ABOUT-WORDS-L Archives

Archiver > ABOUT-WORDS > 2003-08 > 1059748988

From: "Gordon Barlow" <>
Subject: [ABOUT WORDS] Glaswegian, Galwidian
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:44:29 -0700

> > And why Glaswegian, by the way, and not Glasgowan or Glasgovian? Was
> > Glasgow once Glasweg?
> > Gordon Barlow

> Glaswegians are -wegians because the alternative would have to
be -gowaian, -gowayan.
> I'd suppose some influence by comparison with Norvegr > L. Norwegia; SE
Norway > Norwegian.
> But a stronger influence from *Galloway, in south-east Scotland. Galloway
> Galwidian.
> So Glasgow > Glaswidian > Glaswegian. Scots of Galloway are Galwidians;
and the Irish of Galway, too, Galwidians.
> Roger

GB again. Well, as I said, Glasgovian might be acceptable as the adjective
for Glasgow, as Harrovian is for Harrow. Obviously Norway-Norwegian is or
was the possible model for Glasgow, but I wonder why, since it is a fair
stretch from -gow to -way. Does any Lister have any idea how Glaswegian
might have come about? There is nothing intrinsically unlikely about
"Glasgowan", surely.

I did not know the peoples of Galway and Galloway are called Galwidians.
Again, why?

Gordon Barlow

This thread: