ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2006-11 > 1164413076

From: "Peter & Kate Brial" <>
Subject: [ABERDEEN] Headstones at Birse Kirkyard - GRANT / RITCHIE /STRACHAN / DONALD / BROWN / SIMPSON / RICHARDSON / FERRIES /ROBERTSON / LINDSAY
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:04:36 +1000

Many years ago we visited Scotland in search of my ancestry. We visited the
churchyard at Birse in the hope of finding my ancestors. Unfortunately upon
finding further information on my family I have found that none of these
people relate to my family. I thought someone on the list may be related to
some of these people, and may be interested.

In memory of Catherine GRANT who died at Ballochmyle, Aboyne 10th August
1961 aged 84 years Beloved wife of Daniel RITCHIE who died 5th October 1962
aged 89 years.

Sacred to the memory of Alexander STRACHAN farmer Cowton of Rickarton who
died April 20th 1868 aged 66 years, also his daughter who died September
27th 1866 aged 37 years, and of William his son who was drowned off British
Columbia September 27th 1862 aged 19 years. Also of Ann GRANT wife of the
above Alexander STRACHAN who died Octr. 25th 1880 aged 81 years.

In loving memory of Elizabeth DONALD who died 25th November 1923 aged 64
also of our father Robert LINDSAY who died 30th March 1930 aged 69.

Charles Alexander BROWN and Elsie GRANT.

Erected by Peter BROWN in memory of his children Elizabeth who died 14th
April 1860 aged 2 years George Henry 17th February 1871 aged 6 years and
Mary Ann SIMPSON 21st February aged 14 years and 10 months, also his wife
Elizabeth ROBERTSON died 18th May 1897 aged 62 years and of the said Peter
BROWN died 1st December 1911 aged 89 years.
I think the inscription "The days of man are as a shadow" also appears at
the bottom of this headstone.

Erected by Ann GRANT in memory of her husband William FERRIES, farmer in
Drumneachie, Birse who died 19th July 1852 aged 90 years also the said Ann
GRANT who died 20th February 1864 aged 87 years also of their daughter Ann
who died 1st April 1899 aged 89 years.

I hope this if of interest to someone on the list.

Regards, Kate Brial

This thread: