land and paid $4.71, 1865 15 horses, 60 cows,
320 acres of land and paid $15.53, 1866-$7.48, 1867-$7.80. He
paid nothing at all in 1854, 56, 58, 60, 61, 63, and 64. In this 17
years, he paid less than $50.00 taxes.

Jonathan Hardin was the wealthiest man anywhere near Enola. he
assessed as follows: 1841-3 slaves and 840 acres and he paid $6.00.
1843-6 slaves, 1844-4 slaves, 1846-6 slaves, 1847-7 slaves and
2400 acres, 1849-4 slaves and 2400 acres, 1852-6 slaves and 2950
acres, 1854-7 slaves and 2858 acres and taxes of $58.00, 1860-9
slaves, 2 pleasure carriages, 30 horses, 30 mules, 60 neat cattle,
$400 loaned out on interest, and he paid $85.50, 1862-taxes of $76,
1866-taxes of $90.50. He balked on taxes in 1867 and the Conway
county court set the valuation on his 2800 acres at $1.25 per acre.

The assessment list in Conway County in 1844 was : 501 poll taxes,
117 slaves at $45, 850; 2 saw mils at $3.000; 4 tanyards at $700;
913 horses at $30,255; 21 mules at $730; 6 jackasses at $325; 2627
meat cattle at $18,037; and money loaned out on interest $525.
The first pleasure carriage was assess in Conway county for $50 in
1845, the first distillery for $50 in 1847; the first Gold watches and
jewelry in 1847; and the first house hold goods and furniture in
1851. The valuation on all the furniture in Conway coutny in 1851
was $400.

This was the slave count and their valuation, in round numbers, for
Conway county: 1843- 117 for $40,000; 1845- 115 for $43,000;
1847-146 for $51,000; 1848-139 for $54,000; 1850- 228 for
$71,000; 1851- 183 for $77,000; and in 1854-169 for $93,000. G.
W. Carrol was the largest slave owner I found in Conway county.
In 1861, he woned 100 slaves and ther were assessed for $40,000.

These people, in addition to the ones already identified lived at
threse places in these years: 1848-E. L. Middleton lived on the
Tommy Stone place; 1850-Richard Middleton lived on the Frank
Bailey place; and the Wm. Reynolds lived just north of the Red
River Ford; 1854-Bathamere Maberry lived on the Raymond Casey
place, 1855-Thomas Matthews lived on the Tom Melton place, and
James Casey lived on the Fayette Lawson place. 1856-Stephen
Heffington lived 3 miles east of Beaverfork Lake. 1857, Joseph
matthews lived just south of the Jess Starr place, Caney Brady lived
½ mile north wesr of Garland Springs, Samuel Joslin lived one mile
notrh west of the Lon Shaw place. 1858, Benedict White lived ½
mile north west of the Tanyard bridge, Joseph lavinder lived on the
Cobb place. 1859, Reuben Cardin lived on the Rufe Shock place,
Wm. P. Heffington lived on the Charlie Woodward place, and
Absolum Bryant lived on the south east part of the T. W.
Heffington place. 1860, Old Grandpa Isaac Reynolds lived on the
Roy Luke place. 1861, Barney and Henry Heffington (must be B.
B. {Barney Burriss} born ca 1838-40 and Henry vorn 1853)lived
just west of the Bob Brown place, B. C. Brown lived on the Steve
Lasley place, R. P. Brown, Jr. lived on the Aunt Nan Heffington
place. W. S. Troxell lived on Morter Creek and in 1866, Jesse R.
W. Matthews loved on the Ted Ingram place. he assess this place
and 1 mule and pain $1.05.

Some of the arly settlers owned quite a bit of land before 1860.
Some were Johathan Hardin, 3,000 acres; Anderson Adkisson
1,500 acres; Sampson Adkisson 1,100 acres; John F. Curtis 1,000
acres; E. L. Middleton 1,000 acres plus; Thomas Matthews 300
acres; Clemons Hoggard 300 acres; Joseph Matthews 300 acres;
and John Bell 600 acres.

Jonatha hardin owned form 3 to 15 slaves and Anderson and
Sampson Adkisson each owned one slave in 1854 and Anderson
owned 3 in 1863. These were all the slave owners that lived near
Enola.

In looking over the earl history of Enola, and hearing some of my
own family history, I discovered a marriage pattern. Several of my
folks married into the Matthews frmily. here are some: my great
uncle, Ambrose Ingram married Amanda Matthews Harden, a
daughter of Tom Matthews; Jesse R. W. Matthews married my
grandmother, Sarah Ingram after each of their mates had dies;
Madison matthews, a son of Jesse Mattehws, married my aunt
Easter Dalton, W. T. (Billie) Matthews, a son of Joseph matthews,
married my aunt Mat Dalton; Firvis Dalton, my cousin, married
Grace Matthews, a grandaughter of Jseph Matthews. Oden Bailey,
a great grandson of Joseph matthews married my cousin Feeda
Dalton, Joe Setzler, a grandson of Joseph Matthews married my
cousin Neely Ingram, Lish Bailey, my cousin, married ruth Setzler,
a grandaughter of Joseph matthews, Alec Bailey, my cousin,
married Ina matthews, a granaugher of Joseph matthews; franklin
matthews, a great great grandson of Tom Matthews, married my
cousin pauline Luke; Dale Ingram, my brother married Mildred
Lieblong, a great granddaughter of Joseph Matthews. There may
be othrs, none of us married anybody that is kin to us, but its a lot
of peple for Dib Jr. to be kin to. All these were good marriages-not
a divorce in the bunch. It seems to me that if you are kin to me and
you don’t want to get married-you had better stay away from the
Matthews family.

These should be added to the above list: maxine Brady, my cousin,
married George Grimes a great grandson of Joseph Matthews.
(Joseph Matthews must have married Sarah Mahaly Garrett,
daughter of Elisha and Agnes Heffington Garrett*. Is there anyone
in Enola that is not descended from the Heffingtons? *Agnes
daughter of Old David)

This thread: