ALLERSTON-L Archives

Archiver > ALLERSTON > 2002-12 > 1039554963

From: "Alex France" <>
Subject: [ALLERSTON] Allerston's
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:16:03 +0000

Hello!

Thanks for your messages!

I had a better look at your web-site last night; it's very comprehensive!
You must have done an awful lot of work. I'm very impressed!

Thanks for the note about Mary (d. of Wm & Mary); I'll add her to my tree.

You asked about evidence for Henry & Jane's family:

Henry & Jane married at Barmston 05/07/1833 - I got this info from Ann
Wastling who lives in the Barmston area and had advertised as a researcher
in the local church. I also checked it out on the IGI (M107091).

In 1841 at the census, Henry & Jane Allinston / Allison are living in
Barmston with their children Sarah, Elizabeth, Nathaniel & Brian, together
with a servant (?) Mary Wyrell. Henry is an ag lab. (Ann also told me
about this.)

They reppear in Lund Forest, Ryton near Malton in the 1851 census, this time
joined by John, Jane, Ann & Hannah. John, Jane & Ann were all born in
Fraisthorpe, just along the coast from Barmston. Hannah was 2 months old
and had been born in Ryton. Henry is listed as having been born in Sewerby
and is a farmer of 135 acres employing 1 labourer. Sarah Jane is a dress
maker. Elizabeth's future husband, John Bradley, is resident in the same
village.

In the 1861 census I have Elizabeth married to John Bradley and living in
Great Habton near Kirby Misperton with four children, Jane, Emma, Henry &
Sara Ann, all of whom were born in Ryton. John & Elizabeth married in Kirby
Misperton on 03/02/1855 (IGI M064951) and I also have a copy of their
marriage cert. Eliz's father is indeed Henry, whose occupation is given as
farmer.

As you can see, I have quite a few gaps to fill in, such as the remainder of
this Allerston family's whereabouts in 1861 & poss. 71 / 81.

I came across the info about Bryan Allerston by accident when I was having a
nosey on the Abney Park Cemetery (London) web-site. He died on 14/12/1905
in Hackney. I also found a Henry Allerston who died there in 1940 aged 68,
who I thought must be related, and when the 1901 census came out on-line I
was able to back this up. Bryan is listed as a self-employed house painter
& decorator resident at 399 Kingsland Road, Hackney, born Barmston, Yorks
with his wife Arabella (b. Harwooddale, Yorks) and their son Henry (b.
Scarborough), a clerk at the Admiralty Office. Arabella is also buried in
Abney Park Cemetery (d. 1933).

David Marshall provided me with copies of both Henry (1) and (2) Allerston's
death certificates. Henry (1, son of William) died at the age of 85 years
of Bronchitis on 14/03/1861 at the Union workhouse in Bridlington. His
occupation is given as ag lab. I am reasonably happy that this is correct.
I am less sure about the cert. for Henry (2, son of Henry) who died
5/11/1869 at Union Street, Scarborough of erysipelas of the leg. His
occupation is given as a Coal Porter. David also sent me copies of Hannah
Allerston's birth cert. (10/02/1851, mother Jane Allerston formerly Dalby
and father Henry A., farmer of Lund Forest) and her marriage cert. (to
Geroge Hall, 1875, Scarborough, witnessed by a Henry Allerston (not her
father though if he was already dead???). David wondered if this could be
another brother, but I have not yet found any evidence of this.

David also found Hannah & George living at 22 Roscoe Street, Scarborough in
1881. At No. 23 was John Allerston (b. Barmston, aged 39) and his family.

David might have found two other children for Henry & Jane - Sarah chr.
23/11/1846 & William (11/11/1852) born in Appleton le Street, but for some
reason (I can't remember why now) I was not entirely confident of them.
Must double check why that was!

That is about all I have at the mo. I will try to find the census refs etc.
for you if you need them, but at the minute our computer is only half up &
running after some recent problems with it, and I am not able to access my
more comprehensive census records.

Finally, unfortunately I cannot shed any light on the birth entry for John
(26/10/1820), but it would be interesting to find out who he was, wouldn't
it? If I can find out anything on him, I'll get back to you!

Bye for now,

Alex