ACADIAN-CAJUN-L Archives

Archiver > ACADIAN-CAJUN > 2000-11 > 0974661986

From: Roger Rozendal <>
Subject: Re: Joseph Guidry
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 13:26:26 -0600

Stanley LeBlanc has a good summary of the documented arrival of the Acadians in
Louisiana on his website http://www.thecajuns.com/acadians.htm.

The documented arrivals prior to the April 1766 census in Attakapas and
Cabannoce are:

April 1764: 20 individuals from New York and relatives from detention camp in
Ft. Edwards, Nova Scotia. Brasseaux "The Founding of New Acadia" p. 207

February-April 1765: 193 with Joseph Broussard plus others from Halifax
totalling 238 persons. Brasseaux "Quest for the Promised Land" p. 43-44 Aubry
and Foucault to Choiseul-Stanville, letter dated April 30, 1765 "We have the
honor of informing you of the arival of several Acadian families from
Saint-Domingue (193 with Broussard 25 February 1765). Since their arrival,
others have come. Notwithstanding seven or eight who have died, they constitute
231 persons. We were able to convince them to settle in the districts of
Opelousas and Attakapas and they have departed (17 April 1765)."

May 1765: 80 persons plus 48 families. Brasseaux "Quest for the promised Land"
p. 48 letter dated May 13, 1765 " I was informed of the arrival on the lower
river of 48 Acadian families. Like the families who precede them, they came
from Saint-Domingue. The 80 persons whom I discussed in my letter dated May 4
and these 48 additional families are causing me a great deal of concern" These
Acadians were settled along the Mississippi River.

Thus the original numbers of Joseph Broussards band in Attakapas-Opelouses
(including 7 or 8 who died in New Orleans) was about 238. The original number
on the Mississippi is less precise, 80+48 families. Given 3 members per family,
the total would be 224.

Census of 25 April 1766 in Attakapas lists 149 individuals. Census of Cabannoce
area on the Mississippi River lists about 249 individuals

I have been working with the census of Attakapas-Opelousas trying to recreate
Joseph Broussard's band and their history from the detention camps in Nova
Scotia to Louisiana, which is still very much in progress.

Attakapas, District of the Pointe: 36 individuals
Mostly members of families associated with Alexandre Broussard who
were together at Halifax. Documented 16 deaths prior to April 1766
associated with these families.

Attakapas, Bayou Queue de Tortue: 37 individuals
Mostly members of families associated with Joseph Broussard from
both Ft. Edwards (where Joseph and Joseph, Jr. were imprisoned) and Halifax
where several of his sons were. Documented 3 deaths prior to April
1766

Attakapas, District La Manque: 42 individuals
Thibodeaus, Pellerins, Martins from both Halifax and Ft. Edwards.
Documented 9 deaths prior to April 1766

Opelousas, Acadians: 34 individuals
Sonniers, Cormiers, Savoies, Richards from both Halifax and Ft.
Edwards. Documented 2 deaths prior to 1766

The last group are those that appeared on the list of Canadian money holders
dated 30 April 1765, but were listed in the April 1766 census in Cabannoce. In
this group were the Arseneaus, Bergerons, Cormiers, and Roys. Documented 16
deaths in Attakapas in these families which is what caused them to flee. In the
Cabannoce census of 9 April 1766, 41 individuals are listed in these families.

Results to date (rough and still in progress)

CENSUS DEATHS

Attakapas, District of the Pointe
36 16
Attakapas, Bayou Queue de Tortue
37 3
Attakapas, District La Manque
42 9
Opelousas
34 2
Fled to Cabannoce
41 16

Totals
190 46 236

The 236 is in the ball park of the original Broussard group.

Roger Rozendal
,net

wrote:

> The Attakapas area is around Opelousas. Joseph Guidry and his family as was
> Isabelle (Elizabeth) family in the St. James area. These areas are not near
> each other. The acadians that went to Attakapas were among the last to
> arrive in Louisiana according to "The Founding of New Acadia" by Carl A.
> Brasseaux. The Acadians were first settled around New Orleans then the
> "German Coast" then the Acadian Coast (St James area). The purpose of this
> was the Spanish wanted to protect themselves from attack along the
> Mississippi. They settled the Acadians along the Mississippi and made each
> area a fort.
>
> The Acadians who moved to Assecention and Assumption parishes later, moved
> because of a great Crevasse near St. James. The army moved the levee and
> built it up. One area the levee was moved was St. James Cemetary. Some of
> my ancestors as well as my husbands are buried under the levee. Gen. P G T
> Beauregard's wife is also buried under this levee. They decided not to move
> the graves but to leave them under the levee.
>
> Joseph Guidry lived in the St. James area and died in Convent. His daughter
> married Jean Gaudet at the Terrebonne court house and they also settled in
> the St. James area. Jean's parents are buried in the vicinity of Oak Alley
> plantation. Jean's son Pierre Gaudet was the first to move to Assumption
> Parish (Belle River). I have a copy of Jean Gaudet's succession.
>
> Pat Gaudet

This thread: