ANSLEY-L Archives

Archiver > ANSLEY > 1998-05 > 0894234646

From: Bill Ansley <>
Subject: Re: [ANSLEY-L] Ansley Name
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 18:30:46 -0400

Wayne Kruper wrote the following...Bill Ansley furnished followup
info...at bottom of this message!

>FYI
Ansley

> Ansley is the 7,051st most popular last name (surname) in the
>United States; frequency is 0.002%;
> percentile is 67.247 [SourceCBN]
> Ansley, Alabama, United States [Place] is in Pike County; location
>is 31°53'10"N 86°6'57"W [SourceGSP]
> Ansley, Louisiana, United States [Place] is in Jackson Parish;
>location is 32°23'44"N 92°41'34"W
> [SourceGSP]

Ansley, LA was named by Virgil M. Davis, for his mother-in-law,
Martha (Livingston) Ansley, wife of William Strain Ansley (son of David
Ansley and g'son of William Ansley/Sarah Strayhorn..brother to Thomas
Ansley and son of William Ansley of Monmouth Co NJ). Mr. Davis established
a sawmill at this site.

> Ansley, Mississippi, United States [Place] is in Hancock County;
>location is 30°13'30"N 89°29'1"W
> [SourceGSP]

Ansley, MS was named for Michael "Mike" Leonidas Ansley (1843-1892), a
railroad man who
lived/traveled in this area of the country. He was the son of Asbury
Ansley and Ridley
Ryals Ivey, and grandson of James Ansley and great,grandson of Thomas
Ansley (see above).

> Ansley, Nebraska, United States [Populated Place] is in Custer
>County; location is 41°17'16"N 99°22'53"W
> [SourceGSP]
> Ansley, Nebraska, United States [Village]; population was 555 in
>1990; housing units was 286 in 1990;

Ansley's population, in 1930, was 817!!

> location is 41°17'N 99°23'W; land area is 1,559,000 km^2; FIPS code
>is 1535 [SourceCBP]
> Ansley, Nebraska, United States Postal Service Zip Code is 68814
>[SourcePSZ]

Ansley, NE was named for Eliza J. Ansley, by Colonel R.O. Phillips, President
of the Lincoln Land Co. She was his sister. Eliza J. was a second cousin
of
Gen George Custer, for
whom the COUNTY was named. I don't know the ANSLEY to whom Eliza J. was
married.
Likely, was one of the 'railroading' Ansleys of that day.

The story was told, by Eliza J. Ansley's son, Homer, that the name was
pronounced
aInsley (note the "I"). He also reported that known Ainsleys of the day
pronounced
THEIR name as Ansley.

Most current-day Ansleys pronounce it that way, BUT those unaware of the
correct
pronunciation generally mis-pronounce it aInsley.

Bill Ansley

---
mailto:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/646