APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2002-07 > 1027716340

From: Connie Lenzen <>
Subject: [APG] Vermont probate
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:56:06 -0800

I have a question about probate laws/rules/customs.

In 1816, in Windsor County, Vermont, Levi Whitney, Lydia Fish, Nancy
Fish, and Sally Fish quit-claim their portion of the dower of Abigail
Fish to Nathan Fish.

Levi Whitney was married to Polly Fish, daughter of Abigail and
Nathan Fish. Polly, in her mid-20s, was alive when this deed was made.

I need to research the laws/rules/customs that would require that a
married woman not be listed in such a deed. Suggestions?

Windsor, Windsor County, Land Records.
Vol. 11, page 190
FHL # 29251
Know all men by these presents that we Levi Whitney, Lydia Fish,
Nancy Fish, and Sally Fish all of Woodstock in the County of Windsor
and State of Vermont, heirs to the estate of Dower of Abigail Fish of
Woodstock County of Windsor and State aforesaid for and in
consideration of the sum of twenty-five dollars paid to each of us by
Nathan Fish son and heir to the said Abigail Fish, the receipt
whereof we do hereby acknowledge have renounced, released, and
forever quitclaimed by these presents for ourselves and our heirs do
. . . unto the said Nathan Fish all rights and title to the estate
dower of the said Abigail Fish . . . .

Thanks,
Connie Lenzen

Connie Lenzen, CGRS*
10411 SW 41st Avenue
Portland, OR 97219-6984

Phone: 503-244-4357
Fax: 503-245-4723

Connie's webpage: http://www.orednet.org/~clenzen/

*CGRS is a service mark of the Board for Certification of Genealogists
and is used under license by board-certified associates.

This thread: