74TH_REGIMENT_OF_FOOT-L Archives

Archiver > 74TH_REGIMENT_OF_FOOT > 2004-03 > 1078503184

Subject: 74TH_REGIMENT_OF_FOOT list
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:13:04 EST

List members,

Actually my ancestor served with the 98th Regiment of Foot (Prince of Wales)
but since his story is similar to the 74th, I joined this list.

Patrick DONNELLAN was one of my 3rd great grandfathers:

"Born: Roscommon Ireland c.1784. Enlisted 21 Sep 1804 at age 20. Served
1804-1818.

Patrick fought on the side of the British during the Napoleonic Wars and,
upon cessation, was among a number of the fighting men who were granted land in
Canada as a reward for service. Patrick was a Sergeant in the Prince of Wales
98th Regiment. He (possibly) fought at the Battle of Waterloo.

Enroute to Nova Scotia from England, the regiment spent some time in St.
John's, Newfoundland. It was here Patrick met his future wife, Eleanor Franey.
The couple were married in St. John's in the Roman Catholic Chapel on October
14, 1816. The following September their first child, a daughter Mary, was
born.

The couple left Newfoundland and arrived in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia in
1818 where Patrick's regiment was disbanded. It was here on November 11th of
that same year that they lost little Mary. Their second child, son Edmund, was
born in January of 1819.

According to the "History of New Ross (Nova Scotia)", grants of land were
issued to the disbanded soldiers on December 22, 1819, signed by the Honourable
George, Earl of Dalhousie. Patrick Donnellan was granted 200 acres of land.
The "History" also says that in 1820 the settlers began struggling in to
Dalhousie [so named for the Earl]. Mrs. Donnellan was the first white woman to
enter the settlement and the only one there for months. Apparently she walked
from Annapolis Royal and at one point walked across a river on a fallen tree
carrying her baby son Edmund, who was about six months old."

I have more information on Patrick and his descendants. I will send it
offline to anyone who is interested.

Roy Boylan
Vancouver, Washington, USA

This thread: