APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2000-08 > 0967236420

From: "Patricia Stamm" <>
Subject: [APG] re: Mentoring
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:47:00 -0700

Here in St. Louis, I was fortunate to have several people mentor me before
during and after receiving certification.

The first was Ann Fleming who suggested that I contact the local community
college to teach a beginning genealogy class in the south area. Her wisdom
and encouragement is insightful, and valuable.

Another individual, Ruth Ann Hager, asked me to substitute teach for her
when I was just getting my "feet wet". As Diane said in her message "she
had confidence in my ability" and that is sometimes worth more than gold.

My final mentor, Pam Porter, is someone that I bounce ideas off of on
clients, contracts, and the like. [And she makes one fine room mate - she
stays on her side of the room <VBG>]

In St. Louis, although all of us are at different stages and interest, there
is no jealousy - only encouragement and congratulations whenever any of us
reached a milestone. We value each others experience and advice and when
our schedules allow we "do lunch" just chit chat about projects, work, and
family.

A couple of years ago, a new APG chapter began in St. Louis. It is now
beginning it's own mentoring program. Meetings are open to anyone who is
interested in a genealogical career.

Mentoring isn't payback. It is pay forward!

Pat
Patricia Walls Stamm, CGRS
specializing in Catholic, St. Louis Missouri Research.
http://www.stlouisgenealogy.com
CGRS is a service mark of the Board for Certification of
Genealogists®, used under license by board-certified associates who meet
genealogical competency standards prescribed for those programs.

This thread: