APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2002-11 > 1036368292

From: Nancy Upshaw <>
Subject: RE: [APG] Computer compatibility
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 19:04:52 -0500

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 with Win XP on it. Though it has
taken me awhile to understand the differences between it and Win NT or
Win 2000 (I use both of the latter at work), my ultimate conclusion is
that it is probably the most stable new Microsoft operating system
release out of the box, ever. I also like it as well or better than
either of the other two OS's above. Since I could never get Win 98 to
work on my old Win 95 laptop, I waited as long as I could to make the
leap upwards. I'm glad I did. I agree with whoever said that there must
be a conspiracy to get us to upgrade hardware along with OS's. Once I
finalize the transfer from old to new, I'm going to wipe the old hard
disk clean and see if something newer can be put on there from scratch.
I have a use for the old computer in mind if I can get it updated.

*****>> One thing I discovered that I like VERY MUCH about Win XP (which
is basically Win NT v5), is that it has an option to run programs in
"compatibility mode". This makes it possible to run an older Windows
program as if it were running under Win 95, 98 or Me, 2000, or NT v4 svc
pack 5. If you were using a program on Win 95, for example, and it
worked fine there, then you can make it run in Win XP as if it were
running on Win 95. I was having problems with one of the supplied
programs that came with the machine. A little investigation got me to
the Properties pop-up (right-click on the .EXE file name for the program
and choose Properties), then the "Compatibility" tab. On this tab you
can select which OS you ran the program on before with no problems.
After I selected this option, the software no longer froze up the
machine. This may not work every time for everything, but it sure has
made life easier for me so far.

It is said that if you have DOS programs that you like that you can't
run them on XP, so I'd check your inventory of products and tools to see
if any of your favorite things fall into that category. There is still a
DOS prompt available, and the DOS -commands- that I have tried have all
worked, but they were fairly inconsequential ones. Some installation
routines use the DOS method, and those I've tried so far work just fine.
Some DOS programs that I have still work (very simplistic ones), some
don't(the more complicated ones). It probably depends upon what
components of DOS that it uses, whether it will or won't. Never hurts to
try.

Re: wireless networks - I set up a wireless Internet network (too easy!)
connected to my cable Internet connection using the Dell wireless
routing hub hardware and Dell TrueMobile card. It works like a dream.
The hub is down in the basement where the TV cable connection comes in.
I'm 2 floors above sitting in my easy chair, or sometimes I'm in bed,
same floor, because of my back problems. I very occasionally get a
disconnection or a slow-down, but I think it has more to do with the
maintenance schedule of the cable company and certain high traffic hours
than anything else. There's also a documented problem with the computer
going into stand-by mode and dropping the connection, which is not the
network's fault. Most of the time I am in hog heaven!

FYI on wireless and firewalls: My PC guy at work says I really don't
need to worry much about direct hacking from the Internet over the
wireless connection -IF- the wireless routing station has the node name
that the Internet knows about, and your computer is an 'alias' off of
that which the Internet doesn't know about. This means that you don't
really need a firewall active because the router, if it has its own node
name, acts as your firewall. Any direct hacking danger lies in the
interception of the radio signals by someone nearby - a neighbor, for
instance. If you leave the Internet connection and router on all the
time (as I tend to do), a neighbor could be using your Internet service
for free, if they have a compatible receptor for the signal., and they
cold possibly access your computer while you are on it. This is where
setting the encryption key comes in. This is a private 'key' (created by
you) between the router and your computer. Unless a computer knows the
encryption key, it can't decode the router's signals. I made a mistake
getting mine set up, and haven't retried it again, but since learning
about all this I think I will try it again. (You just have to make sure
you write it down properly when you set the router!)

These are my "2 cents worth". Thought I'd chime in, since I'm so
involved in these subjects at the moment, myself.

-Nancy Upshaw
Reston, VA

(An avid lurker...not an APG member - yet....but soon.)