ALBULLOC-L Archives

Archiver > ALBULLOC > 2007-01 > 1168637285

From: "" <>
Subject: [ALBULLOC] Oak Hill cemetery/ Union Spring,AL/Wm. H Waugh/H. H. Smith/Presbyterian church
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:28:05 -0000

Surnames: SMITH
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.alabama.counties.bullock/1066/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

----- Original Message ----- From:
Subject: [ALBULLOC] cemeteries in Union Springs
I've just discovered that the William H Waugh that I am researching was one of the charter members of Union Springs Presbyterian church in 1853. William died between 1860 and 1870. The family was still in Union Springs in 1870 so
William likely was buried there. Can anyone tell me what cemetery he would likely have been buried in. Joanna Waugh

There is a possibility that William H Waugh will be buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery, Union Springs, AL.,
[http://www.rootsweb.com/~albarbou/Cemeteries/oakhill.htm], as is HENRY HYER SMITH, who was also a charter member of the Presbyterian Church.
Separately, I can send you the history of the Union Springs Presbyterian church from the "Heritage of Bullock County".
I have many articles on the history of Union Springs and the Presbyterian church. I am including 3 of them that refer to William H Waugh.

1.) Early Settlers of Union Springs
'The Union Springs Herald' Written by J. H. Eley:
"Between the years 1837 and 1848, the following men became residents of Union Springs, and were men of character, intelligence, and fine business ability, and were instrumental in having the town incorporated: Dr. Ben
Coleman, H. H. Smith (editor of the first newspaper, The Home Journal), W. H. Waugh and E. W. Toney (merchants), J. A. Jones, Francis Rutherford, Abednego McGuinty, John Graves, Cicero Broom, Tom Ellis (teacher of female
school), W. K Briars, William Todd, William Moragne, Dave Farrior, Virgil Tillery, Dr. W. S. Mabson, and Thomas Dozier. My father, Rev. M. N. Eley, was the first or second Intendent, as they then called that official, or Mayor... The southern and southeastern part of Union Springs was owned by my father from 1840 to 1850, and was his farm (description provided)".

2.) Union Springs Incorporated
On the 13th day of January 1844, Gov. Fitzpatrick signed the bill which gave Union Springs a corporate existence. On the 13 the day of March, following,
William H. Waugh, the first Intendant, and James A. Jones, August C. Hawkins, John B. Coleman, J. T. Coxe, Micajah N. Eley, Cicero Broome and M. D. Farris, Councilmen, were sworn into the office by H. H. Smith, justice of the peace.
The original oath of office has the signatures of all of the above named parties.

3.) The Organization and the Charter Members Submitted by Evelyn Leslie

On July 23, 1853, a Committee appointed by the Presbytery of East Alabama met at Union Springs for the purpose of organizing a Presbyterian Church.
This committee was composed of Rev. T. Root, Rev. C. L. R. Boyd, and A. McMillan.

These men with a group of other persons interested in organizing a Presbyterian Church, met at the Female Academy. Rev. Root acted as chairman, and a church was organized with an enrollment of 19 charter members.

The following persons presented certificates of membership and dismissal from other churches which were found to be in due form and duly certified:

John Leslie and his wife, Mrs. Jane Leslie
William H. Waugh and his wife, Mrs. Mathilda T. Waugh
Miss Elvira K. Waugh
Norman C. McLeod
Mrs. Catherine McLeod
Mrs. Virginia Foster
Allen McCaskill
Mrs. Nancy McCaskill
Oliver Danforth
Alexander Bethune
Roderick Bethune
A. R. McDonald
J. C. McSween
Mrs. Mary McDonald
Mrs. Mary B. Pearce
H. H. Smith

The following persons were received upon examination:
W. B. McKimmins and his wife, Mrs. A. S. McKimmins
Hon. E. A. Pearce and his wife, Mrs. E. A. Pearce
W. K. Briers

Most of those presenting letters came from the Bethel Presbyterian Church located ten miles south of Union Springs -- a church which may well be called the mother church of Presbyterianism in Bullock County.

In the records we find that after this organization meeting, they adjourned to meet in the Baptist Church the following morning, July 24th, at 11 o'clock. At that hour a sermon was preached and the persons above named were solemnly set apart by prayer, and constituted a district Presbyterian Church
to be called "The Union Springs Presbyterian Church." The Church so constituted and organized then proceeded to elect A. R. McDonald and Wm. K. Briers to the office of Ruling Elder and E. A. Pearce and John Leslie
to the office of Deacon. These men were then ordained and installed in the respective offices in due form. The service closed with the celebration of the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper. The Fall Minutes of the Presbytery
of East Alabama, 1853, contains this record:

"The Committee appointed to organize a Presbyterian Church at Union Springs, Alabama, made their report to the Presbytery of East Alabama in Session at Wetumpka, October, 1853, which was received and adopted, and is as follows:

"Your Committee would respectfully report to Presbytery that they met at Union Springs by previous appointment on July 23 and on July 24, 1853, and proceeded to organize by solemn consecration to God and prayer a Presbyterian Church at that place, to be called the Presbyterian Church of Union Springs, consisting of 27 members, two Elders and two Deacons.
Your committee would recommend that the name of this church be enrolled upon the Minutes and the Church received under the care of the Presbytery."

This report was signed by Rev. T. Root, Rev. C. L. R. Boyd, and A. McMillan.
I am currently researching HENRY HYER SMITH .He built the
Smith-lkenberry-Hobby House (1842-43), 201 Chunnenuggee
Ave. "One story Greek Revival style. Built by H. H. Smith, one of the most prominent pioneers of Union Springs." Henry was the editor of the first newspaper, 'The Home Journal'.

The Sesquicentennial Special Edition - Historical Union Springs, Alabama" contains an article about the first "intendents" and mayors of Union Springs. The following is a paragraph from that article:
"Henry H. Smith was elected intendent in 1855 for three years. He was again elected in 1861 for six terms. Mr. Smith was a cabinet maker,journalist, Editor and a school teacher. He also served as a Justice of the Peace, a Notary, and during the Civil War he was a postmaster. He was born in 1807 in Vermont [came south in 1834] and died in Union Springs in 1885.
According to the Union Springs Herald and Times of 29 July 1885, Mr. Smith was "During his residency in Union Springs of nearly 50 years, identified with every enterprise which tended to promote the prosperity of the town -- socially, commercially, and religiously. He was an original member of the Presbyterian Church and a Charter member of St. John's Lodge."
Henry's younger son, William Hooker Smith, married Molly Lavinia Gachet, daughter of JAMES EDWARD GACHET and Lavina Harrison Jones Gachet who are buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery, Union Springs, as is Henry and other
family members.
The author, CARSON SMITH McCULLER, is a descendent of HENRY HYER SMITH.

Hope that you and others find this information to be of great interest. I would like to correspond with anyone interested in the history of Union Springs and its settlers.
Eugenia Hobday
http://www.unionspringsalabama.com/

This thread: