AKINS-L Archives

Archiver > AKINS > 2000-05 > 0959199279

From: " Steven & Julie Akins of that Ilk" <>
Subject: Re: [AKINS] Akin/Aiken
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 20:14:39 -0000

Patrick, the James Akens (sic) b. 1763 or 1764 "on the line between Maryland
and Pennsylvania" and died on 12 April, 1843 at Newnan, Coweta Co., GA,
(buried at the First Presbyterian Church cemetery [now Oak Hill] in Newnan,
Georgia, was a younger brother to William Akins, Sr. (B. 1756 in Cecil Co.,
Maryland; d. 29 March, 1841 Cherokee Co., Alabama) and John Akins (b. 1760
Cecil Co., Maryland; d. 1839 Morgan Co., Georgia). James Akens, like his
elder brother, William, was a Revolutionary War soldier living in
Mecklenburg Co., N.C. at the time of the War, where they had been brought by
their father, James Akin, from Cecil County when James Jr. was "too young to
remember". James Akin, Sr. purchased 200 acres in Mecklenburg Co., N.C. in
1777 from John McKnitt Alexander, which was located in the vicinity of
Steele Creek. James Sr. and his wife have two children who are buried at
Steele Creek Presbyterian Church in Mecklinburg Co, N.C. near the Charlotte
airport, they are: Thomas Akins, b. 1759; d. 15 August, 1785, and Agnes
Akens (sic), b. 1770, d. 1779. Another daughter, Rachel Akins appears in a
Mecklinburg County N.C. court record dated April 11th, 1782, sueing for
child support for her illegitimate child born to he and fathered by John
Brownfield.
James Akens Jr. served two terms of service in the North Carolina line
under Capt. Locke. He appears in a York Co., S.C. record in 1789 and was
indicted to have taken part in a riot along with several other men. At that
time his older brother, William Akins was sheriff of York Co., S.C. and it
appears that James never stood trial, but went instead to Greene Co.,
Georgia where on 16 March, 1791, he married a woman named Frances and had
two sons by her, William and Joseph Akins, the family later moved from
Greene Co. to Coweta Co., Georgia, where James died and was buried.
There are court records in York Co., S.C. from the early 1800's which
pertain to deeds between a Peter Akins and a John Hill Akins, so this may be
connected to the Hille Akins which you mention.

Julie A. Akins, Sec.
The Clan Akins Society
http://www.angelfire.com/ar/clanakins/society.html