ACADIAN-CAJUN-L Archives

Archiver > ACADIAN-CAJUN > 2000-08 > 0965995567

From: <>
Subject: Re: Acadian genetics and adoped children
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:06:07 EDT

adoped children in a genealogy <is not an acceptible practice in true
genealogical research and records.>

Even if you don't give a hoot about "standard genealogical practice," please
consider Fran Wilcox's point: < There is enough genetic need for that
information to warrent having two complete genealogies. Knowing if a relative
was adopted could remove the fear of an inherited genetic disorder.
Hopefully more about this will be on this site because it eventually affects
all of us.>

Because genetics and health issues are very important in the Acadian
community (statistics show a significantly higher occurence of certain
genetic disorders among Acadians/Cajuns than in the general population), I
believe that this is germane to the discussion on this list.

Last year at the Congres Mondial I attended the day-long conference on
"Acadian Genetics" held at Lake Charles. One of the organizers told me that
the conference had generated enormous interest in the genetic research
community in Louisiana, and virtually everyone involved was present and
participating. I spent a lot of time talking to several of the leading
doctors doing research in the various disorders that have significant
occurrence in the Acadian / Cajun community. Because tracing a family line
is so important in genetic research, they were saying how fortunate it is
that the Acadian lines are so well and frequently researched. One of the
speakers even made a public plea for people to make their research available
so the researchers could benefit from it.

Well, in such cases it becomes very important to know whether or not a person
is in the blood line -- and it has nothing to do with our feelings about that
person (perhaps our most beloved sibling, cousin, grandfather, etc.) Even if
the researcher has no intention of giving his/her research to geneticists,
someone else who gets hold of the reserach might do just that--a member of a
later generation whose child is affected by some genetic disorder, for
example.

Increasingly, the scientific community as well as family historians are
becoming aware of the usefulness of genealogy for family health issues, these
Acadian genetic disorders included. If for no other reason (and it is my
personal belief that there are other reasons), it is important, at the least,
to let others know that one has included non-blood relatives in the family
tree.

Many of the genealogical software programs are now making allowances for such
inclusions, as well as for accommodating "non-traditional" partnerships and
families. Specially shaped or otherwise coded child buttons, for example,
can signal that one is adopted. Other type indicators (usually
visual--shapes, icons, etc.) can signal a non-traditional partnership with
children, etc., and most can give the "status" of a marriage (separated,
divorced, etc.) (I am not expert on the different programs, but I know, for
example, that both Reunion [for Mac] and Generations [for PC] do this, and I'm
sure many others do as well.) And the notes section can be a place for
diplomatically mentioning whatever "departures" from the blood line have been
included.

Claire Bettag

This thread: