ALCHEROK-L Archives

Archiver > ALCHEROK > 2006-02 > 1139971740

Subject: Re: George William Payne - Cherokee, AL.?
Date: 14 Feb 2006 19:49:00 -0700

Surnames: Hawkins, Kelly, Looper, Caddell, Castleberry, Clark, Tidmore, Sims/Simms/Symes, Hartsfield, Howard
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/GS.2ADI/1244.1

Message Board Post:

Do not know if this helps, but I have run into a John Payne in Cherokee Co., AL deed. Perhaps you can help me connect the dots.

RAINES – HAWKINS DIVISION OF PROPERTY

This Indenture made and entered into between J. J. RAINS and his wife Susan T. RAINS of the county of Etowah and the state of Alabama and W. J. HAWKINS and his wife Rebecca L. HAWKINS of said county and state witnesseth that whereas the aforesaid RAINS and his wife with HAWKINS and his wife purchased of John PAYNE in his life time the following described lands lying in said county and state to wit: Fractions A and B in fractional Section thirteen Township eleven Range seven and also the North West ¼ of the north west fourth of Section eighteen Township eleven Range eight East in Coosa land district subject to sale in Lebanon Alabama and that said parties are joint owning of said land and whereas the said parties have agreed upon a division of said land have established the following as metes and bounds for said division commencing at the North West corner of said Fractions A & B on the bank of Coosa River and adjoining the lands of N. M. THORNTON and J. B. HALL deceas!
ed at small Linn tree and hence running east along said line separating the land of HALL and said PAYNE deceased. Seventy-six feet to the starting point between a small Peach tree and Mulberry tree hence running in a straight line down the Coosa River to the distance of ninety-nine rods and thirteen -thirty-three-thirds of a rod to the division lines established between said lands to run hence in an Easterly direction to the East boundary line of said Fractions A & B and to the Township line between eleven Range Seven and Township eleven Range eight in said county so as to intersect said Township line at the distance of thirty three rods and twenty-seven-thirds of a rod from a certain Green tree standing in the North East corner of said Fractions A & B and also the North East corner of Fractional Section thirteen Township eleven Range seven in said county. Hence running from said intersection of said Township line in an Easterly direction so as to intersect the boundary l!
ine of the North West fourth of the North West fourth of Section eight
een Township eleven of Range eight as the distance of five rods and nineteen-thirty-thirds of a rod from the North East corner of said forty acres of land. That it is agreed by the parties to this indenture that the said HAWKINS and his wife have all the land lying North of said line as his and her separate property and that the said RAINS and his wife have all the lands lying South of said line as his or her separate property. All of which is hereby agreed to as witness and hand. Seals the day and year as hereinafter witness. This March 12th 1875.

Witness:

John Wagner
W. L. Wagner

Seal:

J. J. RAINS
Susan RAINS
W. J. HAWKINS
Rebecca L. HAWKINS

Josiah RAINS 25 b. GA 1860 Census Cherokee Co., AL, Div 1, p. 246. Same page 5 houses apart from Samuel S. KELLY and Eliza HAWKINS KELLY. With wife Susannah RAINS 25 b. SC.
Found on Ancestry.com in family tree Josiah Johnston RAINS m. Susanna PAYNE.
Josiah PAYNE b. 3 Feb 1833 GA
d. 23 Oct 1902, Etowah Co., AL
burial: Union #3 Baptist Church Cemetery, Ball Play, Etowah Co., AL (same as Samuel S. KELLY).

On genforum posting #1398. :I'm looking for more information about Susanna Taewsanak PAYNE and her family. Her parents were John Payne and Frances Hall Payne. She married Josiah Johnson Rains (1833-1902) in 1857. They were both buried in Etowah Co. (then Cherokee Co.) AL at Union #3 Baptist Church Cemetary in Ball Play”.

On genforum posting #6367 :My grandmother was Ruby LouElla Payne-Colvin.She was the dau. of George Robert Marion Payne and Millir Augusta Huff-Payne.She told me they called her father "Bud", and that his father's name was also George Robert Marion Payne and that his wife's name was "Mary".They were from the Marietta,GA area. She told me that her grandfather George Robert Marion Payne(Sr.) was 1/2 Cherokee and 1/2 Black Dutch. She was very proud of her ancestory,and was a very good historian, with dates of births,marriages,deaths all in a family bible.She told me that her granfather had died in 1904,after being in an accident at a "syrup mill".This has to be the same family.Any further information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Rita

This thread: