ANGUS-L Archives

Archiver > ANGUS > 2009-06 > 1246281795

From: "Lorna Kinnaird" <>
Subject: Re: [ANGUS] Whitton family from Forfar/Airlie
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:23:15 +0100

Wendy,

Here is what I have found out about my WHITTON family. I have taken out the
cause of Agnes's death in 1863 as it may cause offence to any potential
family who may connect with this information in years to come. I can always
let those who are interested know off list. Hope this is ok?

Agnes Dawson, b. 17th Sept 1820, Forfar; d. 5th Sept 1863, Aberlemno
First daughter of Peter Dawson and Jean Mitchell
m. John Whitton, b. 1818, Airlie, Perthshire; d. 16th Feb 1900,
Forfar
on 7th June 1840, Forfar (Parish of Glamis)
They had at least seven children:

Jean Wilson Whitton, b. 7th Feb 1841, Forfar
William Whitton, b. 1843, Rattray, Perthshire
Jess Whitton, b. 1845, Kinnettles, Forfar
Mary Whitton, b. 9th Dec 1849, Kinnettles, Forfar
James S Whitton, b. 1852, Kinnettles, Forfar
John Whitton, b. 1856, Forfar
Agnes Whitton, b. 1859, Forfar

Agnes died by drowning herself at Milldam, Kirkton, Aberlemno. Her husband
John Whitton was the informant on the death certificate. He is noted as
being a Wright. John died at 2 St James Road, Forfar aged 81 years - he
never remarried. His grandson-in-law Alexander H Gordon, living at 16 St
James Road, Forfar was the informant. I haven't quite worked out how
Alexander Haxton Gordon (b. 27th Feb 1886, Loons Road, Lochee son of John
Gordon and Margaret B Gordon, m.s. Haxton m. 1st Jan 1885, Lochee) is
connected to John Whitton other than Alexander's grandmother was Margaret
Whitton who married Alexander Dall.

1851 - Census - Douglastown, Forfar
John WhittonHead33b. 1818, Airlie, Forfarshire
Joiner
Agnes WhittonWife30b. 1821, Forfar
Wilson WhittonDau10b. 1841, ForfarAt
school
William WhittonSon8b. 1843, Rattray
At school
Jess WhittonDau6b. 1845, Kinnettles
At school
Mary WhittonDau1b. 1850, Kinnettles
At home
David BalharrieServ19b. 1832, Airlie
Joiner
Note: the above entry for 'Wilson Whitton' was actually incorrectly
recorded. It was actually Jean Wilson Whitton as her birth certificate in
1841 states this. I was kind of puzzled as to why the enumerator would
record 'Wilson' as a daughter instead of a son! So I found out.

1861 Census - 343 Dundee Road Square, Forfar
John WhittonHead42b. 1819, Airlie, Forfarshire
Joiner
Agnes WhittonWife40b. 1821, Forfar
William WhittonSon18b. 1843, Rattray, Perthshire
Joiner
Mary WhittonDau11b. 1850, Kinnettles, Forfar
Scholar
James S WhittonSon9b. 1852, Kinnettles, Forfar
Scholar
John WhittonSon5b. 1856, Forfar
Scholar
Agnes WhittonDau2b. 1859, Forfar
Mary SimsonG-dau 1 9/12b. 1859, Forfar

CHILDREN OF AGNES DAWSON AND JOHN WHITTON:

Jean Wilson Whitton, b. 7th Feb 1841, Forfar
Daughter of Agnes Dawson and John Whitton
m. David Simpson, b. 1841
on 24th Jan 1862, 38 Dundee Road, Forfar
They had at least six children:

Mary Simpson, b. 26th Aug 1859, Forfar
Agnes Simpson, b. 27th Apr 1862, Forfar
Helen Simpson, b. 25th Sept 1864, Forfar
James Simpson, b. 1867, Forfar
Elisabeth Simpson, b. 1869, Forfar
David Simpson, b. 1870, Forfar

I believe this is the correct record despite the details of Jean's parents
being slightly wrong. Her father John Whitton is noted as being a 'wright'
and her mother is noted as being 'Ann Whitton, m.s. Davidson'. I am not sure
what the reason for this might be - but other details are correct, even to
the point of Helen Kidd being a witness to the marriage!

The addresses were 11 St James Road, Forfar and 25 Dundee Road, Forfar.
David Simpson was the son of John Simpson (Pavement Quarrier) and Elizabeth
Simpson, m.s. Henderson. He was a Plash Miller. Jean is noted as being a
Linen Weaver.

In the 1861 Census their daughter Mary Simson (or Simpson) was noted as
staying with her grandparents Agnes Dawson and John Whitton. Mary was born
illegitimate, but the marriage of her parents in 1862 legalised her birth
(document amended 18th June 1862). Her father David Simpson is noted on the
birth certificate as being the father.

William Whitton, b. 1843, Rattray, Perthshire
Son of Agnes Dawson and John Whitton

Mary Whitton, b. 9th Dec 1849, Kennettes, Forfar
Daughter of Agnes Dawson and John Whitton
m. James Herald, b. abt 1839, Forfar
on 1st Jan 1896, 52 Dundee Loan, Forfar

James was the son of James Herald (Ploughman) and Janet Watt (afterwards
married to John Ford, Ploughman). He had also been previously married to
Jane Ramsay (who died). Mary was a factory worker living at 52 Dundee Loan,
Forfar. James lived at 48 Dundee Road, Forfar. The witnesses were
Alexander Souter Smith and Isobel Simpson. Mary's parents are noted as
being John Whitton, Joiner and Agnes Whitton, m.s. Dawson (deceased).

1871 - Census - 11 Crescent Street, St Andrews
Mary WhittonBoarder21b. 1850, Douglas Town, ForfarWeaver Linen
P L

1881 Census - 7 Watt Street, Forfar
Mary WhittonHead30b. 1851, Kennettes, ForfarFactory
Weaver Linen

James S Whitton, b. 1852, Kinnettles, Forfar
Son of Agnes Dawson and John Whitton
Nothing further known at present.

John Whitton, b. 1856, Forfar
Son of Agnes Dawson and John Whitton
Nothing further known at present.

Agnes Whitton, b. 1859, Forfar
Daughter of Agnes Dawson and John Whitton
Nothing further known at present.

Lorna
xx

Lorna Kinnaird (Muat)
Family History: Fyfe (Forfar); Muat (Haddington)
Childminder in Edinburgh, Scotland

- what's for you, won't go by you!

This thread: