ALLINGHAM-L Archives

Archiver > ALLINGHAM > 2006-01 > 1137066202

From: "RJ and RT Patterson" <>
Subject: Re: [ALLINGHAM] Re: William Allingham of Co Fermanagh
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:43:22 +1000

Hi Tricia,

More information on the Queensland Allinghams. Bit lengthy sorry, but it's
quite an interesting story.

BOOK: History of Queensland: It's People and Industries.
(Includes photographs of John & Johnstone Allingham, Hillgrove, Fletcher
Vale and Southwick stations)

The ALLINGHAM family was established in Queensland in the year 1861, when
John and Johnstone Allingham, and their cousin, Christopher Allingham,
concluded an overland journey from New England, in the north-east of New
South Wales-where, having hailed from the Motherland, they had settled some
years previously - to the then "farthest north" of Queensland. When the
pastoral resources, made known by the different explorers who had traversed
the vast and unknown territory stretching to the North, were first
attracting capital and enterprise from the south, the Allinghams were among
the earliest of the pioneers who trekked northwards with stock. They set
out from New England with some thousands of sheep in 1858, and, at the end
of a period verging on three years, after surmounting the obstacles and
dangers peculiar to the unknown territory through which they had passed,
arrived in the Broadsound district.

To enable the reader to form some idea of the conditions which they faced on
this journey, it should be mentioned that it was necessary for them to be
constantly on guard against attacks from the aborigines, and that their
progress was hampered by violent storms, torrential rainfalls of the kind
that in a night have been frequently known to inundate the country for miles
with a swiftly rushing volume of water trapping the unwary to a death from
which there was often no escape, long dry spells equally perilous, and
accidents causing dangerous delays, and shortage of food when hundreds of
miles from any kind of settlement. To get the stock across the ranges near
Rockhampton proved one of their most difficult problems, and it was at this
point of their journey that Christopher Allingham, after much
reconnoitering, discovered the opening which still bears the name of
Allingham's Gap.

An extract from Captain John Mackay's account of his journey of exploration
which resulted in the discovery of the Pioneer watershed and the site of the
thriving and important town which bears his name, may prove of interest
here. In describing his return journey and the passage over the Broadsound
Range in July 1860, he writes as follows:-"Descent was difficult, and
daybreak found us at the camp of Mr John Allingham, from New England, who
was travelling stock in search of suitable country."

From the locality referred to by the explorer the Allinghams continued their
journey northwards and in April of the year 1861, Christopher, the cousin
became one of the exploring party led by the late Edward Cunningham from the
newly founded township of Bowen to the unknown territory west and north of
the settlement. This party named Mount Dalrymple, and crossed the Leichhardt
Range with considerable difficulty, finally discovering the excellent
pastures of the Burdekin watershed. Here Mr C. Allingham took up
"Hillgrove" in the family interests and the big part which the family played
in the making of the State's pastoral history began.

"Hillgrove" was worked by the late John and Johnstone Allingham for a
period, but John eventually sold out to Johnstone and took up "Waterview"
another now historical area.

John Allingham, who married a lady bearing the same name, though no
relationship to him, left no children. [Actually she was Frances Allingham
daughter of Edward Allingham and Elizabeth Morrow.]

BOOK: Pike, Glenville. Queensland Frontier. Aussie Books.
p64
But the first white man to reach the Burdekin after Leichhardt was
undoubtedly Christopher Allingham, (for this and other information on the
Allinghams, I am indebted to Mrs Edna Allingham of Biloela, late of
Hillgrove Station) who in 1852 set out northward from Armidale accompanied
only by two faithful Aborigines. On the Fletcher and the Starr- Burdekin
tributaries, and the latter, at least, named by Allingham - he found the
good pastoral land he sought. He blazed trees to mark out two large runs,
one for himself and one for his
brother George.

Satisfied, this lone white man then turned homeward, nonchalantly riding
1,000 miles south to Brisbane to lodge application for the land. His
application could not be dealt with, as the country was not yet open for
settlement; it was a no-mans land, beyond civilisation.

Christopher Allingham had to wait until 1861, but he began preparations for
the northward trek in 1859, and by mid-July that year he set out with four
bullock teams, 8,000 sheep and 2,000 head of cattle. Christopher had
meanwhile married. [Actually as far as I can discover he never married.] He
was joined by his cousins, John and Johnson Allingham, who had just
emigrated from Ireland. His brother George did not go north to claim his
land and it was later sold to Sir Arthur Palmer, who became the 5th Premier
of Queensland.

He now added greatly to the areas of country he had chosen on his 1852
expedition. Hillgrove, a complex of about twenty smaller leases, was named
after an old Allingham property near Armidale (Kangaroo Hills also is a
transplanted name).

p86-87
Christopher Allingham, joined by his cousins, John and Johnson, built the
homestead at Hillgrove. It was possibly the first in the region, though
Edward Cunningham must have occupied Burdekin Downs at about the same time
or very soon afterwards. These two stations were the first in North
Queensland to be occupied - first with sheep, later with cattle.

Christopher Allingham had to return to Armidale in 1873 because of ill
health, and died there, still a bachelor, on 7 November 1876.

BOOK: Irish Families in Australia & New Zealand A-D Vol 1 1788-1983

ALLINGHAM Christopher born 1829 Hillgrove, Belleek, Co Fermanagh, son of
William and Elizabeth (Martin) Allingham. Descended from Hugh Allingham
(1588-1663) who settled at Ballyshannon, Co Donegal. Edward Allingham arr
1841 Sydney and settled at Armidale NSW and later Christopher and two other
brothers arrived. Christopher in 1851 travelled 1500 miles north to the 425
mile long Burdekin river area Qld, to where in 1859 with cousins John and
Johnstone Allingham, they drove 2000 cattle and 1500 sheep to property they
named Hillgrove which is still owned by the family. Christopher died Nov 7
1876 Armidale. Family researched by Mrs K. Salter residing (1981) Mt Keira
NSW; and by Mrs Ruth Allingham Clarke residing (1981) Washington DC USA.

BOOK: Australian Dictionary of Biography Volume 3 1851-1890

ALLINGHAM, CHRISTOPHER (1829-1876), explorer and pastoralist, was born at
Hillgrove, County Fermanagh, Ireland the youngest son of William Allingham
farmer, and his wife Elizabeth, nee Martin. He was a near relative of the
poet, William Allingham (1824-1889), and came of a protestant Hampshire
family who had settled in Ulster in the sixteenth century. His brother
Edward emigrated to Armidale New South Wales, in 1841, and was followed,
probably in 1846, by Christopher and two other brothers. All four became
landholders in the Armidale district and had lesser interests in mining and
the building of inns on the Rocky River goldfields in 1856-57; Christopher
was a partner in one of these public houses; he was also a surveyor.

About 1851 Christopher, accompanied by two Aboriginals, decided to explore
the pastoral country to the northward discovered in 1845 by Leichhardt
[q.v]. They travelled fast with only light supplies that could be carried
by pack and saddle horses. They reached the Burdekin and returned without
using the three old flint muskets carried as a protection against hostile
Aboriginals. As the Burdekin country was not then open for selection,
Allingham waited until the colony of Queensland was on the verge of
separation from New South Wales. In July 1859 with his cousins, John and
Johnstone Allingham, he set off from Armidale to overland 1500 sheep and
2000 cattle to the Burdekin valley. By the wet season of 1860-61 the party
had reached the neighbourhood of Port Denison. There they were overtaken in
April 1861 by a party of officials and pastoralists under George Dalrymple
[q.v] who had come to found the town of Bowen. Christopher Allingham joined
forces with four of these newcomers on a reconnoitring survey of the
Burdekin and on his return chose as his property Hillgrove station; it
remains in the hands of the family. In 1863-73 the Allinghams encountered
difficulties from unfamiliar seasons, hostile Aboriginals, financial
problems and unsuitable pastures for sheep. By 1873 the family was able to
take up a second run, Kangaroo Hills, but soon afterwards Allingham had to
return, apparently for health reasons, to Armidale; there he died aged 47 on
7 November 1876, two months after an apoplectic stroke. Like many pioneer
pastoralists, he never married, and his Queensland interests passed to his
cousins.