ACADIAN-CAJUN-L Archives

Archiver > ACADIAN-CAJUN > 2004-08 > 1092579457

Subject: Re Henry Nugent
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:17:37 EDT

Hi Theresa,

the Nugent name is most likely Irish. I poked around and found a few across
the board mentions. You didn't mention if he was a person of color or not. In
either case, below are some places that might have clues as to his origins.
Virginia, Pennsylvania, and I even found lots of Nugents in the Boston area. AND
Jamaica, Lady Nugent could very well have given her name to more than one
slave.

Fran Wilcox

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.familycrest_details/s.Nugent/Nugent_family_
Crest/Nugent_coat_of_arms/qx/Nugent.htm

First found in county Westmeath where they were seated after 1172.

Some of the first settlers of this name or some of its variants were:
Christopher Nugent who settled in Virginia in 1638; Arthur, Charles, Daniel, Edward,
Hugh, Henry, Isabella, Jane, John, Margaret, Martin, Michael, Patrick, Peter,
Richard, Robert, Terence, Thomas and William Nugent all arrived in
Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860.

(Above is a small excerpt from our 1800 word history)

Eunice BOND b. 28 Jun. 1830 Wayne Co, IN; m 22 May 1865, Henry NUGENT.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:lt-RynqfqRcJ:www.genealogy105.com/bond.ht
ml+Henry+Nugent+genealogy&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

http://users.pullman.com/mitchelm/sources.htm
(Jamaican history/genealogy)

Wright Philip. Lady Nugent's Journal of her residence in Jamaica from 1801 to
1805. Kingston, Jamaica: Institute of Jamaica Fourth (revised) edition 1966
331pp

Lady Maria Nugent was the English wife of a Governor of Jamaica. She kept a
detailed journal during her stay in Jamaica. The pages show her concern for
the health of her family in the island, and her contempt for many of the lazy
clergy she met. She made a trip around the island, meeting many people whom she
describes with interest. This revised edition has a person index, which is
very helpful if you want to know more about the white population. Lady Nugent was
a great name dropper in her journal and Wright has tried to identify many of
the people. Lady Nugent comments frequently on the slave population, but not
many individuals are mentioned. A map of her trip is included as well several
plates of life in Jamaica at the turn of the century.

This thread: