ANGUS-L Archives

Archiver > ANGUS > 2001-09 > 1001218416

From: R/S Arnold <>
Subject: [ANGUS] SCOTT in Forfarshire (Angus)
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 00:13:36 -0400

> From: Emrie LaBarge <>
> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:43:44 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: [ANGUS] Scott family in Forfar
>
> I am new to the Angus mailing list. I am interested in
> a Peter Scott who was born in Forfar in 1825 or 1826.
> On the Maryland, US census for 1881 he said he and
> both his parents were born in Forfarshire.
>
> Family tradition ha is that he had a brother named
> John. His father was also named John; his mother died
> and their father remarried. After the marriage, Peter
> and his brother, John, who were teenagers, immigrated
> to Canada. There was a couple, named Robinson, who
> lived nearby in Forfar.
>
> I have been concentrating on Canada where Peter gets
> married in 1852. I am just beginning to look in
> Scotland and could use some help or direction.
>
> Thanks a bunch
> Emrie LaBarge
> Albany, NY

Emrie,
You may want to save the following descendent report on a prominent SCOTT
family in Forfarshire (Angus). My ancestry connects to it through a Mary
SCOTT, but family papers passed down don't say how.
My Mary's info. is:
_____________________________________
Name: Mary SCOTT
Birth: abt 1798??? Scotland
Death: Dundee, Scotland
Father: unknown SCOTT

Spouses
‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
1: James ELDER (immigrated alone to USA ca1847)
Father: Thomas ELDER (~1772-)
Mother: Lewis / Lew-Ann(e) / Louisa EASON (EASSON) (~1772->1846)
Children: William (Illegitimate) (<1819-)
Thomas R. (1820-~1906)
Jean (~1822-)
Mary Scott (1823-1918)
Isabella Scott (1824-)
James (~1826-)
Ann Gorden Bell (1828-)
‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹

I have put together this much of the SCOTT family in the hopes I would
discover in what way it connects, since I couldn't seem to find the
connection looking from my known Mary SCOTT. This was a huge family. Given
the fact that SCOTT was a very common name, it makes weeding through all of
them very time consuming.

Hope it helps you out in some way, if not now, in the future.
--
Shelly Arnold
Holland, MI

DESCENDENT REPORT of James SCOTT
James SCOTT Sr.
b. abt 1800, Montrose, Angus, Scotland
d. abt 1841-1847, Dundee, (Forfar)Angus Co., Scotland
occ. handloom weaver 1800¹s, started what began first of many mills
carried on by son, James.
& unknown wife of James SCOTT, Sr.
b. abt 1800, Coupar, Angus Co., Scotland
d. Scotland (probably Dundee, Angus Co.)
| William SCOTT
| b. abt 1825
| James SCOTT*
| b. ca 1828, Dundee, Angus Co., Scotland
| d. ca Jan 1908, Hynford House, Perth Road, Liff&Benvie Parish, Dundee
| occ. jute manufacturer, owner of James Scott & Sons, Ltd.- Dundee
| & Jane CROLL
| b. abt 1828
| d. aft 29 May 1871, died years before husb.(in 1908)probably bfr 1878
| m. 23 Nov 1850, Liff Benvie&Invergowrie-parish, Dundee
| | David SCOTT
| | b. c23 May 1851, Dundee, Angus Co., Scotland
| | d. 24 Oct 1926, Burnside Alyth
| | occ. 1926 head of James Scott & Sons, Ltd.
| | | James SCOTT
| | | b. abt 1876
| | | occ. James Scott & Sons, Ltd.- started by his grandfather
| | | David SCOTT
| | | b. abt 1877
| | | occ. James Scott & Sons, Ltd.- started by his grandfather
| | John Croll SCOTT
| | b. 19 Aug 1853, Dundee, Angus Co., Scotland
| | d. (c27th) Dec. 1922, London, England
| | occ. 1881-Manufacturer & Merchant
| | & Amelia L. UNKNOWN
| | b. ca 1858, USA British sub
| | m. abt 1879
| | William SCOTT
| | b. 30 Mar 1856, Dundee, Angus Co., Scotland
| | d. 16 Jun 1934, Dryburgh House, Lochee, Liff Benvie, Dundee
| | occ. James Scott & Sons, Ltd. - started by his grandfather
| | & Elizabeth
| | b. abt 1856
| | m. c Mar c1884
| | | 1st of 6 daughters SCOTT
| | | b. abt 1885
| | | 2nd of 6 daughters SCOTT
| | | b. abt 1886
| | | 3rd of 6 daughters SCOTT
| | | b. abt 1887
| | | 4th of 6 daughters SCOTT
| | | b. abt 1888
| | | 5th of 6 daughters SCOTT
| | | b. abt 1889
| | | 6th of 6 daughters SCOTT
| | | b. abt 1890
| | | John Gordon SCOTT
| | | b. ca 1892
| | | d. 1915
| | | W. Moir SCOTT
| | | b. abt 1893
| | | occ. in 1934 was one of the directors of the firm, James
Scott & Sons, Ltd., Mid Wynd Works, Dura Works & Hillbank Linen Works.
| | | George E. SCOTT
| | | b. abt 1894
| | | occ. in 1934 was one of the directors of the firm, James
Scott & Sons, Ltd., Mid Wynd Works, Dura Works & Hillbank Linen Works.
| | | Lindsay M. SCOTT
| | | b. abt 1895
| | | occ. in 1934 was a charted accountant in Glasgow, Scotland
| | James Morrison SCOTT
| | b. 20 Dec 1861, Dundee, Angus Co., Scotland
| | Grace Jane SCOTT
| | b. 23 Sep 1866
| | Lucy Maggie SCOTT
| | b. 29 May 1871, Dundee, Angus Co., Scotland
| James SCOTT*
| b. ca 1828, Dundee, Angus Co., Scotland
| d. ca Jan 1908, Hynford House, Perth Road, Liff&Benvie Parish, Dundee
| occ. owner of James Scott & Sons, Ltd. based in Dundee
| & Ann
| b. c1854, Newport, Fife, Scotland
| m. aft May 1871
| | Alfred F. SCOTT
| | b. c1878, Dundee, (Forfar)Angus Co., Scotland
| | Edward F. SCOTT
| | b. c1880, Bendochy, Perth, Scotland
| | Joseph G. SCOTT
| | b. c1881, Bendochy, Perth, Scotland