ALTALLAP-L Archives

Archiver > ALTALLAP > 2004-03 > 1079315410

From: Barbara Franklin <>
Subject: [AL-TALLAPOOSA] Quincy Cemetery
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:50:10 -0500

Branches and Twigs Among the Trees So many ancestors----so little time

Barbara Franklin

Powered by Plaxo Want a signature like this?

My cousin was in Coosa County over the weekend looking for the Quincy Cemetery. Some of the folks buried there were living in Tallapoosa County at one time as well as some from Coosa County. She asked several folks if they knew where to find it and no one did until she met an older couple who gave them directions. It is a ways out and in the woods near a hunting club, but they were able to find it, locate the graves and take photos.

Why I am writing is to ask if you know of some way this cemetery can be protected, saved and not allowed to be "another lost cemetery that the woods take over until it is lost forever". I live in South Carolina and need to know if there is some one or group that could help. I do not know if the land is privately owned either. Anyone with any information on this cemetery, I would appreciate your getting in touch with me. The ones buried there are family members. The stones are in very good shape and the writing on them is legible.

I guess the main reason why we are wanting to save this one, is largely because we can't find the graves of Underhill Davis and his wife Matilda Riley Davis who were buried in a private cemetery (we are thinking on their land) which has now been reclaimed by nature or is unknown to us. If anyone has any information on where they could be buried, we would appreaciate knowing. Underhill and Matilda lived in Tallapoosa Co. and may have owned land in Coosa Co. Their son John Pinkney Davis' grave is unknown. The last we have records of is the 1910 census where he is divorced and working as a hired hand with the Bailey family. There are some Bailey's buried in this cemetery in Coosa Co. and wonder if he could perhaps be buried there without a marker.

Anyone who can help us, please email me at

Thank you for any help you can give.

Barbara Davis Franklin

This thread: