ALLEN-L Archives

Archiver > ALLEN > 2006-09 > 1159136653

From: "Barbara Evans" <>
Subject: Re: [ALLEN] Cost of DNA Testing.
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:24:13 -0700

Hello, This line has not been proven, except for the last few generations
after Samuel. There is a George W. Allen b. 1814. Are we related? We have
no direct descendants. (My program is acting up!?)

Barb Couts Evans

Ancestors of John Allen

Generation No. 1

1. John Allen, born 03 Aug 1694 in Sussex, Ireland; died 1771 in London
Grove Mm, Chester County, Pennsylvania. He was the son of 2. Thomas ? or
John? Allen. He married (1) Amy Emey Cox Mar 1718/19 in Chester County,
Pennsylvania. She was born 1698 in England?, and died 13 Sep 1778 in London
Grove, Chester County, Pennsylvania. She was the daughter of John Cox and
Rachel Embree Duskin Carr.

Notes for John Allen:

Ship Elizabeth & Ann

Capt Edward Tafford

bound for Virginia and Jamaica from Liverpool England 28 July 1716

The Following 83 were not Indentured

Thomas Allen

Generation No. 2

2. Thomas ? or John? Allen

Notes for Thomas ? or John? Allen:

The Elizabeth & Anne was being used in the slave trade at the time of the
1715 Jacobite rebellion. It's merchant owners thought they might be more
highly rewarded by handling the "transport" of prisoners for the King. The
arrangement was to take the prisoners on consignment and receive payment
when a receipt for their delivery was presented to His Majesty's Court in
London.

Liverpool, England to Yorktown, Virginia

Virginia-

By his Majestys' Lieutenant Governor & Commander in Cheif of this

Dominion-

These are to certify that the above Lift of one hundred & Twelve

Rebel Prisoners, Imported into this Colony in the Ship Elizabeth & Ann,

of Liverpool, Edward Trafford Master, was taken (by my order) upon the

arrival of the faid Ship in York River by the officer of the Customs

there, and contains the Names of all the Prifoners Imported in the sd

ship & that besides the said one hundres & twelve persons, the Mafter

did Report that one other Prisoner by name Duncan Mackfale died at sea,

which upon Examination of the other Prisoners apeared to be true-

Given under my hand at Williamsburgh this 14th day of January 1716-

*List of rebel prifoners imported by Capt Edwd Trafford, in the Elizabeth &
Anne from Liverpole:

THE FOLLOWING 29 ARE UNDER INDENTURES

John Macintosh Thos Foster George Dickenson

Jno: Mackintosh Christr Carus Archd Menzies

James Macintosh James Blackwood Danl: Thompson

Duncan Clark Robt Stewart Jno: Robertson

Owen McPherson Robt Stewart Jno: Stewart

Donald Shaw Willm Turner Malcom Stewart

Angus Shaw James Nisbet Jno Stewart

Robt Bruce Fergus Graham Jno Stewart

John Dunbar James Mackintosh Jno Kennedy

Rob Smith Francis Hume

THE FOLLOWING EIGHTY THREE NOT INDENTED

Jno: Wite Alexr Wite Thos Allen

Willm Mackilway Owen Davidson Alexr Watt

Alex: Mackenzie Malcolm Macknaughtan James Wood

Willm Donaldson Willm Martin

Frances Betty James Robertson Donald Mackgilsoray

Frederick Abbot David Mitchel Danl Macquin

Alexr Bruce Silvester Prophet Willm Wright

Robt Capland Jno: Glendening Jno: Pitello

Jno: Peter Geo: Marjoribanks Patrick Ferguson

Jno: Jhonston Jno: Harris Jno: Finny

James Malcum Adam Chisolm Alexr Ferguson

William Stroak Wm Finlay James Ferguson

Jno: Michy James Paterson James Mckintosh

Lawrence Ferguson David Arnot Willm Mackruther

Jno: Donaldson James Peter David Mackintosh

Wm Noble Jno: Ogilvy Alexr Kerr *

Robt Grant James Watson Robt Menzies

Robt Anderson Alexr Kid James Urqhuart

Robt Duncan James Lindsey Jno: Brown

James Ray James Johnson Geo: Lowder

Robt Robertson Jno Shaw James Murray

Jno: Mundell Jno: Abercromby Wm Lyon

Hugh Cane Robt Stewart Jno: Burns

Charles Henderson Pat Stewart Alexr Carr

Alexander Stewart Jno: Stewart Jno: Mackintosh

Donald Stewart Willm Cruster Willm Dun

Alexr Stewart Jno: Rutherford Robt Carr__

James Stewart James Watson

Willm Maxwell

*These prisoners were probably some of the followers of the Pretender

captured at Preston, and condemned to be transported to the Colony in

Virginia, after having been carried to London for trial.

SOURCE: CALENDAR OF VIRGINIA STATE PAPERS 1652-1781 Vol I, pages 185,186

Formatter's notes:

The Captain's sworn statement originally appeared following the list of

prisoners.

This document is typed as written. Words were spelled as they appear

here. The letter 's' is sometimes written as 'f', as was common

in colonial times. I replaced the 'f', or 'long s' with the letter 's' in

surnames.

________________

Additional information was published about these prisoners in the "Calendar
of

Virginia State Papers" and in "Scottish Notes and Queries"

_______________

Alexander Kerr - William R. Williams, the contributor of this list is a

possible descendant of Alexander Kerr. The following is a letter which sets

forth information regarding his research.

I have been trying for several years to confirm some commonly accepted

information regarding Alexander Kerr, Jacobite prisoner captured at Preston

in 1715; convicted at Chester of high treason; accepted "transport" rather

than hanging until not dead etc.; was taken onboard the ship Elizabeth and
Anne,

Master, Edward Trafford at Liverpool and was signed for "By his Majestys's

Lieutenant Governor & Commander in Chief of this Dominion" at York,
Virginia,

January 14, 1716. Alexander was the son of Archibald Kerr of Graden.

Alexander was trained as a silversmith before his capture and became a nabob

of Williamsburg owning a house across the street from the Capital building.

Alexander bought the house from the estate of a fellow prisoner transported

on the same voyage of the Elizabeth and Anne, Dr. John Brown, a surgeon from

Coldstream.

Alexander and his brother Henry were sons of Archibald Ker(r) of Graden and

Helenor St. Clair, daughter of Sir James St. Clair of Roslin. The boys'

father died when they were still young children. Their mother raised them

as Roman Catholics. Henry, the eldest, may or may not have participated in

the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion. However, Henry was not captured as a Jacobite

until the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion near Forfar, Scotland. Henry pleaded he

was taken as an officer of the Spanish Army, which he was and had been for

23 years. Henry was sentenced to "transport" and died a Lieutenant-Colonel

in the Spanish Army at San Lucar, Spain on 22 December 1751.

It is alleged by several genealogists in the U. S. and Scotland that
Alexander

Kerr of Williamsburg, Virginia married Martha Elizabeth Rice, date and place

unknown. The marriage produced three children, Alexander Kerr, m. Elizabeth

Rice; John Kerr, m. Elizabeth Henderson and William Kerr. I know John Kerr

to be my ancestor and that his wife's name was Elizabeth Henderson and so
on.

I cannot confirm Alexander Kerr as the father of my John Kerr.

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation has spent considerable time and money

researching the lives of the owners of houses in colonial Williamsburg.

Alexander Kerr is one of the persons they have researched. It is the opinion

of the Colonial Williamsburg Research Library that Alexander Kerr never

married and had no children. I am unable to dispute their conclusion.

_______________

Correspondence 4/29/00:

If you are researching any of the Jacobite rebels, please note this

valuable research information submitted by Mr. Williams, the contributor

of this list:

The following is extracted from my files re the trial of the 1715

Jacobite rebels:

The record of the trial for the rebels captured at Preston is at the

Public Record Office, Kew, London. The lists and indictments of the

rebels of 1715 is identified as KB8/66. It is described as "Special

oyer and terminer rolls and files, including informations and

depositions", and is filed in two boxes. The box labelled "Part 1"

contains seven folders or bound manuscripts, of which the folios

have been numbered in a single series, ff. 1-132. The other is a

very long box because some of the documents are three or four feet

long. It contains Part 2 (ff. 133-201) and Part 3 (ff. 202-254).

Each folder bears the heading: "A list of ye Rebell Prisoners at

[place], showing their Christian Names and surnames the Parish and

county they dwelled In." {You may recall my alleged ancestor was

captured at Preston so the Preston folder was of most interest to

me. Too bad, my alleged ancestor was not in it. However, the

Chester folder, where the trial was held, had four surnamed Kerr

including my alleged ancestor.} {The prisoners were clearly tried

in groups except for the most prominent persons such as the Earl of

Derwentwater.} {These records are all written in Latin.}

I found a book published in 1895 by George Routledge and Sons,

Limited titled "Preston Fight or The Insurrection of 1715" to be

both informative and pleasant to read. Reviewers say this book is

historically correct. I got a copy via interlibrary loan.

Jacksonville University Library provided the copy I read.

Correspondence 10/20/01 passenger Noble

I believe I am a descendant of William Noble. My Noble ancesters settled

in Anson Co. and Montgomery Co., North Carolina.

Rhonda Jackson

Correspondence 1/24/02 passenger Arnot

I would like to find out more about a ship from Liverpool to Va? named

Elizabeth and Anne in 1716. David Arnett was bannished to Va from the

Jacobite Rebellion, 1716 He was born 1680. His father was? Robert

Arnott of Angus(Kirkcaldy).

My email is Barb Howard

Correspondence 09/22/02 passenger Wood

I am Probably a descendent of James Wood who was exiled to Va. My Wood

ancestors began in Va, Moved to S.C. and on to Texas/ Dewitt Colony. I

can use any information anyone has on the James Wood that was on the

Elizabeth & Anne. Max Wood

Correspondence 04/23/2003 passenger Bruce

My ancestor, Alexander Bruce, arrived in Yorktown, VA, aboard the

"Elizabeth and Anne", (Edward Trafford, Master) on 29 June, 1716, from

Liverpool. He was taken prisoner by the English at Preston during the

Jacobite rebellion of 1715.

Alexander's family ended up in Amelia County,VA, the area of which

became Nottoway County in 1789. The first mention of him is in Amelia

County in 1737. Probably this Alexander Bruce was a son of the original.

I would like any information about the original Alexander as to where

he lived in Scotland, what he did, etc. Bill Bruce

Correspondence 09/17/2003 passenger Prophet

Ancestor - Silvester Prophet arrived in Yorktown, VA 14 Jan 1716 on the

ship Elizabeth & Ann. I'm his 5th G-Grand daughter. He settled in

Goochland County, VA. Sylvester & wife Alice ? Pleasant(s) ? had 7

children: Lucy, Rev. John (my direct line), David, William, James,

Anne and Elizabeth. All the children were born and reared on the 300

acre Messuage Plantation that ran North of the St. James River. If

anyone knows anything about Owen Davidson on the same ship I would

love that information also. Fran Grindstaff

Correspondence 03/29/2004 passenger Burns

My ancestor John Burns was on this ship. His son, Laird Burns was born

in 1716 in Cumberland, and Laird's daughter Martha Burns married James

Boyd (of Scots-Irish descent), who is the gggg Grandfather of my

father's mother. James and his son John died in a Tory prison camp &

his son Samuel received a musket ball through the eye during a battle

of the Rev. War. He later married Isabella Higgins and they had 10

kids; they moved to Indiana.

Family history and information from the internet says that Martha

Burns was a "close relative of Robert Burns" but I have not yet found

any connection. If anyone is researching this John Burns please contact

Jean Birch, Denver, Colorado

Correspondence 06/22/2004 passenger Marjoribanks

Geo. Marjoribanks listed as a non-indentured [Jacobite] is our

immigrant ancestor. The website for Majoribanks/Marchbanks information

on this person can be found at:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/4730/george/george.html

Unknow connection maybe

Thomas ? AllenTo paraphrase information from that site, George was born in
Scotland

and captured in a Jacobite uprising, imprisoned and then deported to

the colonies.

In the colonies he met and married Ann Eckols, daughter of John and

Mary [Cave] Eckols. From this union there were eight children born

but only seven were named in George's will, The will of George

Marchbanks can be found in Will book No. 1, 1734-1761, page 11-12.

It was proved 21 Nov. 1740, page 12a.in the Parish of Raleigh in

Amelia County, Virginia. He left to his younger son Joseph: plantation

and two hundred and seventy five acres of land, to son George two

hundred seventy five acres of land next to Joseph, to son William two

hundred seventy five acres of land next to George, to daughter

Lucy Prisher one hundred acres of land, to daughter Ursula one hundred

acres of land and to daughter Sarah one hundred acres of land. Ann,

his beloved wife, and William Echols and Richard Echols were executors.

Witnessed by Hiz Ford, William Clemond, Jos. Collins Numerous court

records for George Marchbanks can be found in Goochland County,

Virginia between 1729 and 1737. By 1740 the records switch to Amelia

County, Virginia. Alice Sanders

Contributed by William R. Williams

for the

Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild

Child of Thomas ? or John? Allen is:

1 i. John Allen, born 03 Aug 1694 in Sussex, Ireland; died 1771 in London
Grove Mm, Chester County, Pennsylvania; married Amy Emey Cox Mar 1718/19 in
Chester County, Pennsylvania.

Descendants of John II Allen

1 John II Allen b: 1719 d: 1754 in London Grove Mm, Chester County,
Pennsylvania

.. +Phoebe Scarlet b: 04 Nov 1722 in Chester County, Pennsylvania d: Oct
1830 in Lawrence County, Indiana m: 1750 in New Garden, Chester County,
Pennsylvania

2 Samuel Allen b: 21 Oct 1751 in Pendelton County, South Carolina d: 14 Jun
1834 in Randolph County, North Carolina

... +Hannah Cox b: Abt. 1751 d: 1823 m: 17 Dec 1775 in Holly Springs Mm,
Guilford County, North Carolina

. 3 Hannah Allen

..... +John Carpenter b: in Clairborne County, Tennessee m: in Clairborne
County, Tennessee

. 3 James Allen b: Abt. 1775 in Grainger County, Tennessee Washington County
NC

..... +Frances b: Abt. 1775 m: Abt. 1790

.. 4 John Allen b: Abt. 1792

. 3 Amy Emy Allen

. 3 Jane Allen

. 3 William Allen

. 3 John Allen

..... +Rachael

. 3 Hannah Allen

. 3 Phebe Allen

. 3 Rebekkah Allen

. 3 Mary O. Allen

. 3 Ann Allen

2 Hannah Allen

2 John Allen b: Abt. 1753

2 Amy Allen b: 18 Dec 1743 in Chester County, Pennsylvania

... +Herman Husband d: 1795

. 3 Mary Husband

. 3 Herman Husband

. 3 John Husband

..... +Sibelle Fruit

. 3 Emy Husband

..... +Evans Bennet

. 3 David Husband

..... +Elizabeth Kimmel

. 3 Isaac Toscape Husband

..... +Ann King

2 Ann Allen

2 Thomas Allen

Descendants of Andrew Allen

1 Andrew Allen b: Abt. 1795

.. +Elizabeth Epperson? b: 1795

2 [1] George W. Allen b: 1814

... +[2] Margaret

2 Jane Allen b: 1815

... +George F. Wolfe

2 [3] Walter Allen b: 1818

... +[4] Mary

2 Elizabeth Allen b: 1819

... +Nathaniel Wolfe m: 24 Dec 1840

2 James Allen b: 1823 in Hancock County, Tennessee

... +Lucinda Wolfe b: in Tennessee m: 04 Sep 1845

. 3 Purlina Allen b: 1846

. 3 Lucretia Allen b: 1851

. 3 McHenry Allen b: 1854

. 3 Peter Allen b: 1856

. 3 Hester Allen b: 27 Oct 1858

..... +James Mackey

. 3 Mary E. Allen b: 1865

. 3 Grant Allen b: 1869

. 3 Cordelia Allen b: 03 Jul 1872

..... +Frank Grider

2 Nancy Allen b: 1827

... +Greenberry Wolfe

2 John Andrew Sr. Allen b: 1832

... +Elizabeth b: in Tennessee

. 3 [37] Stephen Allen

. 3 [35] Thomas Allen

. 3 [36] William Allen

. 3 [1] George W. Allen b: 1814

..... +[2] Margaret

. 3 [3] Walter Allen b: 1818

..... +[4] Mary

. 3 [5] John Andrew Jr. Allen b: 1850 in Hancock County Tennessee d: in
Arkansas?

