ADAMS-L ArchivesArchiver > ADAMS > 2000-03 > 0953422455
Subject: [ADAMS-L] John Hopewell Adams...
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 18:34:15 EST
This information was sent out on the SC list.
ADAMS, H. HOPEWELL 1769-1847 WASHINGTON
Horace Hopewell Adams, Jr. was born July 22, 1769 in Edgecombe County,
North Carolina, the son of Hopewell and Elizabeth Adams of Edgecombe
County. Hopewell Adams, Jr. married Nancy Manning, born April 10, 1783 in
Edgecombe County, the daughter of Benjamin Manning, Sr. Hopewell and Nancy
Adams had eleven children:
1. Pharaby b. 7/21/1799, m. Wm. D. "Billy" Jordan, 1817.
d. 1/11/1856. b. 10,(10/1797, d. 1/22/1851.
2. James Aaron b. 12/18/1801, m. Elizabeth Brown Hudson.
3. Elizabeth b. 10/10/1803, m. Abijah Wiggins, moved to Henry County, Ala.
4. John W. b. 7/30/1807,
5. Levy Arnold b. 3/26/1810,
6. Benjamin b. 5/16/1812, m. Ardelia Tanner, 3/7/I839. d. 11/12/1863.
7. Alsy b. 8/3/1814., m. Thomas Jordan, 10/26/1840.
8. Nancy b. 5/17/1816
9. Hopewell, III b. 8/14/1818, m. 1) Julia Ann Amanda Mathis., d.
4/23/1897, 2) Nancy Wiggins.
10.Jordan b. 1/4/1823, m. Mary Susan Mathis.
11. Rebecca b. 1/31/1824, m. 1) Wm. H. Tanner, d. 5/27/1907, 2) Heskial
Hopewell Adams and his wife, Nancy, were members of Bethlehem Baptist
Church at Warthen, Georgia. This church had as it's pastor, Nancy's
brother, Rev. Benjamin Manning. They left this church to become charter
members of Sisters Church when it was formed in 1824.
Nancy Manning Adams died June 15, 1842. Hopewell Adams died June 15, 1847
near Warthen, Georgia.
Contributed by: Jean Adams Walker of Jesup, Georgia.