ALDALLAS-L Archives

Archiver > ALDALLAS > 1999-03 > 0922120388

From: <>
Subject: [ALDALLAS-L] ROLL CALL: Armstrong, Woods, Kennedy, McGough, McGee
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:33:08 EST

I work on a configuration of families in Dallas County, some of whom arrived
there ca 1817-1818 from Christian County, Kentucky, led by Thomas Woods,
Robert McGough, Joseph McGee and James Harrison Armstrong. They settled north
of Selma, in a region extending from Valley Creek (Summerfield) to
Plantersville.

Thomas Woods (aa Revolutionary War soldier) and his wife Lorena Byers Woods
are buried in the Mount Pleasant Cemetery, in an enclosed iron fence within
the cemetery. I think they were members of the church there. Their sons
(William Byers, Cyrus, Joseph, Thomas Jr, Edward, Andrew) and daughters
(Elizabeth, Cynthia) married into neighboring families, including Reed (Reid),
Alexander, Lee, Morrison, etc.

Robert and Agnes McWhorter McGough are also buried at Mount Pleasant. Their
children (John, James, Robert, Mary, Agnes, Elizabeth (Betsey), married into
neighboring families, including Armstrong, Johnson, McGee, Brooks, etc.

The children of James Harrison/Mary McGough Armstrong (Robert McGough, Rezin
Lawrence, Mary Randolph Harrison, Thomas Alexander, James Crittenden, William
Hamilton) married into the Kennedy, McGee, Woods families, etc.

The seven daughters of Joseph McGee/Elizabeth (Betsey) McGough McGee married
into the Woods, Armstrong, Craig, Bradberry, Adams, Martin families.

There are many connections to the
Alexander/Callen/Woods/Gilmer/Russell/Morrison families buried at Valley Creek
Cemetery.

In a large family caravan many of these folks left Dallas County in October
1847, headed for Louisiana, settling near Pisgah/Pleasant Hill.. Some of them
then (later) migrated to Washington County, Texas, near Brenham. Many of
the Woods and McGough/McGee families remained in Dallas County.

I'm glad to share information. Hello, Suzanne Coats! I appreciate your
sharing of Craig information with me. Your generosity came through loud and
clear via the Internet. Thanks.

Robert E. (Bob) Parrott, Knoxville, TN, a direct descendant of many of the
families mentioned above, especially Woods, Armstrong, McGough, including
those who made the great trek to Louisiaia in 1847.

This thread: