ANDREWS-L Archives

Archiver > ANDREWS > 1998-07 > 0901516480

From: "Patsy Andrews" <>
Subject: Re: [ANDREWS-L] William ANDREWES/ANDREWS of England and VA
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 00:14:40 -0500

Dot:

WOW! Your organization of Carol's material transferred easily into Word and
then into Excel. I pondered on doing that but wasn't sure how to get from
here to there without retyping. So thank you - and thanks again to you too
Carol.

About Andrews from England ...

I have spent weeks working on this Eastern Shore group. I've gone through
volumes of extractions of deeds and wills for the Andrews and the extended
group for several generations and all of this has been pretty well
documented by the experts. I have photocopied pages and pages of this
material if anyone is interested. My problem -- I've never been able to
connect these folks to the ones I researching. My guys (David, Richard,
William) are in Surry at the same time these folks are populating the
Eastern Shore. If anyone has any documentation getting relations of any of
these people to Surry before 1700 I would be most appreciative.

I've included my FTM genealogy report -- I unsure how it will reproduce but
will give it a try.

Patsy

Descendants of JOHN ANDREWS

Generation No. 1

1. JOHN1 ANDREWS was born in CAMBRIDGE, CAMPBRIDGE COUNTY ENGLAND1, and died
1609 in CAMBRIDGE, CAMPBRIDGE COUNTY ENGLAND2. He married
EASTER/HEASTER/ESTHER _____.

Children of JOHN ANDREWS and EASTER/HEASTER/ESTHER _____ are:

2. i. LT COL WILLIAM2 ANDREWS, b. Abt. 1600, ENGLAND; d. 1655, NORTHAMPTON
CO, VA.

ii. JOHN ANDREWS, d. Bef. March 21, 1609/102.

Generation No. 2

2. LT COL WILLIAM2 ANDREWS (JOHN1) was born Abt. 1600 in ENGLAND3, and died
1655 in NORTHAMPTON CO, VA4. He married (1) SUSANNA. He married (2) MARY
STRINGER.

Notes for LT COL WILLIAM ANDREWS:

Will of Lt. Col Andrews - probated in 1655 in Northampton Co VA source
Marshall

wife Mary

sons John, Robert, William, Andrew

daughter Susanna Stringer, Ann ((Ann not named but in Wm. Smarte document)

gr-daughters Elishebsa, Elizabeth

ex: wife and sons John and Andrews at age 21 and daus. at age 16

wit: Edmund Matthews, William Andrews, Jr.

note: 1655-1657 Wm. Smarte married widow and confirmed gifts to his children
John Andrew, Mary and Ann

note: 1645 - 1651 Wm. Andrews is the brother of Samuel Chandler

Jester ADVENTURES OF PURSE AND PERSON VIRGINIA:

William sailed for Virginia from Gravesend, England aboard the Treasurer
March 21, 1617 reaching VA later that same year and had an October 9, 1627
Land Patent granting him 200 acres, which recited that 50 of the acres were
for the personal adventure of his wife Susanna. Continues to document 3
generations of this family.

Whitelaw VIRGINIA'S EASTERN SHORE

History of Accomack and Northampton Counties which documents every parcel of
land in both counties for generations discussing the divisions resulting
from sales, marriages, legacies, etc. from 1635 to 1750 and beyond.

Children of LT ANDREWS and SUSANNA are:

3. i. MAJOR WILLIAM3 ANDREWS, b. Abt. 1632; d. 1673, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA.

ii. ROBERT ANDREWS, d. 1657, VA; m. REBECCA BAGWELL4.

4. iii. SUSANNA ANDREWS.

Children of LT ANDREWS and MARY STRINGER are:

iv. JOHN3 ANDREWS, d. 1688, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA4.

5. v. ANDREW ANDREWS, d. Abt. 1688, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA.

vi. MARY ANDREWS.

vii. ANN ANDREWS.

Generation No. 3

3. MAJOR WILLIAM3 ANDREWS (LT COL WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1632, and
died 1673 in NORTHAMPTON CO, VA4. He married (1) ELIZABETH TRAVELLOR 1651.
He married (2) DOROTHY ROBINS Aft. 1654, daughter of OBEDIENCE ROBINS and
GRACE O'NEILL.

Notes for MAJOR WILLIAM ANDREWS:

Will of Maj. William Andews, Gentleman probated in Northampton Co VA 1673
source Marshall

wife Dorothy

sons William, Obedience, John, Robert

step son George Evelin

daughters Grace, Susanna, Elisheba (now wife of Peter Reverdy)

gr-daughter Katherin Reverdy

note: refers to inheritance from his father Lt. Col William

refers to lands very specificlly and to his 6 children (of #2 wife)

Notes for DOROTHY ROBINS:

Estate of Mrs. Dorothy Andrews is probated in Northampton Co VA 1683 source:
Marshall

admr: son William on behalf of his brothers and sisters

sec: Andrews Andrews, Nathaniel Walker

Children of MAJOR ANDREWS and ELIZABETH TRAVELLOR are:

6. i. ELISHBA4 ANDREWS, b. Bef. 1653.

ii. ELIZABETH ANDREWS, b. January 01, 1653/544; d. Bef. 1673.

Children of MAJOR ANDREWS and DOROTHY ROBINS are:

7. iii. WILLIAM4 ANDREWS.

iv. OBEDIENCE ANDREWS, d. Aft. 1688.

v. JOHN ANDREWS, d. 1688, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA4.

Notes for JOHN ANDREWS:

Will of John Andrews probated in Northampton Co. VA 1688 source: Marshall

brother William, Obedience, Robert

sister Grace Harmanson, Susanna

bro-in-law Thomas Harmanson, Jr.

aunt Elizabeth Andrews wife of dec'd uncle

uncle Andrew Andrews dec'd

nephew Nathaniel Andrews (son of William)

ex: brother Robert

note: leg: to "my friend" Isaac Haggamon and men: debt owed by Hilary
Stringer

8. vi. ROBERT ANDREWS, d. 1718, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA.

9. vii. GRACE ANDREWS.

10. viii. SUSANNA ANDREWS.

4. SUSANNA3 ANDREWS (LT COL WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married STEPHEN STRINGER.

Child of SUSANNA ANDREWS and STEPHEN STRINGER is:

i. MAGRITT4 STRINGER, m. RANDOLPH HEWITT.

5. ANDREW3 ANDREWS (LT COL WILLIAM2, JOHN1) died Abt. 1688 in NORTHAMPTON
CO, VA4,5. He married ELIZABETH JOHNSON.

Notes for ANDREW ANDREWS:

The estate of Andrew Andrews was probated in Northampton Co VA 1688 source:
Marshall

wife Elizabeth named adm.

sec: Obediance Johnson, Thomas Johnson

apprs: John Luke, Henry Gascoigne, Isaac Haggmon, Adrian Westerhouse

Children of ANDREW ANDREWS and ELIZABETH JOHNSON are:

11. i. ANDREW4 ANDREWS, JR, d. 1728, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA.

ii. WILLIAM ANDREWS, d. 1712, at home of Mycall Halsbird, Nuncap,
Northampton Co, VA5.

Notes for WILLIAM ANDREWS:

Probate of William Andrews in 1712 mentions brother Andrew. source: Marshall

Generation No. 4

6. ELISHBA4 ANDREWS (MAJOR WILLIAM3, LT COL WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born Bef.
1653. She married _______ REVERDY.

Child of ELISHBA ANDREWS and _______ REVERDY is:

i. KATHERIN5 REVERDY.

7. WILLIAM4 ANDREWS (MAJOR WILLIAM3, LT COL WILLIAM2, JOHN1). He married
COMFORT HAGGAMAN, daughter of ISAAC HAGGAMAN and MARGARET__________.

Children of WILLIAM ANDREWS and COMFORT HAGGAMAN are:

i. NATHANIEL5 ANDREWS, b. Bef. 1688; d. 1721, HUNGARS PARISH, NORTHAMPTON CO
VA6.

Notes for NATHANIEL ANDREWS:

No wills have been located for Comfort Andrew or this William Andrews so
this is speculative.

Comfort & William may have had other children but ??? are they all dead by
1721? However William's mother is Dorothy and Comfort's father is Isaac and
Nathaniel is stated to be the son of this William this seems to be a good
match. It also makes William and Comfort unlikely parents of the William,
Richard, Warren, Gray, etc. group.

The estate/inventory of Nathaniel Andrew was probated Hungars Parish,
Northampton Co VA 1721

source: Hungar Parish Records 1660 - 1661

wife Elizabeth

daughter Elizabeth wife of Jabez Pitt

sister Dorothy wife of _____ Hastings

brother Isaac Andrews

Will of John Andrews probated in Northampton Co. VA 1688 source: Marshall

brother William, Obedience, Robert

sister Grace Harmanson, Susanna

bro-in-law Thomas Harmanson, Jr.

aunt Elizabeth Andrews wife of dec'd uncle

uncle Andrew Andrews dec'd

nephew Nathaniel Andrews (son of William)

ex: brother Robert

note: leg: to "my friend" Isaac Haggamon and men: debt owed by Hilary
Stringer

The will of John Haggaman was probated Northampton Co VA 1688 source:
Marshall

wife Sarah (Warren or Nottingham?)

mother Margaret Tomlinson

brother/step bro. Isaac Haggaman, Samuel Tomlinson

sister Patience Atkinson wife of James

Comfort Andrews wife of William

sister or -in-law _______ wife of Joseph Warren

_______ wife of Richard Nottingham

"cozen" Rachell Atkinson daughter of Patience and James

Nathaniel Andrews son of Comfort and William

Margaret Andrews daughter of Comfort and William

Frances Warren daughter of Joseph Warren

Frances Warren daughter of Joseph Warren

men: Andrew Andrews son of Andrew Andrews

brs-in-law Richard Nottingham, Jr. and Joseph Warren

ex: wife or brothers in law

ii. DOROTHY ANDREWS, b. Aft. 1688; m. ________ HASTINGS.

iii. ISAAC ANDREWS, b. Aft. 1688.

8. ROBERT4 ANDREWS (MAJOR WILLIAM3, LT COL WILLIAM2, JOHN1) died 1718 in
NORTHAMPTON CO, VA7. He married ELIZABETH SHEPHERD8, daughter of JOHN
SHEPHERD and ELIZABETH JORDAN.

Notes for ROBERT ANDREWS:

The will of Robert Andrews was probated in Northampton Co VA 1718 source:
Marshall

wife dec'd apparantly because her clothes willed to daughters

sons John, Robert, Jacob, Nathaniel, Southy (under 14)

daughters Sarah, Rachell

brother(-in-law) Morris Shepherd

note: leg. to Jacob refers to land given him by his grandfather Shepherd

Children of ROBERT ANDREWS and ELIZABETH SHEPHERD are:

i. JOHN5 ANDREWS, d. 1766, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA; m. BETTY (ELIZABETH) DUNTON.

ii. ROBERT ANDREWS, d. 1750, HUNGARS PARISH, NORTHAMPTON CO VA9,9; m.
ELIZABETH.

Notes for ROBERT ANDREWS:

The estate of Robert Andrews was probated in Hungars Parish Accomack Co. VA
in 1750

wife Elizabeth

son William

daughter Susanna

adm. wife, Elizabeth

sec: Thomas Hall, Jacob Andrews

Notes for ELIZABETH:

The estate of Elizabeth Andrews- probated in Hungars Parish Northampton Co.
VA in 1751

wife Elizabeth

son William

daughter Susanna

adm. son, William

sec: Thomas Hall, Jacob Andrews

iii. JACOB ANDREWS, b. 1701; d. 1770; m. MARGARET JOYNES.

