ALPIKE-L Archives

Archiver > ALPIKE > 2004-06 > 1088515238

From: cf <>
Subject: Re: [AL-PIKE] CSA Hiram McDaniel
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:20:38 -0500

I don't have any further information on Captain Macon; but I will keep my
eyes open for that name.

Elijah McDonald/McDaniel was most probably the son of William McDaniel and
his wife, Sarah both born in South Carolina, removed to GA between 1843 and
1834. In case you find anything familiar in this list of the seven sons of
William McDaniel and Sarah McDonald let me know. They were all in Pike
County, AL.
Descendants of William McDaniel

Generation No. 1

1. WILLIAM2 MCDANIEL (JOHN1) was born in Chester, Fairfield County, South
Carolina. He married SARAH ? MCDONALD. She was born Abt. 1796 in South
Carolina.

Children of WILLIAM MCDANIEL and SARAH MCDONALD are:

2. i. JOHN3 MCDONALD, b. Abt. 1820, Chester, Fairfield County, South
Carolina.

3. ii. WILLIAM MCDONALD, JR., b. Abt. 1824, Chester, Fairfield County, South
Carolina.

iii. SARAH MCDONALD, b. Abt. 1827, Chester, Fairfield County, South
Carolina.

iv. HIRAM MCDONALD, b. Abt. 1828, Chester, Fairfield County, South Carolina;
m. CAROLINE MCDANIEL.

v. ERWIN MCDONALD, b. Abt. 1832, Chester, Fairfield County, South Carolina.

4. vi. ELIJAH MCDONALD, b. May 20, 1834, Probably: Talbot County, Georgia;
d. June 24, 1904, Montgomery County, Arkansas.

vii. ELISHA MCDONALD, b. Abt. 1838, Georgia.

viii. JAMES W. MCDONALD, b. Abt. 1839, Georgia.

ix. MARY M. MCDONALD, b. Abt. 1841, Georgia.

Generation No. 2

2. JOHN3 MCDONALD (WILLIAM2 MCDANIEL, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1820 in Chester,
Fairfield County, South Carolina. He married SARAH. She was born 1827 in
South Carolina.

Children of JOHN MCDONALD and SARAH are:

i. SARAH A.4 MCDONALD, b. 1845, Alabama.

ii. NANCY MCDONALD, b. 1848, Alabama.

iii. WILLIAM J. MCDONALD, b. 1849, Alabama.

3. WILLIAM3 MCDONALD, JR. (WILLIAM2 MCDANIEL, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1824 in
Chester, Fairfield County, South Carolina. He married CYNTHIA DEES. She was
born Abt. 1824 in Georgia.

Notes for WILLIAM MCDONALD, JR.:

1860 CENSUS - PIKE COUNTY, MONTICELLO TOWNSHIP, Alabama

Name Place of Birth Age Other Information

Wm. McDonald South Carolina 36

Cynthia Georgia 36

Celia M. Alabama 13

General J. Alabama 12

Isham J. Alabama 9

WM. J. Alabama 5

Mary F. Alabama 2

Sarah Alabama 15

Edward(?) Smith Georgia 23 Farm Laborer

1880 Federal Census - Jefferson, Alabama

Film 1254017 Natl. Archive No. &9-0017 Page 349 D.

William

Cynthia Georgia

William J. 23 Alabama

Mary F. 21 Alabama

Children of WILLIAM MCDONALD and CYNTHIA DEES are:

i. CELIA M.4 MCDONALD, b. 1847.

ii. GENERAL M. MCDONALD, b. 1848.

iii. ISHAM J. MCDONALD, b. 1851.

iv. WILLIAM J. MCDONALD, b. 1855, Alabama.

v. MARY F. MCDONALD, b. 1857, Alabama.

vi. SARAH MCDONALD, b. 1859.

4. ELIJAH3 MCDONALD (WILLIAM2 MCDANIEL, JOHN1) was born May 20, 1834 in
Probably: Talbot County, Georgia, and died June 24, 1904 in Montgomery
County, Arkansas. He married (1) MARTHA BANKSTON BROOKS October 23, 1856 in
Pike County, Alabama, daughter of JACOB BROOKS and REBECCA SAPPINGTON. She
was born Abt. 1834 in Walton County, Georgia, and died Bet. 1870 - 1874 in
Fort Smith, Sebastian Co, Arkansas. He married (2) MARTHA ELIZABETH JOHNSTON
July 12, 1874 in Greenwood, Sebastian County, Ark., daughter of JAMES
JOHNSTON and JANE TILLMAN. She was born September 20, 1842 in Tennesee, and
died March 29, 1920 in Montgomery County Arkansas.

Notes for ELIJAH MCDONALD:

Elijah McDaniel/McDonald was my second great grandfather:

McDaniel/McDonald recognized as belonging to Clan Donald USA. Note that in
all cases only Mac is used and not Mc, the reason being that Mc was
originally an abbreviation for Mac.

Genealogically speaking, Mc and Mac are interchangeable. Similarly, the
letter "D" may or may not be capitalized: MacDaniel, MacDonald, MacDonell,
MacDonnell.

The names originated with the Gaelic name MacDomhnuill meaning "son of
Donald." Donald itself meant "world ruler," giving you some idea of the
power and importance of the founder of the clan in Scottish history. Add to
all that the fact that, as we all know too well, spelling was very
inconsistent in the days of early America, and you will come up with any
number of variations. The name McDaniel and McDonald has been used
interchangeably. According to authorities on Scottish names, McDaniel was
once McDawnel. The name was used to designate those who belonged to the Clan
McDawnel. Source: Clan McDonald website.

FEDERAL CENSUS RECORDS:

(Brad McDonald writes that he found an 1830 Fairfield County, South Carolina
Census that enumerated William McDaniel)

1840 U.S. FEDERAL CENSUS TALBOT COUNTY, GEORGIA

Head of Household: William McDaniel

Ages of Males: 0-5 6-10 11-15 16-20 41-45 11-15 41-45

Ages of Females: 2 2 1 2 1 1 1

Mother Sarah would have been 43, John 20, William 17, Sarah 13, Hiram 12,
Ervin 8, Elijah 6, Elisha 2, James 1. This William McDaniel Head of
Household also held 11 slaves. This family matches the Sarah McDaniel family
for ages in 1840 compared with ages in 1850. It is highly likely this is the
same family. William McDaniel must have died between 1840 and 1850. His
death could have been after the birth of Mary M. or just prior to her birth
in 1841.

ELIJAH MCDANIEL (McDonald)

Elijah McDaniel was probably born in Talbot County, Georgia in 1834.

1850 U.S. FEDERAL CENSUS CHAMBERS COUNTY, Alabama

It is believed that the 1850 census of Chambers County, Alabama shows Elijah
listed with a widowed mother named Sarah.

Name Place of Birth Age Other Information

Sarah McDaniel South Carolina 54

Sarah South Carolina 23

Hiram South Carolina 22

Ervin South Carolina 22

Elijah Georgia 16

Elisha Georgia 12

James M. Georgia 11

Mary Alabama 9

Caroline Not Given 20 Wife of Hiram

Note: Marriage bond for Hiram and Caroline found. William McDaniel was
second bondsman.

Summary of 1850 Census information leads to the following conclusion:

Wife - Sarah McDonald/McDaniel, widow of William

1. John

2. William

3. Sarah

4. Hiram

5. Ervin

6. Elijah

7. Elisha

8. James M.

9. Mary M.

10. Sarah A.

11. Nancy

12. William Jr. (maybe a grandson)

John could have been on his own in 1850 - Chambers Co, Alabama

William - 37 could have been on his own or dead in 1860 - Pike County,

Hiram - 32 could have been on his own or dead in 1860 - Pike County,

Ervin - 28 could have been on his own or dead in 1860 - Pike County,

Elijah - 26 on his own, married to Martha Brooks in 1860 - Pike County, -
living down the road

1860 U.S. FEDERAL CENSUS PIKE COUNTY, Alabama, Monticello Township:

Elijah McDaniel and family are enumerated. Also listed in Pike County,
Monticello Township, Alabama is Sarah McDonald and family and William
McDonald as follows.

