ALLAMAR-L Archives

Archiver > ALLAMAR > 2012-04 > 1334421176

From: Cindy Smith <>
Subject: [ALLAMAR] Wheeler Co. D 26th ALA
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:32:56 -0400

Joe and Linda, I have those CSA records, but I think that Jesse Jones Wheeler b. 10 Jan 1822, Spartanburg, SC, is the one who served in that company. The record is in the name J.J. Wheeler. December 7, 1861, Tuscumbia, Fayette Co., AL, J.J. Wheeler enlisted as a private in the 26th (O'Neal's) Alabama Infantry, Company D. On October 8, 1862 he was placed on a 60 day furlough due to pneumonia and anasarca (extreme edema). On March 31, 1863, he was transferred from Receiving and Wayside Hospital # 9 to Chimbarazo Hospital, Richmond, Virginia, due to diabiles. Transferred to Huguenot Springs Hospital on April 13.

The 26th Infantry Regiment was formed at Tuscumbia, Alabama, in December, 1861, using the seven company 3rd Alabama Infantry Battalion as its nucleus. The men were from Walker, Winston, Tuscaloosa, Marion, and Fayette counties. Two companies under Major J.S. Garvin were soon ordered to Fort Donelson and captured in that fight on February 16, 1862. After being exchanged, they joined the regiment in Virginia. It was placed in General Rains' Brigade at Yorktown, then was assigned to Rodes', O'Neal's, and Battle's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. The 26th was active in many conflicts of the army from Williamsburg to Mine Run. Later it moved to Camp Sumter, Georgia, and for a time guarded prisoners. During the spring of 1864, the unit was attached to Cantey's Brigade and fought with the Army of Tennessee from Atlanta to Bentonville. This unit totaled 283 men in April, 1862, and reported 32 casualties at Gaines' Mill and 86 at Malvern Hill. It lost 116 at Chancellorsville, and of the 319 engaged at Gettysburg, forty-one percent were disabled. The regiment was badly cut up at Nashville and a very small group surrendered in April, 1865. Its commanders were Colonel Edward A. O'Neal; Lieutenant Colonels John S. Gavin, William H. Hunt, and William C. Reeder; and Majors David F. Bryan, and R.D. Redden. (National Park Service, Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System) He was present on the rolls at Andersonville, Georgia, 26 April 1864. He served until the close of the war Cindy Smith