AMERIND-US-SE-L Archives

Archiver > AMERIND-US-SE > 1999-11 > 0943473199

From: "Elizabeth G. Brett" <>
Subject: RE: 1846 Treaty to the Comanche (cont)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:53:19 -0500

Once again Jim,

I am very much enjoying your postings.

thank you,

Elizabeth

-----Original Message-----
From:Jim Hicks [SMTP:]
Sent:Wednesday, November 24, 1999 2:03 PM
Subject:1846 Treaty to the Comanche (cont)

Comanchie Peak Sunday March 8th
This day moved our camp and pitched a way west & breakfasted but without
bread. Fine cloudless sky. Comanchies in motion to the far west. A part
remained today to receive presents. The women and children seventy in
number formed a circle in the prarie. Blankets, [scarves], and cups were
given them & all of the women looked well.

Cochomiquiet and chiefs attended at Comr quarters. He related the capture
of his wife & children by the Spaniards at Rio Grand one year ago on a visit
to that place, to adjust all matters interresting to the parties. Wished
Gov Butler to interpose and recover them.

Gov Butler promised to write to the Mexican minister at Mexico for her
restoration. This was one mode. He could also apply to the govt officers
at St Antonio to recover her, and promised to make the necessary steps.

E Hicks & Genl McIntosh remarked to the Comanchie chief that this was the
only proper course by which could ensure success, and that they had
unlimited confidence in Gov Butler to make the necessary efforts. That we
could assure them that Gov Butler would succeed, but we know that he would
do all that could be done to succeed. The Cherokees could not themselves
act, not have any relations with the Mexicans and their remote location
prevented them.

Mr Hicks suggested that her recovery could be effected thro Genl Taylor
Com[unreadable] Christe. He was a great good man.

Buffalow replied he was now convinced that all our talks were good. He now
understood better how all things were, he had new light, and we had given
him more sense. [unreadable] meeting adj'd and Comanchie took the line of
march to the west, and were still passing on until one hour after dark.

Comanche Peak. Monday March 9th
This day but few Indians in camp. Witchetaws and Kitchies, and a party of
Wacoes arrived.

Comanche Peak. Tuesday Mar 10th
This morning in camp, with a cloudy sky & pleasent. Coody dangerously ill.

Comanche Peak. Wednesday Mar 11th
A grand conference was this day held by Gov Butler, Cherokees, & Creek
delegates, with the [conperated] bands of the Witchetaws, Wacoos, Tewakanaw,
& Kitchies chiefs and captains. Nancy, Witchetaw girl, linguist.

A circle was formed in the prarie with buffalow rugs for seats, where the
different parties seated themselves.

In the center, there were seats of the same and assigned to Comrs and the
Cherokee & Creek delegates. The Pipe of Peace was presented by the Comr to
the audience, and smoked. Gov Butler then made known the objective of his
visit. His appointment & Col Lewis by their great Father the President to
establish permanent peace, to prevent horse stealing and then surrender, and
to patronise them in their improvt' etc etc

E Hicks next addressed the meeting & said that he was truly glad to see his
brothers and smoke the pipe of peace. This was the way to keep and preserve
friendship. Their brother the Comr had informed them the intention of his
visit. The President had sent him to give them this talk and it was a good
talk. The words of the President were true and were always good. The
Cherokees know that it was so. The Cherokees had carried war against the
whites a great while ago, and had much harm against the whites and they had
also suffered.

The President then told them to stop and they did so. He told them to learn
to farm & to raise stock and they done so, and they had done well ever
since, etc etc

Chilly McIntosh, Creek delegate next addressed the meeting.
Kelchkerooka Tewakana Chief spoke in answer of his appretiation of all that
was said by Comr, Cherokees & Creeks. Said they were all good etc

Aquahquash Wacoe chief next spoke same & etc

Kitchy chiefs next, Cah Soroocah, Witchetaw addressed Comr and said that he
was glad & his captains were also pleased to hear their brother talk the
talk sent them by their great Father the Pres't

The Witchetaw [unreadable] they had once made a treaty with him and they had
observed it, and since he had a new talk his friendship was now stronger etc
etc He enquired to what date did the Comr extend this demand for stolen
horses. Reply; two years back.

After the promise of small presents tommorrow the conference adj'd to meet
at Bernards trading house; 25 Apl

Com Peak Thursday Mar 12th
This day in camp, cold & windy. Gov Butler distributed goods to the
Witchetaws, Kitchys, Tewakawas, & Wacoes.

Comanchie Peak Friday Mar 13th
This morning clear & plesant. Eat breakfast alone on fried turkey breast,
buiscuit & hot coffee.

Wedding last night. The gentleman at my elbow was present at the marriage
ceremony. A Lipau Belle, dressed in fringed buckskin jacket and also
fringed booties ornament with slay bells, and her ladyship painted and
painted dress & a Kitchy bow & all, marched thro the lodges with the desired
husband and friends, and walking, looked covered with one rug, until a
circuit was made. There being no objection from any quarter they were man
and wife. (bands)

Comanchie Peak Saturday Mar 14th
This morning, cold & frost.

Visited by the Witchetaw chief Cah so roocah. He marked down on the ground
the location of the Cherokees, Creeks, Choctaws and Witchetaws. He
indicated by significant signs, the great friend of his people to the
nations stated, wished to have a free communication always, to keep the road
open, and hold fast to each other. Singing all night by the Indians. Said
by Madam Rumor of another public marriage of a Tonkawa girl by a public
march of the pair thro the lodges.

Twenty loaves furnished the Wacoes, Witchetaws, Tewakawes & Kitchies for
their sustinence homewards. Went bear hunting with Gov & Caddoes without
success.

Comanchie Peak Sunday Mar 15th
In camp this morning. Fine weather. Our camps were entertained last with
dancers & singing nearly the whole night.

Arrival of Pah you cah, a principal Comanchie chief.
Col Williams, Caddoo agent and Pahyoucah with a mexican prisoner [hi'waita],
and six Lippaw arrived & pitched their tents near to ours.

Comanchie Peak Monday Mar 16th
This morning in camp. Weather fine & clear but cold last night. Wacoes,
Tewakewas, & Kitchie nearly all gone.

Requested by Gov Butler to see Cahseroocah Witchetaw chief - apprise of his
indisposition today, and informed them that it was thirty five days to the
treaty to be held Bernards Trading house. Replied if his brother did not
come he would; if Kiowas came by his town he would come with them.

Pahyoucah called this morning & introduced himself and I did the same in
Comanchie courtesy style by hugging one arm over the shoulder and the other
below the arm pit, and then to the other shoulder & pit.

Council was called by Gov Butler.
Present Gov Butler, Comr
Pahyoucah, Comanche chief
Hicks & Coody, Cherokee delegates
Tuckabatchie Mico, Creek Do'
Three Lippau captains from Mexico
Jim Shaw, linguist

Gov Butler briefly remarked to the Comanchie chief that himself & Col Lewis
had been appointed by their great Father the President of the U.S. to see
all the Comanchie & other tribes in this quarter and make of their
acquaintence. He had come to propose a treaty first-to establish permanent
peace, to remove all grounds of complaint with the annual payments in return
and to patronize them in their improvement.

Wm S Coody said that Gov Butler had informed him of his appt' by the Prest.
Gov Butler was instructed by the President to associate with him, the
Cherokees, Creeks, Choctaws & Chickasaws to be present at their treaty and
to see that everything was done fair & to assure them of their constant
friendship.

E Hicks addressed Pahucah. Brother, you are now informed that we have
appointed to visit you and your people, and to aprise of our sincere
friendship. We only know each other before by name, but now we have seen
each and know and feel that we are friends. Our meeting does our hearts
good and gives it light as bright as the sun now shining on us. Your great
the President has appointed us to hold a treaty with you, and he has told
you in part what it is, and the [unreadable] he will tell you at the great
meeting at Bernards Trading House on the (25 Apl.

The reason that your great Father has sent these Comrs is that Texas, who
was heretofore independant, has now been annexed to the U.S. They are now
all one people. All the Indian business of now belongs to the Prest. Texas
cannot arrange Indian affairs.

The President has been informed that the Comanchies, Wacoes & others have
had trouble with the Texans. The Prest. now sends his captains to establish
a permanent peace, remove all causes of trouble, the next important is to
aquire a boundary line to seperate you and the whites. I request that you
and your chiefs consider the necessity of this question. If left open the
whites will settle up all these rivers, Colorado, Brasos, Red River which
will eventually produce difficulties between you & the whites. In return
the U.S. will make you annual payments of goods [unreadable portion]

Pahucah, answered the second speech by stating that he came along
[unreadable]

Three Lipau chiefs [unreadable] and aprised them of his good feeling for
them. He would give them small [unreadable]

They replied that they were from Mexico, Rio Grande, they had been opposed
and could not live there & had entered the great prarie. Their chief when
informed of this meeting had sent them to see you & inform you of our
situation and assure you of our friendship.

Ludicrous scene in this meeting.
At the meeting of Pahucah and Tuckabatche Mico, Creek delegate, the courtesy
salutation of the Comanche was performed by the hugging, one arm over the
shoulder and under, and then repeated to the other shoulder & arm pit with a
squeeze. But in performing the honorable act, the chiefs found themselves
opposed by their size, both being corpulent, each fairly could not reach the
shoulder of his friend, being kept apart by their big bellies and after one
or two efforts to the loud rapture of the audience, and the honorable chiefs
succeeded to reach each other at arms length, in the manner stated.

This thread: