AFRICANAMER-GEN-L Archives

Archiver > AFRICANAMER-GEN > 2001-06 > 0991587653

From: "sbrow" <>
Subject: Re: [AfricanAmer-Gen] McDOWELL, BROYLES - east TN/western NC
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 12:00:53 -0500

HISTORY OF BLADEN

Bladen County is located in Eastern North Carolina, near 50 miles from
WIlmington. Bladen was the heart of the naval stores industry including
production of turpentine, as well as the railroad industry.

Bladen was the mother county to almost all of North Carolina until separate
counties were formed. Bladen was formed from New Hanover County.

MCDOWELL

Thomas McDowell is of Irish ancestry and settled in Bladen County. His
father immigrated from Ireland and was a physician by the name of Alexander
McDowell who has an extensive archive collection at the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill. They owned the Purdie Plantation in Elizabethtown,
NC. Thomas was a lawyer by profession.
This is the only information that I have at this time on him. Further
details are listed in the archives at UNC-Chapel Hill.

Hope this will be able to assist. Thanks.

Sonya Brown