Notes for JACOB ANDREWS:

The estate of brother Robert Andrews was probated in Hungars Parish Accomack
Co. VA in 1750

wife Elizabeth

son William

daughter Susanna

adm. wife, Elizabeth

sec: Thomas Hall, Jacob Andrews

Jacob is mentioned in his brother Nathaniel's 1740 will

iv. NATHANIEL ANDREWS.

Notes for NATHANIEL ANDREWS:

The will of Nathaniel Andrews was probated in Northampton Co. VA 1740
source: Marshall

brothers Jacob, John, Robert (Southy dec'd ? because not listed)

sister Sarah Gascoigne, Rachel Gascoigne

v. SARAH ANDREWS.

vi. SOUTHY ANDREWS, d. Bef. 1740.

Notes for SOUTHY ANDREWS:

In the will of Nathaniel probated in 1740 in Nothampton Co VA source:
Marshall

5 of the 6 of Nathaniel's siblings mentioned in their father Robert's 1718
will

are mentioned in Nathaniel's will -- Southey is not.

vii. RACHELL ANDREWS.

9. GRACE4 ANDREWS (MAJOR WILLIAM3, LT COL WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married (1)
THOMAS HARMANSON, JR. She married (2) WILLIAM RABYSHAW 1710.

Children of GRACE ANDREWS and THOMAS HARMANSON are:

i. THOMAS5 HARMANSONIII10, d. 1725, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA11; m.
ELIZABETH______11.

Notes for THOMAS HARMANSONIII:

Will of Thomas Harmanson was probated 1725 Northampton Co VA source:
Marshall

men: cousin of his son William is John Robins

ii. ELESHA HARMANSON11, m. JACOB STRINGER.

10. SUSANNA4 ANDREWS (MAJOR WILLIAM3, LT COL WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married
(1) NATHANIEL LITTLETON. She married (2) _______ MAXFIELD Aft. 1702.

Notes for NATHANIEL LITTLETON:

Will of Nathaniel Littleton was probated in Northampton Co VA 1702

men: friends - Col. John Custis, Maj. William Waters, Robert Andrews

Children of SUSANNA ANDREWS and NATHANIEL LITTLETON are:

i. SOUTHY5 LITTLETON.

ii. SARAH CUSTIS LITTLETON.

iii. ESTHER LITTLETON.

11. ANDREW4 ANDREWS, JR (ANDREW3, LT COL WILLIAM2, JOHN1) died 1728 in
NORTHAMPTON CO, VA12. He married ELEANOR WATERFIELD, daughter of WILLIAM
WATERFIELD.

Children of ANDREW ANDREWS and ELEANOR WATERFIELD are:

i. WILLIAM5 ANDREWS, d. 1762, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA12; m. ANNE.

Notes for WILLIAM ANDREWS:

The will of William Andrews was probated in Northampton Co Va in 1762

wife Anne

son Southy and "all of my children" - but not named

ex: wife Anne and Andrew Andrews

ii. ANDREW ANDREWS, d. 1787, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA12.

iii. JOHN ANDREWS, d. October 11, 1741, NORTHAMPTON CO, VA12; m. REBEKKA.

Endnotes

1. LINDA HARRIS - RESEARCH INFORMATION.

2. DOT WIRTH INFORMATION.

3. Adventures of Purse & Person - Jester.

4. Thompson Genealogy.

5. Abstracts of the Wills and Administrations of NORTHAMPTON COUNTY VA
1632-1802.

6. HUNGAR PARISH RECORDS 1660 - 1661 - NORTHAMPTON.

7. Thompson Genealogy.

8. Abstracts of the Wills and Administrations of NORTHAMPTON COUNTY VA
1632-1802.

9. HUNGAR PARISH RECORDS 1660 - 1661 - NORTHAMPTON.

10. Abstracts of the Wills and Administrations of NORTHAMPTON COUNTY VA
1632-1802.

11. Thompson Genealogy.

12. Abstracts of the Wills and Administrations of NORTHAMPTON COUNTY VA
1632-1802.