ALTALLAP-L Archives

Archiver > ALTALLAP > 1999-08 > 0934248258

From: Joan Hoskins <>
Subject: Re: Cherokee Indian Genealogy
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 21:24:18 -0400

Cherokee Indian Reservation web site http://www.cherokee-nc.com
1-800-438-1601
On the Census dated August 10,1860 in New Site,Tallapoosa County,Alabama there
was a
James Yates 46 m farmer $300 land value $400 personal value
Teressa 45 f - James H 16 m -Albert H 15 m-Mary W13 f-Martha T 12 f-Amanda Y 11
f-Nancy 9 f- Augustus 8 m - McDaniel 7 m -David 3 m -Margaret 3 f
If you have any luck with Indian Reservations records please write down who you
spoke to and the route you took--at least you have her name--In my records it
lists Jonathan Railey /Indian wife/ son Hugh Railey --his son James Madison
Monroe Railey b.1865 d.1936 Good luck Joan in Orlando[born Tallapoosa Co.]
wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> I have been wanting to find some info on my gggrandmother MARTHA TAYLOR YATES
> PEPPER. I had a note on some genealogy stuff that indicated she might be
> part Indian, tho I didn't know what tribe. Well, today I visited her grave
> for the first time, and guess what? There's a big ole SEAL OF THE CHEROKEE
> NATION on her grave! Now, I am wondering if you all could give me some
> pointers on tracing my Native American roots? Subsequent findings today said
> she was 1/2 Indian, and her parents were JAMES YATES and TERESA M. WINSLETT
> YATES.
>
> Thanks, Kay Strong Dennis

This thread: