AL-MOBILEBAY-L Archives

Archiver > AL-MOBILEBAY > 1999-03 > 0922681087

From: Jenn of MS Delta <>
Subject: [AL-MOBILEBAY-L] Re: MOFFETT
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 22:18:07 -0600

To the LIST:

Recently in my correspondence with a Moffett cousin Bobby Boyett, I was
sent the following story in relation to relative Eli Moffett and his
life and times in Mobile and the story of his family's events to do
with THE COPELAND GANG. Evidently they were the terrors of the south at
that time, today, they' would be some gang members lunch.

Thought you all might find it an interesting read of history of Mobile
and it's surrounding areas.

Jenn

BOBBY WBOYE BOYETT wrote:

> Henry Moffett (son of John) married Hannah Anderson.
> This Henry is a BROTHER to Gabriel who marries MARY HELMS
>
> HENRY MOFFETT (son of Henry and Hannah Anderson Moffett) b 20 April 1750
> Cedar Run, Va
> married Margaret Patrick (dau of John Patrick) 1771 Amherst
> Co, Va
>
> CRAVEN P. MOFFETT (son of Henry, son of Henry and Hannah) married Mary
> Ann Ellis
> Craven had a BROTHER ELIAS (ELI) who married Matilda
>
> - ELI MOFFETT IN MOBILE COUNTY -
>
> Court Records 1834
>
> At a meeting of Judge and Commissioners of Revenue, Mobile County 1st
> Monday in Feb 1834. Ordered that the following persons be Overseers of
> the road from Mobile to State line, Goff's District, Vincent Vaughn, John
> Pierce, Eli Moffett.
>
> Records beyond 1840 to 1843
>
> Dist & Overseers, 3rd Dist. from W. Hamilton's to the bridge on Dog
> River, Eli Moffett Overseer.
>
> 1837 Eli Moffett to be paid on account of work done on road from De
> Vardels at Spring Hill by way of Goff's to Moffett's residence at State
> Line $250.00
>
> More similar articles bb.
>
> BURNING OF ELI MOFFETT'S HOUSE, AND ATTEMPTED MURDER OF HIS WIFE - "from
> Life and Confession of Noted Outlaw, James Copeland." pages 110-13
>
> The same day Wages and i were consulting thus, my brother John Copeland
> came to bring me some clothes, and he informed me that it was reported
> that old Eli Moffit held a large amount of money, and that there was a
> project on foot to rob him and burn his house the first good opportunity;
> that Moffit had taken a contract to build a bridge in Perry county, and
> would shortly leave home, and that Eli Myrick was to let the party know
> what time Moffit commenced the bridge and would be absent from home. I
> then told Wages what was on foot. He then said "let me leave home about
> three days before, and I will try on the same night to rob old SUMRALL
> and burn his house". In a few days Myrick came down and told us that
> MOFFIT was up in Perry county, and would not be home in two weeks. Wages
> immediately geared up, and started with his cart, his wife and McIntosh.
> Three nights after that Allen Brown, McGrath, John Copeland and I went
> to Moffit's just after dark, about 7 o'clock, on the night of 15th
> December 1847. Eli Myrick did not go with us, because he said Mrs.
> Moffitt would know him too well, but he was in on the secret and shared
> his part of the money.
>
> On getting near, we stopped to consult as to the safest way to get the
> money. Some were for robbing the house and not injuring any of the
> family. That I opposed, for I never believed in leaving any living
> witnesses behind to tell what I had done, if there was any way to prevent
> it. I always thought that two persons were enough to keep a secret, and
> it was safest if one of them were dead, for dead witnesses give no
> [...]

This thread: