ALCLARKE-L Archives

Archiver > ALCLARKE > 1998-09 > 0904683434

From: "Brundage, Don M." <>
Subject: RE: MATHESON & DARRINGTON in Clarke Co., AL
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 15:57:14 -0500

Ray Revette wrote:
> William MATHESON

> Looking for any history of this Clarke Co., AL family. B.
abt 1782 in
> Scotland, m. Marie Darrington (probably in/from Clarke Co.,
AL)
> and had four children. D. abt 1836 in Clarke Co., AL.

I don't have anything on the Matheson family, but the T. H. Ball
Clarke County book lists the following for the Darrington's, on page
468-469:

JOHN DARRINGTON was probably the wealthiest man for a time, in
the county of Clarke. He was not an early resident. He came to the
county with about three hundred and fifty colored people, then, of
course slaves. He occupied a large plantation near the Alabama river
and near Gainestown. He was nearly related to the James family.
Although not in official, political life, Colonel Darrington was a man
of much influence in politics. He owned at one time the Cedar Creek
plantation and kept thorough-bred colts there in 1836. He died about
1857. Alexander Carleton was the administrator of his estate, which
then comprised about seven thousand acres of land, one hundred and fifty
negroes, and some fine horses.

SAMUEL JAMES, whose wife was Miss Mary Darrington, came to
Clarke County in 1818. Their former home was Kershaw district, South
Carolina, where their son, Lorenzo James, was born in 1805......
(continues on)

Don Brundage

This thread: