AFR-ZIMBABWE-L Archives

Archiver > AFR-ZIMBABWE > 2002-11 > 1036678630

From: "Jackie Sadler" <>
Subject: Re: "Bulawayo Chronicle"
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:17:10 +0200

Hello Bob

I printed your emai and went off to the National Archives in Harare with it.
In a short space of time they produced some microfilm which I went through
and very easily found the article you are looking for.

I have ordered a photograph of the page - they cannot do a photocopy and it
will take two weeks.

If you would like to send me your snail mail address I will post it to you.
Please will you also remind me to collect it in two weeks time as I am
emigrating from Zim to UK in four weeks and life is a bit hectic at the
moment.

Jackie
> Hello from Australia. I wonder if some very kind and knowledgable person
can help me? In 1877 my Great Uncle, Charles Welch was in what was then
Rhodesia. He shot a "wild pig" and soon found that it was a lioness that he
had wounded. The Lions chased him and he managed to get to a tree in time
and spent some time there, no doubt reflecting on his stupidity!!

> The story was published in "Bulawayo Chronicle"on Sat 24 Dec 1898. I have
a photo copy of a photo copy of the article, which is barely legible. I
wrote to the newspaper in 1994, but received no reply.

> Can anyone suggest where/who to try to get a legible copy?? Any help would
be greatly appreciated. Cheers Bob Cunninb

This thread: