ADKINS-L Archives

Archiver > ADKINS > 1997-05 > 0862857233

From: ATKINS_PHIL <>
Subject: 1850 Census, 10 District, in the county of Cabell Virginia
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 11:33:53 -0700

--------------7CEA80452A0

This is thought to be the grandfather of Robert G. ATKINS and father of =

Calahill ATKINS.

1850 Census, 10 District, in the county of Cabell Virginia =

324 | 333 John G. Atkins | 35 | M | Farmer | 2,000 =

Letty | 27 | F | =

Lethy | 8 | F |
Clara | 6 | F |
Caroline | 11 | F |
Frances | 3 | F |
Albert G. P. | 1 | M |

NOTE: Genealogy RoundTable
Category 111, Topic 48
T.WINTERS4 [Lakeland, FL] at 20:02 EDT

Phil Atkins,

Yes, all of West Virginia has been indexed for 1850 and 1860. Also, I =

have two different versions of Cabell Co. (only) census for 1850. I have =

checked all three Cabell Co. families of John ADKINS/ATKINS and the best =

candidate for your Calahill is: =

324-333 John G. ATKINS 35, farmer $2,000, VA
Lethy 27
Lethy 8
Clara 6
Caroline 4
Frances (female) 3
Albert G. P. 1

I suspect that this ALBERT G. P. ATKINS is your Callahill. I note that =

this ATKINS family is living near Edward Franklin and Parker Lucas, which =

makes me suspect that this is the section which later became Lincoln Co., =

WV. (See note below concerning Hobart Franklin's books)

Also, living next door is Joseph ATKINS 33, wife Elizabeth 38, Stephaus =

8, Cosby 6, Mary A. 4, Oscar 1, George L. 2.

Two houses away is #336 Eliza ADKINS 28, Louisa 30, and Sara F. 2 month.

Two more houses away is 327-338 Brison ATKINS 666, b. VA.

Two more houses away is 329-340 Sarah ADKINS 46, Thomas 12, Polly 10.

Three more houses away is 332-343 Joseph ADKINS 26, Margaret 37, Susan =

16, Melvina 7, Sarah A. 5, Daniel D. 2.

My wild guess is that Brison ATKINS may be the father or uncle of most of =

these living near him.

I have ordered the Cabell Co. census for 1860 which is hot off the =

presses. I expect it to arrive sometime within the next month. Remind =

me in a month, and I will be glad to check on this newly published =

annotated census for John and Callahill ATKINS.

I may have mentioed this previously, but there is a good amount of YEAGER =

data available in the unpublished manuscripts of Hobart Franklin. He is =

a cousin of Col. Chuck Yeager, famlus pilot who first broke the sound =

barrier. These YEAGER's were from Lincoln Co., WV. Mr. Franklin's =

manuscripts are available at Special Collections, Marshall University =

Library, Huntington, WV, or the Barboursville Public Library. The first =

is preferable because photocopies are only ten cents. Unfortunately, I =

posess no photocopies of the YEAGER section of Mr. Franklin's =

manuscripts, though I do have copies of a couple of other sections of his =

book.

-- =

Copyright =A9 1996, 1997 Atkins & Associates

The Library of Congress Experimental Search System:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/catalog/

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/
_/ Philip Atkins * 2805 Queens Way =

_/ (206)404-5389 v/m * Suite B-2
_/ * Milton, WA 98354-9017 =

_/ 1-800-484-9781 x 1830 =

_/ =

_/ World Wide Web homepage: =

_/ http://www.rand.org/personal/Genea
_/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ =

=

InterNIC *search* http://www.internic.net/tools/
=

1.800.CALL.WVA http://www.state.wv.us/tourism =

=

Reference.Com http://www.reference.com

Montani Semper Liberi
=

<><

--------------7CEA80452A0

rec001.jpg - :-( too large, needs to be rescanned.

rec002.jpg - :-( ROTATE

1850 Russell County, Virginia

#40-42 Parents of Angeline (Compton) Atkins mother of Robert Gilmore Atkins b. Mar 1873

rec003.jpg -

1880 Census, Crew Garden, Russell County, Virginia - Calahill Atkins, father of Robert Gilmore Atkins.

167|173 Atkins, Calahill | W | M | 32 | unreadable - ?
Angeline | W | F | 31 | Keeping Home
Emily | D | F | 10 |
Robert G.| S | W | 8 |
? Zodve N. | S | W | 6 |
? Muntie | D | W | 3 |
Thomas J.| S | W |5/12|

Soundex Virginia A325 Atkins, Calahill
1880 Census - Index, Russell County, Virginia, New Garden District

Dollie, not yet born and therefore not listed on this census, had a daughter named Mildred who met with Betty Jean (Lucas) Norman my 1st cousin and daughter of Dolly (Atkins) Lucas, Haynor and confirmed this census record account of their family. Robert G. listed here is Dollie Atkins grandfather. Therefore she was named after her great aunt.

In other words, Dollie who was not yet born, was a sister to Robert G. Atkins. Dollie's daughter Mildred meet her second cousin Betty Jean who spoke to her mother Dollie and relayed this story. Dollie had heard that she was named after a Dollie in the family, but until this time had not know from which family member.

Soundex Virginia A325 Atkins, Calahill
1880 Census - Index, Russell County, Virginia, New Garden District

rec004.jpg -

Marriage Records of Cabell County, West Virginia of the years 1809 - 1851. Adkins, Elias marriage to Fry, Susannah Nov. 25, 1819

rec005.jpg -

[...]

rec006.jpg - :-( ROTATE: Soundex of Calahill ATKINS

rec007.jpg - :-( ROTATE: Soundex of Calahill ATKINS part #2

rec008.jpg - : Delia Adkins, funeral billing record

rec009.jpg - :-( ROTATE

Register of Marriage, Aaron Adkins, Francis Toney 23 18 Logan Co. Va. Logan Co. Va Logan Co. W. Va. Lincoln Co W. Va. A. & F. Adkins J. & N. Toney Farming

rec010.jpg - :-( ROTATE Duplicate record of rec009.jpg

rec011.jpg - :-( ROTATE

part #2 of rec009.jpg

rec012.jpg - Bible record of Sidney Atkins

Register of Births

(grandparents of Sidney ATKINS)

Aaron Adkins was born August 15th 1845
Frances Adkins was born December 26 1851

(children of Aaron Theron Adkins & Frances Toney (1851-1932) d/o James Toney m. 21 Dec 1868)

David K. Adkins was born August 12th 1873
William T. Adkins was born August 12th 1876
Moses B. Adkins was born Sept 4th 1879
Thomas J. Adkins was born Sept 14th 1884
Robert E. Adkins was born July 9th 1889
H. R. Adkins was born June 29th 1893
Dealy Anne Adkins was born Sept 27th 1870 d. 10/08/1946

(mother of Sidney Atkins)

Dealy Anne Adkins was born Sept 27th 1870 d. 10/08/1946

rec013.jpg - Register of Marriages

Aaron Adkins and Frances Toney was Married in the yera of our Lord August 15th 1868

rec014.jpg - Grandparents of: Sidney Atkins

Marriages, Wayne County

Adkins, Aaron 23 Toney, Francis 18 12-31-1868 Wayne

Husband's parents A & F Adkins
Wife's parents J & N Toney

rec015.jpg - Delia Ann (Adkins) Atkins & son: Frank Atkins, brother of Sidney Atkins

rec016.jpg - 1880 Census-Index Lincoln County, Hart's Creek Dist. Vol 6, ED 65, Sheet 9, Line 26

Adkins, Aaron | W | M | 34

Francis C | W | 27 | VA
Delley A. | D | 10 | W Va
King D | S | 6 | W Va