ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 1999-02 > 0918439440

From: Violet Matthews <>
Subject: Memories
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 21:04:00 -0500

This is not a plea for help but just a ramble down memory lane. In
looking back on research and pictures I found one of my uncle sitting at
the wheel of a very old car, (before 1923 since he died then). In the
back ground is a row of houses and on the photo my mother had written
"this is the row of houses hit when Aberdeen was bombed WW2, the one on
the end is no.60 Bedford Road which was totally destroyed with no
survivors" My grandparents lived at 52 Bedford. We were in Canada and
my folks were told that Trinity Cemetery was also hit and that my
sister's grave was demolished. She was Gladys Stewart, died age 9 in
Sep. 1929, buried Lair #266 Class 2 Section G. Does anyone recall those
events during the war? I am still in possession of the papers from
Clark and Co., Funeral Undertakers. Cost of white coffin and Flannette
Robe, glass sided funeral car to cemetery, advertising death, two taxis,
came to a grand total of 6 pounds 13 shillings! One odd note is that a
postage stamp is affixed at the bottom of the bill,covered with the
notation "Paid with Thanks" etc. Why the postage stamp? A further 2
receipts are signed John Duthie, one for 6/6 for Dressing the Lair from
Sep to Dec. 1928, and one for internment of Gladys in the sum of 1
pound.26. The bottom line was rather amusing-"Saturday afternoon 50%
extra"

--
Vi Matthews

Ontario, Canada