ADKINS-L Archives

Archiver > ADKINS > 2010-12 > 1293847247

Subject: Re: [ADKINS] Native American Adkins & Atkins
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 21:00:47 -0500 (EST)

One of the biggest problems with Native American/Indian heritage is the
persecution and wholesale slaughter of these peoples. They blended into
surrounding communities wherever they could, some into white, some into black or
other, changing names as needed. As records were made, they were often made
without any reference to NA heritage. Families denied to their own
children that they were Indians, and some still do today. Persecution of Indians
is not gone! Genocide style practices were extant in at least the late 20th
century (i.e.-1970). And of course, the granny stories are many, or the
stories passed down by great aunts and uncles when the granny refused to admit
this heritage.

I finally found my alleged to be "full blood Cherokee" great grandmother's
name, family, etc. She was married five times...times were hard. However,
so far I've never seen any records indicating she was Indian.

I do not know much about it, but some tribes have good records including
very ancient records. These are not available to the casual genealogy buff
wanting to fill in a field. I've never even asked for information, but have
heard in some circles that these exist. So, if you have direct access to the
tribal groups in the specific area concerned, you can ask. The answer
might be an annoyed shrug, a no...or just maybe a documented answer. All in
all, it really isn't that important, but it feels important, and can be
related to some benefits. Tracing applications for certain benefits can sometimes
turn up information.

Doug
...descendant of Adkins, Horton, Egnor and many more who were undoubtedly
Indian...Egnor being my Horton's ancestor said to be Cherokee.

In a message dated 12/31/2010 3:00:17 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

any of them ADKINS/ATKINS go to Texas or Oklahoma? I have the exact
same problem with Adkins and Cherokee

wrote:

>This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
>
>Author: twa19371
>Surnames: Adkins, Atkins,Tiller, Davis
>Classification: queries
>
>Message Board URL:
>
>http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.adkins/3043/mb.ashx
>
>Message Board Post:
>
>My mother Marion Norman Atkins from Richmond VA the daughter of Norman
Murdock Atkins told us that we are Cherokee Indian. A lot of my relatives are
from Mangohick VA. I may be Chickahominy also, from my father's side Harry
L. Atkins. Both sides had their names changed from "ADKINS to ATKINS"
due to discrimination against Native Americans. If anyone has any info on
this please contact me here.

>Important Note:
>The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you
would like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above
and respond on the board.

the body of the message