..... +[6] Emaline Emiline Medaline Madeline Drewey Drury d: Abt. 1887 in
Tennessee m: 04 Sep 1867 in Stewart, Tennessee

.. 4 [7] Martha Medaline (Mattie) Allen b: 16 Oct 1883 in Mulberry Grange,
Logan County, Arkansas - Ruby Says Tennessee d: 08 Jul 1963 in Marysville,
Yuba County, California

...... +[8] Thomas Marion Childers b: 29 Apr 1880 in Newton, Oklahoma April
13 1881 d: 25 Jan 1935 in Stigler, Haskell County, Oklahoma m: 19 Oct 1900
in Webbers Falls, Oklahoma (Indian Terr)

.... 5 [9] Arthur Childers b: 1901 d: 1902

.... 5 [10] Elmer Marion Childers b: 23 Jun 1906 in Dublin, Logan County,
Arkansas d: 1958 in Vallejo, California

........ +[11] Delia Pearson

.... 5 [12] Ruby Alberta (Ruby) Childers b: 02 Oct 1908 in Dublin, Arkansas
d: 31 May 1990 in Yuba City, Sutter County, California

........ +[13] Clarence Roy (Roy) Couts b: 10 Aug 1902 in Logtown Hill,
Crawford, Arkansas d: 13 May 1989 in Marysville, Yuba County, California m:
16 Sep 1925 in Stigler, Haskell County, Oklahoma

.... 5 [14] Arnold Walker Childers b: 09 Mar 1911 in Stigler, Haskell
County, Oklahoma d: 02 May 1962 in Shafter, California, Valhala Cemetery,
Shaftr

........ +[15] Floy Biggers m: 26 Jun 1939 in Bakersfield, Kern County,
California

.... *2nd Wife of [14] Arnold Walker Childers:

........ +[16] Syrena Mae Hazelwood b: 08 Mar 1920 in Kenta, Oklahoma d: in
Palmdale, California m: 26 Jun 1939 in Bakersfield, Kern County, California

.... 5 [17] Avis Childers b: 1912 in Haskell County, Oklahoma

.... 5 [18] Anna Wilba Childers b: 26 Oct 1913 in Stigler, Haskell County,
Oklahoma d: 15 Dec 1994 in Yuba City, California Sierra View Memorial Park
Marysville, Ca

........ +[19] Pete Fitzer

.... *2nd Husband of [18] Anna Wilba Childers:

........ +[20] Wilbur (Gib ) Strickland b: 18 Nov 1913 d: 04 Oct 1981 in
Salisaw, Oklahoma m: 18 Nov 1933

.... 5 [21] Jessie Mae Childers b: 11 May 1915 in Stigler, Rock Branch,
Haskell County, Oklahoma d: 04 Oct 1981 in Olivehurst, Yuba County,
California, Sierra View Cemetery

........ +[22] Woodrow Wilson Cariker b: 22 Jan 1914 in Hoyt, Haskell
County, Oklahoma d: 17 Dec 1981 in Olivehurst, Yuba County, California,
Sierra View Cemetery m: 22 Oct 1932 in Hoyt, Haskell County, Oklahoma

.... 5 [23] Iva Dot Childers b: 1918 in Tupilo, Haskell County, Oklahoma

.... 5 [24] Syble Rosetta Childers b: 16 Dec 1918 in Brooken, Haskell Co.
Oklahoma d: Dec 1984 in Marysville, Yuba County, California

........ +[25] Mobley

.... *2nd Husband of [24] Syble Rosetta Childers:

........ +[26] Frank Taylor

.... *3rd Husband of [24] Syble Rosetta Childers:

........ +[27] Mob Simpson

.... 5 [28] Ruth Oleta Childers b: 09 Nov 1922 in Haskell County, Oklahoma
d: 10 Jun 1979 in Marysville, Yuba County, California, Sierra View Cemetery

........ +[29] General Everett Hart b: in Colorado d: 1973 in Marysville,
Yuba County, California, Sierra View Cemetery

.... *2nd Husband of [28] Ruth Oleta Childers:

........ +[30] Roy F. Boyd

.... 5 [31] Freda Louise Childers b: 1925 in Haskell County, Oklahoma

........ +[32] Eugene Haven

.. 4 [33] Rosa Rosie Allen b: Abt. 1881 d: Abt. 1910 in Muldrow, Oklahoma

.. 4 [34] Andrew John III Allen b: 1880

*2nd Wife of John Andrew Sr. Allen:

... +Minoa

*3rd Wife of John Andrew Sr. Allen: