APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2003-08 > 1061501565

From: Joan Lowrey <>
Subject: Re: [APG] sobig virus
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:35:16 -0700

I'm getting the same thing. Norton's caught at least 40-50 already today.
All the sobig worm. Also getting returned e-mail that I didn't send out.
Norton's shows my virus
definitions, for which I get automatic updates, are current (8/20/03). I
ran a full scan earlier today and had no infected files.

For details on the worm and a removal tool, see
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/ type="text/javascript">DisplayMail('mm.html','w32.sobig.f');

What I don't know is whether I should run the fix anyway. Could it have
gotten into my computer before Norton's created a new definition for it
and updated my computer?

Joan N. Lowrey

>I'm aIso receiving e-mails about every ten minutes (starting early this
>morning) that have an attached file. They originate at MAILER-DAEMON or
> and all say "undeliverable" or "delivery status
>notification (failure)"
>or "returned mail - user unknown." I'm also receiving hundreds of e-mails
>from
>unknown people regarding "My details" or "your order" or "thank you" or "that
>movie." In addition to all this, I've received about 20 e-mails warning me of
>viruses or saying "Virus detected" or "virus in your e-mail." I get a lot of
>junk mail, but this is an incredible increase in volume in one day. I'm
>worried
>that something managed to send something out using my e-mail address, thus
>giving me hundreds of undeliverable messages and lots of strangers
>replying to
>me. Is that possible? Did any of you get something junk from me? I certainly
>hope not!
>
>I'm obviously not opening the attachments, but I'm curious at what is
>happening!
>
>Karen Green

This thread: