ANGUS-L Archives

Archiver > ANGUS > 2000-04 > 0956331975

From: Betty Stewart <>
Subject: [ANGUS] ANDERSON/GREIG - ARBROATH
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:46:15 -0700

To Bronwyn Zrna:

While going through the Angus List archives, I came across your
November, 1999 message re your interest in ANDERSON & GREIG in
Arbroath. Briefly, my information is as follows:

GREIG:

My 4x great grandmother was Isabella GREIG (b. abt 1801 Arbroath) -
daughter of James GREIG & Jean MILLN.

Isabella GREIG m. John COOPER. One of their daughters was Elizabeth
Lumgair COOPER.

Elizabeth Lumgair COOPER m. Alexander BOGUE. One of their daughters was
Isabella Greig BOGUE.

Isabella Greig BOGUE m. John WHYTE (a steeplejack - the son of William
WHYTE & Isabella HODGE). About 2 years after the marriage, Isabella
gave birth to my great grandmother, Lizzie Jane Bogue WHYTE. However,
on my great grandmother's birth certificate, it states that John WHYTE
was not her father.

ANDERSON:

My ANDERSON family originated in St. Vigeans, but moved to Arbroath.
The family home was located at 6 Hillend Road, Arbroath.

I have not totally verified this first generation, but am 90% certain
that they are my 4x great grandparents:

John ANDERSON m. Jean ALEXANDER. One of their sons was David ANDERSON
(c. 1783 St. Vigeans).

David ANDERSON m. Helen WADDELL (b. Arbroath). One of their sons was
Alexander ANDERSON.

Alexander ANDERSON m. Elizabeth ALLAN (I'm pretty-much convinced that
she was Elizabeth Skirving ALLAN). One of their sons was James
ANDERSON.

James ANDERSON (b. 1849 Arbroath - owned a flax mill in Arbroath) m.
Mary BOWMAN (b. 1856 Glen, Kincardine O'Neil, ABD - dau of George
"Geordie" BOWMAN and Catherine SMITH). One of their sons (my grt
grandfather) was Frank Bowman ANDERSON.

Frank Bowman ANDERSON (b. 1885 Arbroath) m. Lizzie Jane Bogue WHYTE
(mentioned above). They emigrated to Canada in the 1920's.

I have quite an extensive amount of information which I have put on my
website. I also have an excerpt from an Arbroath newspaper about James
ANDERSON which I will transcribe and put up on my website this weekend.
James was quite a prominent flax merchant in Arbroath.

Please let me know if you find any connection.

Cheers,
Betty Stewart
British Columbia
Website - http://www.kinsearcher.ne