ALEXANDER-L Archives

Archiver > ALEXANDER > 2000-05 > 0958619038

From: Olive Ruth Alexander <>
Subject: Re: [ALEXANDER-L] Alexander Genealogy
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 22:03:58 -0500

Gail, I am posting this on the list and hope that it will help someone.

HISTORY OFF OLD TRYON AND RUTHERFORD COUNTIES, NORTH CAROLINA 1730-1936
By Clarence W. Griffin, Asheville, NC: The Miller Printing Company, 1937

Page 170:

Senator Elias Alexander, III, was a son of Elias Alexander, II, who was born
in Maryland in 1746. Elias Alexander, I, lived in Maryland and died there in
1747. His wife was Ann Taylor, who died in Mecklenburg Co., NC, in 1800.
Elias Alexander, II, was a son of this couple. He migrated to Mecklenburg Co.
with other Alexanders, and settled in the Sugaw Creek settlement, a few miles
north of Charlotte. Elias, II, later removed to Rutherford Co., and was a
valiant soldier in the Revolution, participating in the battles at Kings
Mountain and Guilford Court House. His wife, Agnes (McCall) Alexander, died in
Rutherford Co. in 1826 and Col. Elias Alexander died May 13, 1818. They had
eleven children: (1) Francis Alexander (1778-1852), many years county surveyor
of Rutherford Co. His daughter, Jane McBee, married Francis S. Coxe of
Philadelphia, April 24, 1823. They were the parents of the late Frank Coxe of
Asheville. Margaret Rebecca, another daughter of Francis Alexander, married
Rev. Campbell Smith of the South Carolina Methodist Conference. A son, Ross
Alexander, Jr., married Charlotte Hill and they were parents of the late J. F.
Alexander, Forest City lumberman, businessman, textile manufaccturer and
Assemblyman, and Hon. A. C. Alexander, of Georgia. (2) Major Ross Alexander,
Sr., son of Elias, II, was thrown from a mule and killed July 6, 1849, near
Hazelhurst Farm, three miles south of Forest City. (3) Anna married Stephen
Camp. (4) Jane married Verdry McBee, of Lincolnton. (5) Margaret married
Col. David Reinhardt. (6) Patsy Blanton married Jacob Fisher. (7) William
Alexander died 1821. (8) Elias Alexander, III, son of Elias, II, was State
Sentor in 1832. He was living in Greenville, SC, in 1875. (9) James Taylor
Alexander. (10 and 11) Thomas and Alston Alexander both died young.

Page 375:

Jacob F. Alexander was born January 11, 1859, near Forest City, a son of
Major Ross and Charlotte (Hill) Alexander.

Olive Alexander