APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2001-08 > 0996682753

From: "Richard A. Pence" <>
Subject: [APG] Pronunciation of MIRACode
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:19:13 -0400

It appears I owe the house a round! <g>

I e-mailed Eastman Kodak last week concerning the
pronunciation of MIRACode - Microfilm Information Retrieval
Access Code - and got a nonresponse. So, with thee tenacity
typical of a genealogical researcher, I started calling
numbers found on the Internet. I was finally referred to a
library unit within the company, where a helpful young man
(well, he sounded young) named Rich Bartel promised to help
me (but only after trying to refere me back to the number
that gave me his number!).

After a couple of days he called to report the following:

He had been successful in locating within the company the
only person still there who was familiar with Miracode
(while the word, as indicated above, was an acronym, it is
most often spelled only with the initial cap), having worked
with the unit that developed the system.

The "sole survivor" reported that Miracode is pronounced at
the start the same as the word mirror - which is what
several of you said (and with which I disagreed).
Meer-a-code.

Someone else privately asked how to pronounce Recordak,
which is the Kodak subsidiary which developed and marketed
Miracode. To the surprise of both Rich and I, this name
(which I understand also appears on a lot of older microfilm
readers) is pronounced more like "wrecker-dak" than
"re-cor-dak.

And the capper is that Rich pronounces his surname BAR-tl
and not Bar-TEL.

A closing thought: I wonder if we aren't unnecessarily
confusing ourselves and others by emphasizing the fact that
portions of the 1910 census "were indexed using Miracode."
The essential fact is that the system of indexing is
actually Soundex and Miracode was merely a machine method of
sorting the cards rather than a hand process.

The essential fact is that it matters not whether you are in
a "1910 Miracode state" or a "1910 Soundex state," you
locate the name exactly the same way.

I'm guessing that the reason the word Miracode is so firmly
attached to the work done is that the Bureau of the Census
promised to do so in return for favors supplied by the
company.

Being as how it is apparently ONLY genealogists who ever use
the word Miracode (remember - only one soul at Eastman Kodak
knows what it is and the rest of them never heard of it
until last week! <g>), we probably can safely ignore it.

Regards,
Richard Pence (rhymes with dense)

This thread: