ALBARBOU-L Archives

Archiver > ALBARBOU > 2000-05 > 0958523618

From: <>
Subject: [ALBARBOU] Re: McGilvary Part 1
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 20:33:38 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/00 10:56:40 PM !!!First Boot!!!, SDMCGIL writes:

<<
Hello! My name is Steve McGilvary and I live in Bedford, NH. I wonder if we
could be related? My grandfather, John McGilvary, was born an orphan in
Boston, Mass. in 1912. He was raised by a woman named Mrs.Lyons from Woburn,
Mass. My grandfather (died in 1976) knew nothing of his origins - only that
he came from the orphanage with the name McGilvary.
If any of this background is connected in any way to your family tree, I'd
be interested to hear more!
Bye,
Steve McGilvary

Hi ,
I am also at a loss somewhat.I am trying to connect all of my McGilverys
together.I will give you what I have.This curtesy of Bonnie Toole and Roy
McGillivray.And some of my own.I will send in parts.
Patty

Descendants of Martin McGilvray

Generation No. 1

1. MARTIN1 MCGILVRAY was born Abt. 1802 in Scotland, and died Abt. 1855 in
Barbour Co., AL. He married (1) SARA BLUE Abt. 1828, daughter of DANIEL BLUE
and CATHERINE MCLAURIN. She was born Abt. 1808 in Moore Co., NC, and died
Bef. 1838. He married (2) SARAH GILLIS Bef. 1838. She was born Abt. 1817 in
NC, and died Abt. 1880 in Barbour Co., AL.

Notes for MARTIN MCGILVRAY:
Ruby Lee Flinn Wood's family records for her ancestors and her husband's,
Charles Wood, show Martin McGilvray and "Miss Blue" were the parents of
Daniel McGilvray and two daughters.
_________
In the 1850 Barbour County Federal Census:
Division 23 - Barbour County, AL
September 24, 1850 -- Dwelling No. 335
Age Birth Occupation Value
McGilberry
Martin 48 Scotland Farmer $3,000
Sarah (Gillis) 33 NC Second Wife
Daniel 21 NC
Angus 12 AL
Alexander 9 AL
John 4 AL
Neill 2 AL
Martin 4/12 AL
Elizabeth 19 NC
Catherine 18 NC
Flora 10 AL
James Day 23 NC Farm Worker
NOTE: The name should be McGilvray not McGilberry

The household next door appears to be related to the second wife:

Dwelling No. 336
Gillis
Daniel 30 SC Farmer $700
Catherine 24 SC
Sarah 7/12 AL
Sarah McLeod 60 Scotland
D. G. Campbell 34 NC Physician

In the publication "Rural Land Owners of Barbour County 1851", the following
is listed:

John McGilvray, Section 31 - Township 10 - Range 27
John McGilvray was born c. 1798 in Scotland, died October 27, 1857. His wife
Margaret Gillis, born 1813 in Scotland, died January 1885; both are buried in
Old Scotch Cemetery. She received an equal share (1/9) of the estate of Hugh
Gillis who died by 1833, as did Sarah Gillis born 1815 in Scotland, and
Christian Gillis born 1810 in Scotland who was living with Margaret in 1850.

Martin McGilvray, Section 36 - Township 9 - Range 25; and Sections 30 & 31 -
Township 9 - Range 26
Martin McGilvray was born c. 1802 in Scotland, and Sarah Gillis (2nd wife ?)
was born c. 1817 in North Carolina. (Barbour County Records - Vol. 1, Page
107)

Martin McGilvray died between 1850 and 1860; he left a wife, Sarah Gillis
McGilvray and ten children. (From "Marriages and Death Notices from Alabama
Newspapers and Family Records 1819-1890)

There is also a James F. McGilvray in the same area. If this is the child of
Martin and Sarah Gillis McGilvray, this would make ten children.

*****
Land Patent Details -- Martin McGilvray

Document #: 3465
August 15, 1837 40.015 acres (cash) SENW parts, 4/ section, 7-N
township, 26-E range, St. Stephens (Meridian), AL, Dale County (Land Office:
Sparta)

Document #: 2936
August 15, 1837 40.015 acres (cash) SWSW parts, 4/ section, 7-N
township, 26-E range, St. Stephens (Meridian), AL, Dale County (Land Office:
Sparta)

Document #: 2935
August 15, 1837 80.01 acres (cash) E l/2SE parts, 5/ section, 7-N
township, 26-E range, St. Stephens (Meridian), AL, Dale County (Land Office:
Sparta)

Document #: 14380
July 15, 1854 40.01 acres (cash) SWSE parts, 27/ section, 3-N
township, 26-E range, St. Stephens (Meridian), AL, Houston County (Land
Office: Elba)

Land Patent Details -- Martin L. McGilvray (son)

Document #: 17328
December 20, 1882 80.02 acres (cash) NWNE parts, 22/ section, 9-N
township, 25-E range, St. Stephens (Meridian), AL, Barbour County (Land
Office: Montgomery)
NENW parts, 22/ section, 9-N township, 25-E range,
St. Stephens (Meridian), AL, Barbour County (Land Office: Montgomery)

**********

In the period 1830 to 1860, there was a large influx of Scottish immigrants
from North Carolina into Barbour County. In a large part of the 1850 census,
the names begin with "Mc". There are still some old communities (now in
Bullock County which was created in 1866) called Aberfoil, Scotland,
Inverness, Blue's Old Stand, etc. The Pea River Presbyterian Church is
located near the Barbour/Henry County Line in Barbour County which was
founded in 1823 by these early settlers. Many of them are buried there.
*Numerous people with the last name of Blue are buried in Bullock County,
Alabama and show they were originally from North Carolina.

The area of Baker Hill is still located in the Southeast portion of Barbour
County, where Lois Wood Williams remembers from a child.

Notes indicate Hugh was the son of John McGilvray and Margaret Gillis. He
was born about 1833 in AL and married Effie McLeod September 10, 1854. She
was born 1834 in SC, died 1895 in AL. Both are buried in the Old Scotch
Cemetery. Their children were (all born in Barbour County): Daniel about
1855; John D. about 1858; Norman Whitfield about 1860; Malcom J. about 1866;
Catherine about 1875.

Duncan McGilvray was born in NC about 1814 and died after 1880. In 1836, he
entered land near the Henry/Barbour County line. He was administrator to the
estate of John McGilvray in 1857 and James McGilvray, Sr., in 1863. In 1850,
he was head of the household which consisted of his mother, Mary, and the
following children: John about 1816 in NC, died after 1880; Daniel about 1818
in NC, died between 1860 & 1870; Malcom about 1820 in NC, died between 1860 &
1870. No records showing any of these children married.

___________
In March 1848, Martin McGilvery deeded his share of the estate of John
McGilvery to Mrs. Janet McGilvery. The land described in this deed was
patented to John McGilvery in 1835. Inthe deed, he mentioned a brother
Alexander. Mrs. Janet McGilvery was b. ca.1786 in Scotland and died aboutt
March 1856. She deeded her entire estate to Roderick C.Chisholm and his
sister Janet.

Notes for SARA BLUE:
There are numerous members of a Blue family or families buried in Bullock
County, several in Union Springs and at Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery
at Scotland. It appears the oldest one is a Daniel Blue from Rutherford
County, North Carolina.

Blue men who served in the Civil War

E. A. Blue: Company G, 1st Ala. Inf Rgt/Lt Co B, 53d AL Cav Rgt; d. Feb.
1899; m. twice, one was Olivia; buried Union Springs

Patrick Blue: Sgt, Co B, 53d Ala. Cav Rgt/Asst. Surgeon, Hannon's Bde, AL
Cav; Feb 22, 1834-September 26, 1906; m. Sarah A. Boyd, b. 1844; buried Union
Springs

Daniel A. J. Blue: Pvt, Co G, 1st Ala. Cav Rgt; October 24, 1838-October 21,
1921; m. (1) Sarah M. McGrady, 1844-1870, (2) Rebecca McGrady, 1847-1877, (3)
Carolina W. Grubbs, 1853-1934; buried Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery

John B. Blue: Pvt, Co B, 23d Ala. Inf Rgt; June 1, 1834-August 9, 1880;
buried Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery

P. Mc C. Blue: Pvt, Co B, 53d Ala. Cav Rgt; June 1, 1834-September 10, 1867;
buried Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery

Source: Homer Jones @ -- a Civil War burial site
locator for Barbour County, Pike County and Bullock County, Alabama. He is
from Dale County, Alabama.

******
1838 - TAXABLES IN CAPTAIN MILTON McINTOSH’S BEAT, Richmond Co.,NC
Alphabetical list taken by D. McLaurin July 1838

Mrs. Jane McGilvray
275
Gum Swamp

******
Daniel Blue, Sr.'s Will

Written July 21 1842

Probated October 1844

In the name of God Amen -

I Daniel Blue of the County of Richmond and State of North Carolina being of
Sound Mind and Memory calling to mind the certaintainty of death and the
uncertentainty of its approach, having in mind the arrangements of my
temporal affairs, do publish and declare the following on my last will and
testament in manne and form as follows (toloct?)

Item first. I Will and Bequeath to my son Malcolm Blue all my Negroe Slaves
male and female and their increase, all my real Estate on each Side of
Drowning Creek being the following tracts the McIntyre plantation I purchased
of Lauchlen Bethune and the plantation I purchased from Daniel Blue my Son
and all the Land which I own on the South Side of Drowning Creek including
the (Modedy?) and where I now live which I purchased of John B. Graham, all
My Stock of Horses and Mules, Cattle, Hogs and Sheep My household and kitchen
furniture and farming utensils all the Money on hand at my death and all the
Debts then due me by Bonds notes on open accounts upon the conditions that he
Suport and maintain his mother Catherine Blue as long as She lives, Suport
and maintain My Daughter Christian as long as She lives a Single woman and no
longer, and pay the following Legacies hereinafter except the one given to my
wife Catherine now paid her:

Item Second I Will and Bequeath to my wife Catherine Eight Hundred Dollars
which Sum I have this day given her for her Sole and Separate use in payment
for this Legacy and hereby discharge My Son Malcolm from the payment of the
Same.

Item Third I Will and Bequeath to my Daughter Christian Eight Hundred Dollars
to be paid her out of my Estate by my Executor hereinafter named.

Item fourth I will and Bequeath to my Son John Blue fifteen hundred Dollars
to be paid by my Executor

Item fifth I will and Bequeath to my Son Daniel Blue fifteen huhdred Dollars
to be paid by my Executor

Item sixth. I will and Bequeath to my Executor hereinafter named In Trust for
my Son Archibald's children fourteen hundred Dollars to be expended for the
Suport and Maintenance of Said Archibald Blue's children Share and Share
alike as in his descretion theire need May require.

Item seventh I will and Bequeath to my Daughter Mary McGugan Wife of John
McGugan one dollar having already given her and husband their Share or
portion of My Estate.

Item eighth I will and Bequeath to My daughter Isabella McGugan wife of
DuncanMcGugan Eight hundred Dollars to be paid her by my Executor hereinafter
named.

Item ninth I give and Bequeath to each of My Daughter Sarah McGilvary's
Children who may arrive at the age of twenty-one years the sum of One hundred
Dollars each to be paid them by my Executor hereinafter named.

Item tenth I leave in the hands of my executor hereinafter to be named Eight
Hundred Dollars to be by him applied according to his discretion and
necessarily may require to the use and benefit of My daughter Flora McFarlan
and Should be My Executor deem it advisable So to do he may lay on the Whole
or any part of that Amount in the purchase of Land for the use of My Said
Daughter Flora Which Land if this purchase Shall Vest at her death in the
heirs of her body if any, then living But if not that Said Land Belong to her
next of Kin and Share alike and my Executor to take title the land
Accordingly.

I hereby nominate and appoint my son Malcolm Blue Executor of this my last
will and testament hereby revoking and and annuling all other wills and
testaments heretofore Made and published by me ratifying and confirming this
as my last will and Testament in Testimony Whereof I have unto Let my hand
and Seal this the 21st day of July 1842.

his

Signed Sealed Daniel X
Blue SEAL

Published and declared mark

In the presence of

(signed) James McDonald

(signed) Alexander McDonald

State of North Carolina Superior Court of Law

Richmond County Fall Term 1844

Then the execution of the foregoing Last Will and Testament of Daniel Blue
was duly proven in open court by the oath of James McDonald and Alexander
McDonald, the subscribing witnesses thereto.

Certified by

James P. Leak c/c

Sept. 27 1844

State of North Carolina Court of Alear
Dunster Ipion

Richmond County October Term 1844

Then Malcolm Blue appeared in open court and was duly qualified as Executor
to the foregoing will ordered to be Recorded.

G. A. Nicholson clerk

Children of MARTIN MCGILVRAY and SARA BLUE are:
2. i. DANIEL2 MCGILVRAY, b. May 21, 1829, NC; d. February 20, 1864,
Atlanta, Cobb Co., GA.
ii. ELIZABETH MCGILVRAY, b. Abt. 1831, NC.
iii. CATHERINE MCGILVRAY, b. Abt. 1832, NC.

Children of MARTIN MCGILVRAY and SARAH GILLIS are:
iv. ANGUS2 MCGILVRAY, b. Abt. 1838; d. July 02, 1864, the Civil War.

Notes for ANGUS MCGILVRAY:
A. McGilvary, Private, Company D, 15th Alabama Infantry Regiment -- killed by
a sharpshooter at Petersburg, Virginia July 2, 1864; he was about 25 and a
farmer from Clayton, Alabama.

Source: Homer Jones @ -- a Civil War burial site
locator for Barbour County, Pike County and Bullock County, Alabama. He is
from Dale County, Alabama.

v. FLORA MCGILVRAY, b. Abt. 1840.
vi. WILLIAM ALEXANDER MCGILVRAY, b. Abt. 1841; d. January 07, 1862, the
Civil War.

Notes for WILLIAM ALEXANDER MCGILVRAY:
W. A. McGilvary, Private, Company D, 15th Alabama Infantry Regiment -- died
of disease at Warrenton, Virginia January 7, 1862; he was about 22 and a
farmer from Clayton, Alabama.

It is presumed this person is William McGilvray, son of Martin.

Source: Homer Jones @ -- a Civil War burial site
locator for Barbour County, Pike County and Bullock County, Alabama. He is
from Dale County, Alabama.

vii. JOHN W. MCGILVRAY, b. December 13, 1845, Barbour Co., AL; d.
November 05, 1921, Pike Co., AL.

Notes for JOHN W. MCGILVRAY:
This John W. McGilvary was a boy soldier, Private, Company B and D, 4th
Battalion, Alabama Cavalry and later Private, Company I, Jeff Davis Legion.
He was originally from Barbour, County, but buried in Pike. (December 13,
1845-November 5, 1921) He married Mary Ann Norton January 6, 1867.

There is also a John M. McGilvary, Private, Lovard Lee's Company, Alabama
Volunteers, age 17. (Presumed to be John W.)

Source: Homer Jones @ -- a Civil War burial site
locator for Barbour County, Pike County and Bullock County, Alabama. He is
from Dale County, Alabama.

viii. NEILL MCGILVRAY, b. January 19, 1847; d. December 19, 1945.
ix. MARTIN MCGILVRAY, b. Abt. 1850.

This thread: