4TH-TENNESSEE-CAVALRY-L Archives

Archiver > 4TH-TENNESSEE-CAVALRY > 2014-10 > 1414435803

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [4TH-TENNESSEE-CAVALRY] Capt Cunningham question
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 18:50:03 -0000

Author: michael648_1
Surnames: Cunningham
Classification: military

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.Military.civwar.tn.4thcav/6.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

I recognize that your Original Message is almost a decade old...but, if you are still an active Ancestry.com member, and, have not yet identified Capt. Cunningham, the URLs I have placed below might be of interest to you.

My great grand father, Henry Beal (col.) purchased his 85 acre farm in 1897 from Mary Christina (Rudder) Starnes, the widow of the Commander of the 4th TN Cavalry Regiment, and, later, Commander of the 2nd TN Cavalry Brigade (Forrest's former Brigade) at the Battle of Tullahoma and, also, led the Brigade in earlier combat during late 1st quarter 1864 and during the 2nd quarter of 1864 (He was mortally wounded circa 30 June 1864 at Tullahoma), i.e., Colonel or Brigadier General James Welborn Starnes, M.D..

I am the great great grandson of Alexander Miller Jr a member of:
Company "A", 17th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment
United States Colored Troops

and

I am the son of the late Major James D. Morton, U.S. Army [Ret.]
Member 97th Engr Regt (col.) which built WWII Alcan Hwy/Pipeline
29th QM Group (WWII New Guinea) - Master Sergeant & Grp Sgt Major
Korea Battlefield Commission from Warrant Officer JG to 2nd Lt.
Buffalo Soldier of the 510th Heavy Tank Battalion during the 1950s
(The 10th Cav. Regt was redesignated as the 510th Heavy Tank Bn)
Member 7th Psychological Operations Group - Okinawa (1960s)
Member 28th U.S. Army Artillery Grp at Selfridge Air Force Base, MI

I hope the URLs will be helpful.

Michael Morton

Civil War Lookups:
http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm
8th TN Cavalry Regiment (Smith's):
http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-battle-units-detail.htm?battleUnitCode=CTN0008RC
Battle Of Nashville Reports:
http://www.aotc.net/nashv-rep.htm
TN Johnny Reb Table Of Contents:
http://www.tngenweb.org/civilwar/misc/confedrec.html
8th (BAXTER SMITH'S) TENNESSEE
CAVALRY REGIMENT
Usually called 4th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment:
http://www.tngenweb.org/civilwar/csacav/csabaxter.html
He was also in 4th (MURRAY'S) TENNESSEE
CAVALRY REGIMENT:
http://www.tngenweb.org/civilwar/csacav/csamurray.html