ANGUS-L Archives

Archiver > ANGUS > 2001-02 > 0983139767

From: "H Blair" <>
Subject: [ANGUS] GUTHRIE,LINDSAY,GRANT-Forfar/Dunnichen/Letham
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:22:47 -0500

Hello listers
I am seeking any information on the background of the following people:
1. David GUTHRIE (? - ?)
2. his son, Thomas GUTHRIE (b.abt. 1821, d.in Canada 1892)
3. his wife, Catherine GRANT (? - ?)
4. Thomas' wife, Helen LINDSAY (b.abt.1820, d.in Canada 1861)

This is what I have:
1. David GUTHRIE
Children of David with Catherine Grant (source: IGI)
James - Tannadice - Ch .22 Feb 1814
Mary - Tannadice - Ch. 8 May 1810
Alex - Tannadice - Ch. 2 Mar 1812
Children of David - mother's name not mentioned
Jean* - Menmuir - ch. - 1816
John - Menmuir - ch. 13 Jun 1818
Stewart-Menmuir - ch. 21 Jul 1824
Thomas**-Menmuir - ch. 14 Jun 1821
2. Thomas GUTHRIE
I am sure Thomas** is the same Thomas whose age matches various Canadian
sources and who has given David GUTHRIE and Catherine GRANT as parents and
birthplace as Menmuir.
The 'Canadian' Thomas, however, had a sister Jane, who married in Canada
in 1860, supposedly age 40. Is it possible that this Jane is actually Jean*
who would be more like 44 if the IGI info is correct.
(Actually Jane is marrying a man who is 39 - maybe a compelling reason to
'modify' her age?)
As for Thomas - I have an OPR extract which reflects the marriage of a
Thomas GUTHRIE to Helen LINDSAY. It reads:
13 March 1842 Dunichen, Forfar
"Thomas Guthrie, Baker, in Letham, and Helen Lindsay, both in this Parish
proclaimed in order to be married"
Children credited to Thomas & Helen prior to their emigration to
Canada (late 1850s):

James 1844/45 (possibly at Dunnichen)
George Lindsay 5 Jan 1848 Marykirk (this is an IGI listing - I have
no other knowledge of him.)
Alex 1850/51
David 1856/7 20 Apr 1855 - Ferry Port on Craig (this
also is an IGI listing - but I know a David exists in this family and the
above birth date fits approx with my information)
Is the movement of the family from Dunichen, to Marykirk to Ferry Port on
Craig logical? Also, is there any one port from which a couple would be
most likely to sail when emigrating to Canada at that time?

3. Catherine GRANT
Wife of David Guthrie (Senior) and mother of the Thomas and Jane named
above. I have no other information. Any leads would be appreciated.

4. Helen LINDSAY
'Native of Forfar'. Died at age 40 in Canada 1861, shortly after
emigrating from Scotland in the late 1850s. Married Thomas GUTHRIE as
outlined above.
With regard to her background, a couple of tempting choices show up
in Scots Origins:
Christenings-
1821 - 17 Feb - parents Alex Lindsay & Jean Crichton - Monifieth
1820 - 13 Feb - parents John Lindsay & Jane Watson - Montrose
In hope that someone may be able to add a little to my current somewhat
limited knowledge.
Thanks kindly
Helen