AMONETT-L Archives

Archiver > AMONETT > 2002-03 > 1015211440

From: Philip Amonett <>
Subject: Re: [AMONETT] Jacob Amonet
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 21:10:40 -0600

At Loudun, France in the early 1600, there were
many Protestants. On 30 Oct 1686 the royal family
of France, who was Roman Catholic, sent a regiment
of dragoons there to compell the Huguenots to
recant their beleifs in John Calvin's teachings
Many were killed,1500 recanted. Many Protestants,
before the Missionaries of Rome arrive, had fled.
Jacob, Pierre, and Mathieu Amonet were
residents heads of famlies at Loudun, France in
1634. Jacob Amonet, who, with his wife and four
infants, reached the colony of Virginia in 1700, is
believed to be the son of Jacob Amonet of Loudun,
France. He had a brother Francis Amonet who
married Jeanne Crommelin whose family were linen
manufacturers in St. Quentin, France. This couple
escaped to England with great wealth in 1681.
Jacob Amonet did not go directly to Virginia, but
first settled in Holland. He served as an officer in
the French Army and later in the Army of
Holland where he was knighted by William, Prince
of Orange. He followed the Prince into England
and helped him to secure the crown.
Jacob Amonet, the emigrant, and his family
came to Virginia in 1700 with the French Huguenots
that settled in Manakintown on the south side of
the James River which later was constituted King
William Parish, Henrico County, Virginia.

DESCENDANTS OF JACOB AMONET

1 JACOB AMONET
b.- c.1660 in France, d.- 5 Oct 1731
(lived in Manakintown, Henrico Co., Va.
sp--Judith _______ d.- bef 1714, m.- bef 1700.
2 ANDREW AMONETT b.- c.1690 probably born in Paris, France
, d.- 1763 (came to Virginia in 1700 on ship "Nasseau")
sp-- JANNE (JEAN) MORRISET b.- c.1700, d.- 1765, m.- c.1721
3 JUDITH AMONETT b.- 20 Sep 1730.
3 JOCOB AMONETT b.- 15 Jun 1732
3 JEAN (JOHN) ANDRE' AMONETT b.-6 Aug 1734
3 CHARLES AMONETT b.- 9 Apr 1736
3 WILLIAM AMONETT b.- 1736 in Chesterfield Co., Va, d.- 1810 in
Buckingham Co, Va.
sp-- ELIZABETH BADGETT (died in Buckingham Co., Va.)
4 JAMES AMONETT b.- 1765, d.- c.1819
sp--MISS BROWN

(Second wife of James Amonett)

sp--NANCY KERR TOLER b.- 1735, m.- 29 Aug 1806
5 (six children)
4. WILLIAM AMONETT, JR. b.- 1 Mar 1774, d.-1853
sp--FRANCES TUCKER
5 (six children)
4 REUBEN AMONETT b.- 1782 in Chesterfield Co., Va,
(moved to Overton Co., Tn, d.- 24 Sep 1814 at
Ft. Jackson, Miss. of wounds in war of1812
sp--ELIZABETH JOHNSON
5 WILLIAM AMONETT b.- 1803
sp--MARTHA ARMSTRONG b.- 1818
5 FREDERICK AMONETT b.- 4 Sep 1804, d.- 25 Apr 1888
sp--DIVINE SULLIVAN
5 MARTHA AMONETT b.- c.1806
sp-- ______ ARMSTRONG
5 VIRGINIA AMONETT b.- 1808
sp-- ________ HASKELL
5 JAMES AMONETT b.- 1809, d.- 1875
sp--ELIZABETH HUDDLESTON b.- 1815, d.- 1864
6 MARY AMONETT b.- 1839
sp--TOM BARNES
6 MARTHA AMONETT b.- 1840
6 WILLIAM AMONETT b.- 1844
sp-- VINA GARRETT
6 WILLIS AMONETT b.- 1846, d.- 1928
sp--HANNAH ELIZABETH JACKSON b.- 1847
7 LEE ANN AMONETT (died as infant)
7 CORA AMONETT d.- 1949
sp-- MILLARD GUNTER
7 SALLIE AMONETT b.- 7 Mar 1885, d.- 30 May 1952
sp--AB B. PRITCHARD b.- 15 Jun 1872,
d.- 16 Mar 1948
8 VERBLE PRITCHARD b.- 26 May 1911,
d.- 19 Jan 1972
sp-- KATE EVANS b.- 21 Oct 1912,
d.- 8 Jul 1975
9 BETTY JEAN PRITCHARD b.- Nov 1946
7 JOHN AMONETT b. 1954
sp-- OCTAVIA ERVIN
7 JAMES J. AMONETT d.- 1963
sp--ELZETTA GARRETT
7 LAFAYETTA AMONETT (died as young boy)
7 MARY AMONETT d.- 1957
sp--JOHN RICH
7 MARTHA AMONETT d.- 1962
sp-- PORTER HILL
7 LOU ELLA AMONETT (died at age of 24)
6 ARTEMA AMONETT b.- 1851
sp-- SUTTON JACKSON
5 SALLY AMONETT b.- c.1812
sp-- REUBEN TIDOW
4 THOMAS AMONETT b.- c.1766, d.- 1863
sp-- JANE CLARKSON
5 (nine children)
4 MARY (MOLLIE) AMONETT
sp--STEPHEN CHASTAIN m.-12 Apr 1786
5 (six children)
4 SALLY AMONETT b.- 1783, d.- 1815 (unmarried)
3 ANDREW AMONETT
3 JANE AMONETT
3 ELIZABETH AMONETT
3 MAGDALEN AMONETT
2 CHARLES AMONETT
sp--DIANNE ________

There is a question regarding the
father of Charles Ammonett b.- 13 Oct 1758
,who married Phebe Hall. The father may have
been Charles Amonett, the son of Jacob
Amonett, the immigrant; or the father may
have been Charles Amonett the son
of Andrew Amonett b, c,1690 ,and his
wife Jeanne (Jean) Morrisett (Amonett)
b.- c.1700, d.1765, m.- 1721. The I.G.I.
files of the Church of Jesus Christ of
latter Day Saints have him being the son of
Charles Amonett who married DIANNA ______.
I am not sure which Charles Amonett
married Dianna, but it seems the dates
might indicate that Charles Ammonett who
married Phebe Hall on 1 Feb 1797
was the son of Charles Amonett the
son of Andrew Amonett and Janne
(Jean) Morrisett (Amonett). Here
he is shown as the son of Charles Amonett,
the son of Jacob Amonett, the immigrant.
3 CHARLES AMMONETT b.- 13 Oct 1758, d.- 14 Apr 1833
sp--______ _______ (unknown)
4 CREED AMMONETT
sp-- MRS. SARAH PETERSON m.- 26 May 1824

(second wife of Creed Ammonett)

sp--FRANCES McGRUDER m.- 18 Jul 1833
4 BRETT AMMONETT d.- Jul 1853 (never married)

(Second wife of Charles Amonett)

sp--PHEBE HALL b.- 1777, m.- 1 Feb 1797
4 RANDOLPH AMONETT
sp--NANCY AMMONETT m.- Feb 1851

(Second wife of Randolph Amonett)

s--______ _______(Unknown)
4 AMMON A. AMMONETT
4 CHARLES AMMONETT (never married)
4 WILLIAM THOMAS AMMONETT (never married)
4 MARGERY BARTON AMMONETTE
b.- 1 Sep 1798, d.- 27 Jan1879
sp--THOMAS ATKINSON b.- 13 Apr 1793,
d.- 1 Aug 1855, m.- 27 Oct 1825 (lived in
Chesterfield Co., Va)
4 PHEBE AMMONETT
sp--THOMAS MAHONE m.- 23 Sep 1828
4 MARY AMMONETT
sp--GEORGE TINSLEY m.- May 1833
5 CHARLES TINSLEY
4 MARTHA A. AMMONETT
sp--RANDOLPH ROBERTS
4 ELIZA AMMONETT
sp-- JAMES WATKINS

Note: On 2 DEc 1833 Phebe Ammonette was
made guardian for Martha A. Ammonette,
Ammon A. Ammonette, and William Thomas
Ammonette orphans of Charles Ammonette.
On 2 Dec 1833 Phebe Ammonette was
made guardian for Eliza Ammomette, said to be
of unsound mind.
On 6 Oct 1834 Phebe Ammonett was
made guardian for Matilda Ammonett who
was said to be of unsound mind. In the
Powhatan Co. 1850 census Matilda Ammonette
was living with Phebe Ammonette. WE do not
know Mitilda's relationship to the family.

2 JACOB AMONETT, JR. b.- c. 1696, d.- 5 Oct 1725
2 CHARLOTTE AMONETT
sp--JEAN CHASTAIN
2 MAGDALENE AMONETT
sp--ABRAHAM SALLE