APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2003-08 > 1060018551

From: Ruy Cardoso <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Junior, etc.
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:35:51 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:28:14 -0400
> From: "Barbara Mathews" <>
> Subject: Re: [APG] Junior, etc.
>
> You asked how the terms were used 200 years ago. I
> gave an answer from
> 350-200 years ago. So the next question is: when did
> Jr. begin to apply only
> to Sr.'s son? This I can't answer unequivocally.

I can't speak generally for the usage in the US, but I
have a database of parish records in Portugal which
shows that the use of "junior" exclusively for the son
of a "senior" was not yet happening as late as the
1870s. Then again, I do not see usage of "junior" in
this parish before the 1850s (and the database goes
back to the 1600s). A bit behind the fashion,
perhaps, and I've always been curious why the usage
suddenly erupted in the parish; the words are even
spelled the same as they are in English, which I would
not have expected. Perhaps someone familiar with UK
records has seen a similarly late use elsewhere on the
other side of the pond.

Ruy Cardoso