1860 U.S. FEDERAL CENSUS PIKE COUNTY, MONTICELLO TOWNSHIP, ALABAMA

Name Place of Birth Age Other Information

Sarah McDonald South Carolina 63

John South Carolina 40

Sarah South Carolina 33

Elisha Georgia 23

James Georgia 20

Mary M. Georgia 18

Sarah A. Al 15

Nancy Al 12

WM J. Alabama 11

Note the names and ages for Sarah McDonald, head of household, Sarah,
Elisha, James and Mary between the two census. It would appear that this is
Elijah's family. I suspect that John is the eldest child and that Sarah A.,
Nancy and WM. J. (YES) are his children.

1860 U.S. FEDERAL CENSUS - PIKE COUNTY, MONTICELLO TOWNSHIP, ALABAMA

Name Place of Birth Age Other Information

Wm. McDonald South Carolina 36

Cynthia Georgia 36 (She was Cynthia Deas)

Celia M. Alabama 13

General J. Alabama 12

Isham J. Alabama 9

WM. J. Alabama 5

Mary F. Alabama 2

Sarah Alabama 15

Edward(?) Smith Georgia 23 Farm Laborer

(William McDonald Jr. - above)

1866 PIKE COUNTY CENSUS

Head of Household

Ages of Males Ages of Females

0-10 10-20 30-40 0-10 10-20 20-30 30-40

Caroline McDaniel 1 3 3 1 1 1

Could be Hiram's wife: She would have been 36 years of age. They would have
been married 16 years.

ELIJAH'S MARRIAGE:

Pike County Courthouse, Oak Street, Troy, Alabama, Marriage Records,
1853-1859 p. 236.

October 23, 1856, Elijah married Martha Brooks, daughter of Jacob Rutledge
Brooks, of Pike County, Alabama. Caleb Sappington Brooks, Martha's brother,
signed their marriage bond, $200.00. They were both twenty-two years old at
the time of their marriage.

1860 U.S. FEDERAL CENSUS- ALABAMA - PIKE COUNTY, EASTERN DIVISION,
MONTICELLO TOWNSHIP,

8th Census-Roll 21, Vol. 11, Film # 080 3021, p. 185-4 September 1860 - line
#21, dwelling # 1269 fam. # 1288.

Listed as a farmer with 185 Acres of land, Birth place = Georgia

Martha-wife- age 26, born in Georgia

Children: Rebecca age 3, William J. age 2 both born in Alabama.

1870 U.S. FEDERAL CENSUS - Alabama- BULLOCK County, Scotland Beat # 21, p.
5. line #28, dwelling # 61, Family # 61 10 August, 1870

Post Office Arborvitae, H. T. MCull, Asst. Marshal; Ancestry.com, Roll
M653_21, p.361, 1860.

McDonald, Elijah, age 35, male white, farmer, born in Georgia

Martha, age 34, female, white, keeping house, born in Georgia

Rebecca, age 13, female, white, born in Alabama

Laura, age 4, female, white, born in Alabama

No Name, 4 months, male, white, born in May Alabama

.,

U.S. :)... Elizabeth Sadler married William McDonald 16 September 1789 in
Mecklenburg co, North Carolina. Elizabeth was a daughter of John Sadler &
Jannet McCulloch, who were married in Mecklenburg, and moved to Middle
Tennessee in the 1780's/1790's. Descendants of William & Elizabeth came to
Texas at various times in the 1800's and settled in Grayson -- and other
north central/north east Texas counties, as well as OK. If that

by 1920,

,; d. January 14, 1975, Houston, Texas; m. LILLIAN LUCILLE DOWNING.