ABBOTT-L Archives

Archiver > ABBOTT > 2003-09 > 1063312338

From: Elizabeth B Harvey <>
Subject: [ABBOTT] Abbott SC-GA-AL-MS-TX
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:32:21 -0700 (PDT)

Abbott family researchers:

I am researching a line with clear documentary trail to a Willis Abbott (b. SC in 7 Sep 1797, d. 8 Sep 1882 Chickasaw County, Mississippi) who married a Francis Poole or Pool (b.22 Sep 1804 in GA d. 7 Nov 1888 Chickasaw County, Mississippi), probably the daughter of James Pool. I am hoping that by getting in contact with other Abbott's in the same counties where he was, that we will be able to get enough information to make that connection.

There may be some relatives who traveled with him through his movements in the South, and stopped at different points along the way.

What I have is the following:

South Carolina

Willis Abbott b. SC 1797 His parents are both from South Carolina

My guess is they moved to Georgia, between 1798-1820 ???

1800 census for Georgia & Alabama lost through 1820

by 1830 in Pike County Alabama:

Willis Abbott, married with small children,
living near ( within a page or 2 either way) is:

John Abbott b. 1800-1810
Lewis Abbott b. 1790-1800
William Abbott b. 1790-1800

- all are gone from Pike county by 1840 census

by 1840 census Willis Abbott is in Chickasaw County, MS

Lewis Abbott and William Abbott are in Perry County, Alabama

John Abbott (most likely the same John) is living in Monroe County, MS (right next door to Chickasaw County, MS) Added is a Jordan Abbott in Monroe County (related???)

By 1850:

Can only find Willis Abbott in Chickasaw county, MS until his death in 1882.

Please contact me if you have any information on these gentlemen and their families. In Willis' family are the following people:

- Emeline Abbott b. about 1831, AL m. John Smith Chickasaw county, MS
- Susan Isabella Abbott b. 11 Aug 1846 unmarried (as far as I know)
- John S. Abbott b. 11 Dec 1828, AL m. Miriam Lipsey one child, Leroy Abbott b. 12 Nov 1853
- Louisa F. Abbott b. Jul 1827 in Georgia m. Thomas or Theodore Gilliam d. in Gettysburg
- Nancy Caroline Abbott b. 23 May 1832 in Alabama m. James R. Parker in Chickasaw County, MS
- James Lafayette Abbott b. 3 Sep 1832 m. Mary Elizabeth Sadler
- George Washington Abbott b. 9 Aug 1837 m. Lucinda E. Harris d. in Arkansas
- Harriet K. Abbott b. 1825 m. William Graham
- Ary Jane Abbott b. 16 July 1842 unmarried (as far as I know), but according to Willis Abbott's will, she had 2 children (kept the Abbott last name), of Fanny Lee and Lillie D. Abbott
- Mary Abbott b. 1823 m. ? Davis

Look forward to hearing about connections to this family.

Thanks,
Liz Harvey

This thread: