APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2003-11 > 1069015860

Subject: [APG] Genealogical Theory
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:51:00 EST

Jeff Birdsley <> wrote:

<< The biological subdiscipline concerned with genealogy is called
'phylogenetics'. Phylogeneticists produce trees depicting genetic
relationships, usually of species, but sometimes of individuals. >>

Michael Hammer, whose biotechnology laboratory at the University of Arizona
does the DNA tests for Family Tree DNA, equates phylogenetics with genealogy in
a recent review article co-authored with Stephen L Zegura, both associated
with the university's Department of Anthropology. (Hammer 2002, at p. 306)

Commenting on the school of phylogenetic systematics known as cladistics