ANGLO-ITALIAN-L Archives

Archiver > ANGLO-ITALIAN > 2007-11 > 1194506960

Subject: [ANGLO-ITALIAN] Re Anglo-Italian immigration.
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 18:29:20 +1100

This is an interesting flow of information that I would like to participate in, if that's okay.
My GGGrandfather, Oliver DAVEY married an Italian woman called Rosa FANDONI about 1840.
He might have married in England or Italy, I don't have a clue.
They had a son Pietro FANDONI, born in Northern Italy 1841, who came to Tasmania about 1860-1874.
He was Catholic and had a wife and 2 children who died in Italy about 1860.
He was a wheelwright and carpenter and he married Mary Ann GOODWIN in 1964 at Buninyong, Victoria, changeing his name to Peter DAVEY . As family legends go, there was a famous opera singer in the family and one of Peter and Mary Ann's grand daughters became an Opera singer at Covent Gardens, London and with the Australian Opera, her name was Rosina RAISBECK.
This family was mentioned in a book "From Goldrush to Federation" by Charles D'Aprano and also "Italians in the Goldfields". Don't think they found gold but had 15 children over a period of thirtyfive years!
If anyone can assist me to find the rest of the story I would be grateful.
Happy researching, Jan Macpherson Sydney, Australia.

This thread: